Review Detail

1.5 23 0.5
Third formulation, strange and challenging.
(Updated: October 07, 2008)
Overall rating

Appearance

Louche

Aroma

Flavor / Mouthfeel

Finish

Overall

Pale olive before louche, this out-of-left-field absinthe tastes quite good neat. I could see it making for some interesting cocktails.

The louche is over quickly, without much in the way of trails, and the result is translucent and muted, almost as if the herbs have been taken from the morgue.

It smells more like a vegetable garden than a floral one, with the alcohol much more present before the louche. Afterwards, the aroma is more toned down and balanced. I don't smell much in the way of anise or wormwood, but I am getting plenty of vegetables with cinnamon.

This carries on to the flavour which makes the drink taste not very much like absinthe to this set of taste buds. There are subtle notes of anise and wormwood, but this is covered by the citrus, cinnamon and something very much like vegetable pulp (parsley mixed with celery?). The finish lingers well enough, but the citrus hangs around like an unwelcome guest, refusing to leave.

I'm a fan of cinnamon and that's what drew me to this drink, but I'm not very partial to citrus when it comes to absinthe. In fact, Montmartre reminds me of the horrible Doubs Premium from South Africa, even though it is much better crafted. I'd say Montmartre's second edition is not for everyone, but if you like citrus and cinnamon, as well as challenging your taste buds with something different, it's definitely worth a try.

Still, I have a feeling it's going to take me a long time to work through this bottle. Hopefully some cocktails will help that along nicely.

EDIT: I was under the impression that this was the second formulation but have since found that it is the Troisième edition.
D
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Post a Comment