Overall rating

Appearance

Louche

Aroma

Flavor / Mouthfeel

Finish

Overall

Appearance
Unlouched, crystal clear and haze free. The ever so slightest golden tint, however nearly colorless. Louched, grey/blue tinted white with a golden undertone. Some glints of violet, gold, orange, and rose.

Louche
Surprisingly, more louche than I was expecting. Takes a little bit to get going (75% and limited anethole). On the very translucent end of the acceptable spectrum. Moderate opalescence with pretty pastel colors.

Aroma
Holy wormwood, Batman! There's a reason for the name. Yep, there are other herbs present, but they're just living in wormwood's world. Very fruity, floral, slightly minty wormwood with just enough other support to legitimize this as absinthe. As it really warms, it becomes very flowery and powdery.

Flavor
Big wormwood with a thin wrapper of anise, fennel, and other herbs. A slight fine chalky texture to the mouthfeel. A little minty with subtle underlying spice. This is really all about the wormwood, and it delivers.

Finish
The finish follows the palate vibe perfectly... wormwood, wormwood, and more wormwood. Slightly minty, spicy, and mentholated. Ever so slightly drying and pulling, balanced by salivary stimulation. A confectionery tinge. Good length.

Overall
Well wormwood fans, welcome to the orgy. Like going to wormwood boot camp. I wouldn't want it all the time, but I really wish I had another bottle. Due to its idiosyncrasies, the score is what it is and doesn't really reflect how much I like it. If I were to ignore the review guidelines and reflect just that, the score would be about a half-point higher. My favorite dilution is right up around 5:1, but I gotta' say that it showed nicely anywhere from about 4:1 and up. Remarkably there is no excessive heat from that point (surprising for a 75% offering). And while I don't usually comment on packaging, I must say that the wax-dipped and sealed screw-cap is an amusing touch. Just the way to add a bit of luxe to that closure.

Wormwood Blanche... tempting tipple or didactic distillation? I think maybe both. What I do know is if life is like a box of absinthes, when you pick the WW Blanche, you know exactly what you're gonna' get.

Done with .75 and 1 ounce doses, diluted 4:1, 4.3:1, 4.5:1, 5:1 and no sugar.

Wormwood Blanche 5/30/11, 7/10/11, 2/04/12.
All evaluations had consistent notes.
M
Top 10 Reviewer 53 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Post a Comment