Overall rating

Appearance

Louche

Aroma

Flavor / Mouthfeel

Finish

Overall

with & without sugar - 2.5:1 water ratio

Appearance: Very nice, clear light green that shines like a gemstone. I only wish it was a tiny shade darker - then it would have gotten a perfect score.

Louche: It took a little while to build, which is good, but after that things went rather quickly. There is a lack of "trails."

Aroma: Un-louched - very sweet flavor that initially reminds me of anisette toast cookies. There is a classic absinthe profile that has a bit of that 'alpine freshness' I love. For the first time, I would say I sense a vegetal quality to the nose both from the louched glass that is not particularly pleasant (without sugar added).

Taste: My first impression was that I found this absinthe to be extremely sweet without sugar, and way over the top with it, but later, probably due to the slightly vegetal nose, I went back to the sugar. I don't have a whole lot to say here - It's balanced, and there is no strong alcohol bite. It has the taste I expect from high quality absinthe, but with no interesting complexities or special aspects, save for a dash of spiciness.

Finish: Very thin mouth feel - does not coat the mouth. Light pull on the tongue. The taste dies rather quickly and doesn't bring anything new to the table.

Overall: I was disappointed in this because at the time of purchase it seemed to be held in very high regard. I would say it is not at all on the level of the Doubs Mystique or Roquette offered by the distillery, which are both far more enjoyable to me. I don't want to make it sound like this absinthe is bad in any way, I just wasn't blown away. It is a top shelf absinthe... I guess I am spoiled by things like Marteau and also need to sense some sort of deep complexity in the absinthe to really score it high.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 1

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Post a Comment