Overall rating

Appearance

Louche

Aroma

Flavor / Mouthfeel

Finish

Overall

APPEARANCE:
Clear, amber-yellow color. Looks too bright yellow, artificial. Contains caramel coloring agent: E150c, which is not harmful, but E is E. There was some sediment in the bottle in the end.

LOUCHE: is very artificial and too oily, because of high saturation of star anise oil. It also starts at once.

Color after water is nicely yellowish and opaque.

AROMA:
Very strong/excessive smell of star anise, licorice and spirit. Very simple, but ok. Smell of licorice is very natural, like real roots. After adding a water there are no big changes happening, smell becomes nicer, still a lot of star anise and licorice, but no sharp spirit smell.

FLAVOR / MOUTH-FEEL:
Too much star anise oil, a very flat and simple drink. I like aroma better than taste. First mouth-feel is good, than there is mouth-numbing, because of a big amount of star anise.

FINISH:
The finish is harshly drying, not good.

OVERALL:
Not high quality drink. It seems like cheap spirit is mixed with star anise oil, licorice essences and caramel coloring. As aperitif it works great, makes good appetite, but after it mouth taste sensors become senseless and taste of food is not so pleasant. I expected more from this drink, it’s too simple. But it was my first pastis and it was very nice experience. In the end this drink became annoying and I could not finish the bottle as fast. I can't understand why such a low quality drink is so popular in France. I have no intention to buy it again.
D
Report this review Was this review helpful? 8 4

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Post a Comment