DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

My bad, By PF I meant the real, Pernod & fils.

PF1901 is a very nice clone made by Jade. Jade's website calls it JL1901 now, probably cause they got a letter from Pernod-Ricard. Undestandably since PF1901 should stand for the real Pernod from 1901, and not its very exellent clone. Not that Pernod-Ricard cares about that, since their current swil is an insult to their past.

Good old stuff form Oxy's site:

Pernod-1905-21KB.jpg

Label of current, and tasty, clone:

JLlabelset.jpg

Edited by Miguel

The 1901 and Eddy...

Wish I knew what PF tastes like.

The latter is in a whole 'nother universe from the former, that's fer sure.

Sauvage.The color is sort of on the "brownish" side.Sort of reminds me of autumn leaves.(the botanicals,not the song) It looks a little bit like the pics I've seen of pre-ban stuff.What a great absinthe.How can I ever go back to or even attempt to defend Kübler again?

Edited by redwun

Not sure about tonight but right now, just some strong coffee.

Enjoying a lil Caffeine myself this fine spring morning. But I do see some Ridge Verte on the horizon.

Pretty cool!

Yeah, she plays a mean washboard. Ha! Now thats not something you don't hear everyday

Edited by Songcatcher

In my new fancy (for me) faceted Pontarlier glass, Ridge Verte. :)

I'm still trying to makes heads or tails out of Stefano's l'ancienne the other night. It reminded us of Christmas, with its creamy spiciness. It was awesome, but unlike anything I've tried. Maybe L'arty and JL1901 have some similarities, but that is about it. Whatever it is, TASTY it is for sure. :)

Edited by Miguel

How can I ever go back to or even attempt to defend Kübler again?

Yeah, basically. :harhar:

A glass of Jade VS/Berger/whatever the kids are calling it these days. :cheers:

That said, it's MUCH better than the Germain-Robin I tried out earlier.

That said, it's MUCH better than the Germain-Robin I tried out earlier.

Rose geranium bombs not your thing?

I sinked it. :secret2:

I'm with you on this one, Ambear. I don't think I've finished a single glass.

Here's a post I put in the G-R thread about a year ago.

I pulled the two evaluations I referred to in the post, and one agrees with your Total Score, and one is 1/10th less. And I think I was trying to offer every benefit of the doubt. I don't know if I'll ever post a formal review, but here are some of my notes (in the categories that really count) from the two sheets:

Aroma

"...sharp lemon... aggressive star anise... makes my nasal cavities itch. In spite of... high quality ingredients, just not inviting or promising of a good experience."

Flavor/Mouthfeel

"Thick, slick, oily mouthfeel. ... disjointed. Not the kind of refreshment absinthe should provide."

Finish

"Powdery, drying, astringent, harsh... a star anise onslaught... just jack-hammers away at the tongue. Some cooling happens after a major assault. By then, anything else would be welcome."

Overall Impression

"I just can't figure out what this is trying to say... chaos in a bottle."

I sinked it. :secret2:

Not just you either. I can put up with a lot but clearing out the sink seemed more important.

That was what? 2 absinthes down the drain this weekend? (Knarr)

But what about the bloody rum mate?

I've never been a fan of rum. Or blood.

I'm with you on this one, Ambear. I don't think I've finished a single glass.

I don't think I have either. I made it about half way with my first glass. I revisited it once and threw that one in the sink after about two sips. I've yet to work up the taste buds to review it.

Edited by baubel

I did nothing but drink Egg Nog and Rum for Christmastime. Coincidentally a 4:1 ratio worked out the best, so I began using my La Rochere glasses. :)

My dad would disown me if I used Centenario for rum and cokes. Regretfully Specs no longer carries Venado fire-water which is awesome for that.

I need to see if wiki can illustrate the difference between rum and firewater. Both are from sugarcane, and some fire waters are better than some rums.

Doubtless.

It would probably make cleaning up after brewing even the richest beer seem like a walk in the park.

But, damn, I'd wager that Pacific rum would be a knockout.

OK, I give up. Central American firewater, as best as I can make it, is just plain distilled sugarcane juice (unsold sugar cane is often used to make booze, and some conservative land owners would rather burn their unsold sugarcane because of it). Rum is also distilled sugarcane juice as far as I know. Is the difference that rum is aged? (6-23 years in the case of Centenario).

How would you get fresh sugarcane in Seattle? Maybe your could open a franchaise in South Tx or South Louisiana. :)

Also, rectified rum (Ron seco) would should make a decent absinthe base, since rectifying would rob most of the sugarcane flavor? Of course absinthe herbs don't realy grow where sugarcane grows.

I'm gonna have to try that combo..

Washing down a couple of cucumbers and a box of good 'n' plenty with a can of Oskar Blues Gubna. Huge hop aroma, but the flavor is a little more to the bitter side than I care for these days. I've been favoring Avery Maharaja and Firestone Double Jack lately, so the Gubna had some stiff competition.