(Updated: March 05, 2011)
Overall rating

Appearance

Louche

Aroma

Flavor / Mouthfeel

Finish

Overall

Here is a case where I feel that the whole adds up to more than the sum of the parts.

Yes, the color is yellowish, but only because its creator, Steffano Rossoni, had a vision of a super-floral, and perfumy absinthe, and the mystery herb that contributed those wondrous qualities also happened to be responsible for the lack of a peridot, or emerald hue. IMO, I'd much rather sniff that glorious aroma, and taste that profound perfume, and sacrifice some of the visuals.

As far as the louche is concerned, yes, it is on the thin side, but only (once again) to allow that perfuminess to hold sway over the palate, and the addition of more anise would have destroyed much of that delicate floral balance. That being said, I found the louche to be quite adequate for the style, and nowhere near as thin as those of the Roquette, or Belle Amie.

Some drinkers have been put off by the extreme perfuminess, but I find it to be exquisite, and there is an accompanying dryness (this is one of the more austerely dry absinthes I've ever tasted) that further emphasizes the aforementioned attributes.

For my money, this is the finest commercial absinthe (along with L'Artianale) to be produced, to date.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 19 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Post a Comment