One of my favorites!
Overall rating

Appearance

Louche

Aroma

Flavor / Mouthfeel

Finish

Overall

Color: This is a very nice green. It is bright but not light, solid but not opaque, and in fact very clear. It is definitely a natural color and is full. This is a strong verte hue that is still bright and clear. Magnificent.

Louche: The louche is slow to start but has lots of oil trails. A nice gradient performs with the clouds starting at the bottom of the glass. The louche ends with a nice thickness and depth. Tints of the original color are left if you look hard enough in the right light.

Aroma: This is a very distinct aroma. It is definitely spicy and still very herbal, which is just my type. Fennel, anise, and wormwood are up front with other spices in the background, including something nutmeg-ish. Higher dilution displays more wormwood, lower dilutions have more anise. Even at higher ratios there is some alcohol heat detected in the smell.

Flavor: Unbelievable! This is a complex gem of a drink. It tastes like it smells with spicy notes puncturing just before the rising bitter-sweet blanket of the main herbal mixture. And yet it is smooth with an almost almond flavor and texture. Every part of the tongue can enjoy this drink. A bit higher ratio is preferred even by me not only due to the high proof but also to allow more of the drink to breathe and come to life. Usually I like my absinthe stronger but the flavor is so rich I don't have to let it be that way and I can get the benefit of a higher ratio while still getting strong flavor.

Finish: The finish lingers around for a good bit of time with the fennel showcasing itself mostly at this stage along with a rising sweet tone. The finish numbs the mouth a bit but doesn't force itself at all. Smooth and delightful.

Overall: This is an amazing drink. It is complex and definitely one to savor. It plays on just about every part of the tongue and is rich with subtle flavors to taste with each sip. Very well done!
E
Top 10 Reviewer 70 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 8 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Post a Comment