DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Well... what a new tasting experience. I tasted E. Pernot's Liqueur De Violette earlier this evening. I was so blown away, I pulled out the bottle of Rothman & Winters Creme De Violette I had lying around, and tasted them side by side (that's "side by each" for you Canadians!). The difference is so stark that I fear that I have never tasted a proper Aviation Cocktail. Makes me wonder what excellent Marischino is like... ?

Finishing up, while I post this, with a little E. Pernot Genepi Liqueur. Yum.

The Bijou is one of my favorites, it never would have occurred to me to change anything. But I'm going to have to try the Bayou (nice tweak on the name AiO!)

:cheers:

Hope you enjoy it, BK.

After 5 days in Denver for the Great American Beer Festival, some WATER and rest sound amazing. TONS of beer, and we'd finish off each night with whiskey at .. well, Whiskey Bar! Somehow we managed to go through $200 of bourbon (15 year old Pappy, 18 year old Elijah Craig, Bookers [the least favorite of the bunch] etc) during the last 30 minutes before last call on our last night in town.

So tonight, water.

I tasted E. Pernot's Liqueur De Violette earlier this evening. I was so blown away, I pulled out the bottle of Rothman & Winters Creme De Violette I had lying around, and tasted them side by side (that's "side by each" for you Canadians!). The difference is so stark that I fear that I have never tasted a proper Aviation Cocktail.

I have never tasted the Pernot violette, but the G. Miclo CdV was a revelation to me compared to the Winters.

You know, that Berthe stuff!

Yes, I have such fond memories of that first bottle. :)

With a fresh supply, it's back to work on that "first" bottle. I've been trying to use up the citrus fruit on hand over the last few days. Figures I'd find something Kathy likes, now I gotta buy more lemons. Too bad she doesn't like absinthe since I really have to stop buying this stuff.

Too bad she doesn't like absinthe since I really have to stop buying this stuff.

Sounds like Tish.

And that's what I always say, for all the good it does. :rolleyes:

A glass of L'Artisanale. :)

Never thought I'd have the chance to try this one and I'm very thankful that the opportunity unexpectedly presented itself. It's simply one of the best balanced commercial absinthes I've ever had the pleasure of tasting. It resembles others from the Pernot family for sure, with its bold, spicy character, minty Pontarlier wormwood, and thick louche. But the flavors are incredibly well integrated and in perfect harmony, with no one ingredient dominating the others. I didn't detect any of the alcohol heat others have commented on in reviews; this may because my sample was from a bottle that has been open for several years. In fact, I was really surprised and taken with its sweetness--a pronounced note of candied anise that I found irresistible. I nursed the glass for well over an hour and I feel like crying now that it's empty. It's a real shame this is no longer being produced.

I recently had the opportunity to taste Berthe de Joux as well, and I have to say that as much as I enjoyed it, I prefer this. Too bad for me.