Not worth your money
Overall rating

Appearance

Louche

Aroma

Flavor / Mouthfeel

Finish

Overall

This absinthe was produced by the Pernot distillery in Pontarlier, before they switched owners and started producing more interesting elixirs such as the Roquette 1797 and the Doubs Mystique.

The color was a completely natural-looking green, but neither bright nor nuanced (3/5). The louche was there, and natural, but it was disappointing - a little thin, and not particularly interesting to watch (2/5). If blindfolded, I would have correctly identified the aroma as that of authentic absinthe, but a little anise-heavy (not really revealing the other herbs) and unfortunately, the green fairy doesn't really fill the room after the louche (2/5). The flavor is also authentic, but a little too sweet, not really nuanced, and overall pretty 'thin' - this is the kind of absinthe that you really can't enjoy if you've had better varieties (2/5). The finish, too, was lacking - nothing unpleasant, but the flavors, what few there were, just didn't really linger (2/5). Overall, this is an unremarkable absinthe that isn't worth your money. The effects of it felt just like getting drunk off a regular spirit, there was none of that pleasant lucidity I associate with good absinthe.

For beginners, I would recommend starting with the Verte de Fougerolles instead, because it does a better job of showcasing what a good absinthe should be, without really knocking your socks off.
Z
Top 100 Reviewer 4 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Post a Comment