DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Sipping a glass of Berthe de Joux.

Speaking of cigar absinthes... :mbanana: (onacuz we don't have a cigar emoticon).

Berthe de Joux is a 'cigar absinthe'?

As Brian commented in his review, it's a really masculine absinthe that pull no punches. Big anise, big fennel, and a really big wormwood, and peppery finish.

If that ain't a cigar absinthe, I don't know what is. B)

I've got a small glass of a Jade dripping.

Thanks again Phoenix. :)

:cheers:

I must make a note to put in an order soon.

Wish that order could include a little something from Montana. :wave2:

It just started raining..... :yahoo:

Edited by Hedonmonkey

Revisiting Pacifique after a couple of months. I must say, after having some of the best absinthe there is,

Marc's absinthe is right up there! It is so good, and I like it better than ever! There is a ramped-up herbal element that is very fresh and tasty (that I've also noticed in Walton Waters) that I find delicious...perhaps it is Pontica? Good good stuff, and it was my first REAL absinthes, 41 absinthes ago! As I said, it is better than ever to me now.

Hard to believe, with your compendium of solid reviews, that you've only been into real absinthe for such a relatively short time.

That's what I call devoted. :cheers:

Ok, so Absomphe and the rest of the beer nerds....(I say this with great affection, as a nerd myself).

Tonight I was at the Falling Rock multi-tap in Denver, and at 10pm we tapped the very last keg for the GABF celebration. It was New Belgian's sour ale aged in our Leopold Bros. Blackberry Whiskey barrels. It is a complete stunner. Easily the best beer I've ever had in that style...and I'm not just saying that for the obvious reasons. It had the beautiful purply-black color our Blackberry Whiskey, and the flavors of currents, gooseberries, and marionberries. Just-----wow. So pleased to play a small part.

The stunning thing is that Lauren, the Master Blender at New Belgium, didn't add a thing to the beer----it's just their very golden sour ale and our barrels. I was blown away by the flavors and colors that the blackberries added. She's a true artist.

So, as to the important details, I believe that she set aside a few bottles for me, and when she gets the time to deliver them to me, I'll be shipping off bombers to you. I have no doubt whatsoever that you'll be as amazed as I by the complexity of the beer, as well as how well the flavors blend together. I'm really at a loss for words, and I have no doubt you'll feel the same way. If you're a fan of beer, I don't see how you wouldn't be over the moon about this beer.

I can't wait to see what she'll do with our Peach Whiskey and Apple Whiskey barrels. I was so amazed by the finished beer that I remarked to my assistant that I'd make a Montmorency Cherry Whiskey just to see what Lauren would do with the spent barrels.

What a lovely evening!

Sounds terrific Todd!

I started slow with a martini or two. Our kids were in town with their kids and then some of their friends came over and it was ON! I felt quite brilliant last night but not so much this morning.

We sipped Raspberry mead, absinthe, lemoncello, lemon-limecello and orange cello. Oh, there were a few beers thrown in for balance but it was an interesting evening. We've known those kids since they were in second grade with our daughter. They remarked how weird it was to be sitting around drinking with me. I had genuine fun.

Now the suffering. NOT!!!!

Oh, my son brought his hookah and I sat on the back porch with them for quite a spell. I just watched.<shrug>

Absolutely incredible news, Todd!

I'm already salivating (and very grateful) at the prospect of tasting such an amazing brew.

Congratulations on what sounds like one hell of a collaborative effort. :cheers:

Absolutely incredible news, Todd!

I'm already salivating (and very grateful) at the prospect of tasting such an amazing brew.

Congratulations on what sounds like one hell of a collaborative effort. :cheers:

Well, the collaboration consisted of me telling Lauren: "don't change a thing", and making sure that there was a bit of whiskey left in the bottom of the barrel, knowing that it would make a huge difference in the final beer.

I have to say, again, that she and I were simply beaming at the outcome of this little experiment. Looks like it's going to be a full time gig between our companies...the results are simply unreal. Happily, our fruit whiskey sales have been climbing rather fast, leaving us with a faster barrel dump rate, and more barrels for New Belgium.

What's going to be really fun is when we start dumping Apple Whiskey barrels that were initially used to age our Small Batch American Whiskey.

Looks like it's going to be a full time gig between our companies...

Looks like I'm gonna be drinking more New Belgium than ever. :)

I've been a big fan of La Folie since its inception, and the Eric's Ale has really grown on me. It's the perfect summer sour.

I have little doubt that the ales aged in your barrels will be a fine marriage, indeed.

Looks like it's going to be a full time gig between our companies...the results are simply unreal. Happily, our fruit whiskey sales have been climbing rather fast, leaving us with a faster barrel dump rate, and more barrels for New Belgium.

What's going to be really fun is when we start dumping Apple Whiskey barrels that were initially used to age our Small Batch American Whiskey.

What a partnership and what a wonderful project!

I am enjoying genepy liqueur from an experiment that quickly became a proto to beat. It is a beautiful thing when everything balances out on the first try. Soft as silk with plenty of body. Mouth-filling goodness if you will. I like it. :cheers:

Those both sound tasty. I remember a chocolate covered cherry coffee drink I once had; I wonder if there's a mixed drink that could use both of them.

I'm sipping on Navan. It's not my favorite thing in the world, but it's not bad either.

I would like Navan more if it were not quite so sweet. The Madagascar vanilla is wonderful.

The entire weekend, all I managed was an ounce of kirsch, but it was fine.

The Mocha Liqueur came into being because our favorite liquor stores don't carry a quality Creme de Cocoa. I've been looking around for cocktails that work particularly well Silvertip. The Gin Alexander works great with Silvertip and so does the Mocha Liqueur.

The Flathead Cherry is simply a requirement here.

I was sipping on a Bijou cocktail earlier this evening when it struck me: what would happen if you substituted Herbsaint Original for the green Chartreuse? They're both around 100 proof and powerfully herbal; heck, they're both green! I swapped out the orange bitters for creole-style bitters while I was at it too.

The result: the Bayou cocktail.

And it's delicious. :thumbup:

We had a couple of glasses of absinthe before dinner and now we're sipping on martinis. Jules is concentrating on on upgrading our rooms for the impending visit to Seattle. She does have fun.

I was sipping on a Bijou cocktail earlier this evening when it struck me: what would happen if you substituted Herbsaint Original for the green Chartreuse?

Now that is a man with an open mind! The Bijou is one of my favorites, it never would have occurred to me to change anything. But I'm going to have to try the Bayou (nice tweak on the name AiO!)

My boss, an old friend of mine, just had a booze order come in that included a bottle of rye. I asked if he had ever had a Sazerac, he didn't know what I was talking about. I dropped off a small sample bottle of absinthe today. And then made a couple for me and the wife when I got home this evening.