Very very good
Overall rating

Appearance

Louche

Aroma

Flavor / Mouthfeel

Finish

Overall

Having missed the first batch of 1797 to be produced, I wanted to make sure I got a bottle this time - and I'm very glad I did. Keeping in mind that this absinthe is supposedly from a very old recipe, when absinthe was more of a tonic rather than an aperitif, I was expecting something fairly medicinal and not very complex. I was pleasantly surprised to find that this absinthe has a lot to offer.

The neat color was a bright green. Louche is delicate and takes a while to develop properly. Make sure the water is very cold, and use a slow drip or you'll end up with a weak louche. At 3:1, I got a nice, opalescent louche with very complex aromas that filled the room -- anise, fennel, wormwood, and a bit of citrus.

The flavor is slightly medicinal and I can detect the wormwood quite easily. There seems to be a good balance of fennel and anise, and a bit of mint, spice and citrus. It also tastes a bit "green". The mouthfeel is round and full. This was a very enjoyable absinthe. One of the best I've had.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Post a Comment