Overall rating

Appearance

Louche

Aroma

Flavor / Mouthfeel

Finish

Overall

Preparation
I filled my fountain with ice cold filtered water and ice, I gave the bottle a good half hour to breathe while I set up. I used a very slow drip of about one drop every two seconds. No sugar and I stopped the drip when I had a nice demarcation line of the of the Absinthe green on top. I then sped up the drip a bit until the line was gone, stopped the water and gave a quick stir.

Color Before Water
Murky at best, drab and disappointing. In the video located on the St. George web site - master Distiller Lance Williams says "it was either go for color or go for taste ~ I went for taste" I do admire him as an artist but take issue with his disregard for color. We dine and drink with our eyes as much as our bellies. Now maybe a disregard for the color of a Verte is easier, but easier doesn't mean better.

Aroma Before Water
I was a bit disappointed as it seemed weak and a bit off putting. Any trace of Anise is over shadowed by a "grassy" aroma, kind of like the way the smell of a fresh cut lawn would taste. The brandy base is nice and smooth - but any distinctive aroma seems hidden behind a heavy citrus note and the eclectic and unconventional assortment of herbs.

Louche
Sluggish, dull and in no way awe inspiring.

Aroma After Water
Faint and diluted. It's not offensive by any means but nor is it appetizing. The aroma seems to lack the fragrant bouquet I've found with most every Absinthe I've tried thus far from the Lucid to the Jades both the 1901 and the Edouard

Flavor
In my opinion the lemon balm is a too bright, I think of Absinthe as an Anise based drink but you really have to search your taste buds to find it. Perhaps Star Anise doesn't have the impact needed or perhaps the odd selection of herbs - especially the tarragon and Basil lend to it's unusual and to me anyway, off putting flavor. Mr. Williams attests that he's "not interested in Mass appeal and looks to find a small population of admirers for his new Absinthe" I certainly respect that, and have little doubt he'll find his fan base. What puzzles me is why, given the chance to produce one of the first legal Absinthe in the US one would choose to deviate so far from recipes that have defined Absinthe for centuries.

The Finish
Decent at best, a bit of a peculiar after taste, but the lingering notes of citrus are quite nice actually.An interesting drink no doubt - just not for me.

Final Impression
Great bottle, Great label and web site http://stgeorgespirits.com and although after a while it did grow on me ~ just not to the point I would buy it again. I think St. George will definitely find it's niche. It's a quality, well made product. Made with love and great affection. However it's attributes were lost on me. I'm sure St George will find it's place on the shelves of those who delight in unconventional - even odd offerings. I wish them luck
Report this review Was this review helpful? 3 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Post a Comment