Things are looking up in the US
Overall rating

Appearance

Louche

Aroma

Flavor / Mouthfeel

Finish

Overall

Sonja was gracious enough to send me a sample of Sirene the week of its debut. I should have been more gracious in adding my review in a timely manner. However, by taking some time, it allowed me to become a bit more acquainted with it as it breathed.

The color is attractive, yet a bit too dark for me. I think going a little easier on the coloration step would make it a bit brighter. Overall, still nice.

The louche is very enjoyable. Starts with some nice layering and builds to a greenish opalescence.

The aroma is intriguing. I smell all of the normal things you would expect in a traditional absinthe, but also some citrus, juniper and mint. Quite clean and crisp.

The flavor is just as intriguing. I pick up orange zest and lemon as well as the aforementioned mint. This is all along with the well balanced wormwood and anise. This would certainly be an enjoyable absinthe to drink on a warm day. Even with all that's going on in the flavor, I wouldn't consider it overwhelming in regards to the traditional flavors. In a blind tasting, I don't see anyone categorizing this as 'non-traditional'.

Finish is clean and crisp, with the customary anethole tongue numbing, but I'd like to taste a bit more wormwood, and have the finish last a bit longer.

Overall, this is a top notch absinthe. So far, the most traditional of the absinthes produced and currently available in the states (as of May 08). I need to find a store close to me that stocks this, as it will be a staple. I look forward to seeing what improvements are made in the coming months. This absinthe is quite promising. Well done!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 1

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Post a Comment