(Updated: April 06, 2010)
Overall rating

Appearance

Louche

Aroma

Flavor / Mouthfeel

Finish

Overall

Color: This was the first blanche I've tried, so I had no means of comparison at the time of my original review. The absinthe was clear when poured, with only the slightest amount of any haze or diffusion, but I've since tried three other blanches and am dropping this one from a 4 to a 3 on that count, since the clarity was not as sharp in comparison.

Louche: The louche was a bit too greasy-looking, compounded by the fact that there was little activity beyond the oily trails themselves. It picked up some pleasant-looking billows eventually, but it didn't last very long via the fountain method. However, with a carafe-style stream of water, the louche lasts to at least 4:1, which is notable.

Aroma: This one seems to have a crisp, rich wormwood with some sweetness that captures your attention immediately without being overbearing. There was just the tiniest bit of sourness and grassiness prior to loucheing, but the aroma rounds out in mid-louche.

Flavor: PF is light and refreshing without being simple or one-dimensional, even if the nice minty bitterness of the wormwood grabs your attention immediately. Unlike the other blanches I've tried, this one is noticeably sweet already, but a half teaspoon of agave gives it a more luxurious mouthfeel.

Finish: The finish is not too heavy nor extremely long-lasting, but leaves a pleasant aftertaste.

Overall: Pere Francois is a welcome glass of Alpine-inspired refreshment that is a perfect counterbalance to the heat of summer. I had initially expected blanches to be weak compared to the vertes, but in fact the flavor of this one was light, sharp, and very tasty. This is my girlfriend's favorite of the blanches, and I would recommend it to anyone who has a bit of a sweet tooth. Since I didn't find this one to be as pleasantly complex, I dropped my original "overall" rating from a 4 to a 3.
J
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Post a Comment