(Updated: September 24, 2008)
Overall rating

Appearance

Louche

Aroma

Flavor / Mouthfeel

Finish

Overall

I was very excited to try this absinthe, having a soft spot in my heart for Spanish absentas. The newest version, which I received on 9/24/08 is a dramatic improvement to the first release I tasted.

Color: A vibrant, attractive peridot green.

Louche: Very nice looking louche, building well, and ending thick and attractive.

Aroma: Floral and sweet with a nice hint of anise. The wormwood is somewhat subdued, but not in a bad way.

Flavor: The flavor is much more light and refreshing than the original Spanish offering. I really enjoy it. The anise is pleasantly sweet. Not cloying at all. The wormwood plays a nice supporting role, adding a light bitterness with pairs nicely with the mint. The mint is subtle, just lending a bit more assertiveness to the wormwood.

Finish: Here's where we see the most dramatic improvement. The finish is sweet and lingers in the back of your mouth. Again, just a touch of wormwood. I can see where they would call this a 'feminine' absinthe. This isn't an absinthe I'd turn to on a cold winter's night. It's more something I'd either drink in the summer, or with a meal.

Overall: It's nice to see an absinthe that Spain can proudly call their own. This is worthy of being in anyone's collection.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Post a Comment