DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Some more celebration of sunshine on the crumbling deck- Lucid, Balance, Clandestine, and what I thought was my last glass of Helfrich. But it looks like there's one more left in the bottle. Awww Yeah!

gbhelfvert1dtp9.jpg

All that said, I'm very proud to now say I have finally had my 1st absinthe. I may have to turn to DUNY or LDF for my next taste, since the only brand to be found on the shelves here in Texas seems to be Lucid.

Be careful of which credit cards you use to purchase from LDF. Some have a 2% charge for international purchases. Mine is 1%, but I am thinking about getting a Capital One card since they add 0%.

More like questioning the style, which just happenes to be showcased in the latest issue of BA.

I'd love to get my hands on either of those two. Might have to make a run up to Brawley's.

Tried 'em both a couple of years ago.

They were both very good, but the Urthel was, well, earthier.

The Belgians tend to use more aromatic Czech hops in their IPAs, which work better with their fruity yeasts than the high alpha American hops that our microbrewers tend to bludgeon us with, especially in Imperials...not that a good bludgeoning isn't fun, mind you.

Yes, and it's at 3.98 on Ratebeer.com, and it's way overrated, at that.

Lots of bitter chocolate, and coffee, super-heavy body, very ashy (even moreso than The Abyss), and too much alcoholic heat. Perhaps aging the one bottle I have for a year, or two will help, but despite some good flavors, the stuff is out of balance, and too crudely over the top, for my taste.

There may be some widely varying opinions on how well those three guys named Fllloyd handled its way over the top nature, but it's gotta much more bettererer than Black Butte!

Belgian style IPA?
Chouffe? Urthel?

Mine! Achouffe yeast, 3 additions of Saaz & Amarillo & a little dry hopping.

The Urthel Hop-it it pretty good, but I love the Houblon Dobbelen IPA Tripel, them gnomes make some tasty brews.

Right now I'm sipping on a Fort Collins IPA.

Do you think there's a limit on how long it could keep?

With that much malt, and 13% alcohol?

Um, no.

Hell, I've enjoyed 25 year old lambics, and those suckers were only 6%.

Of course, in those cases it must be the Brett that allows 'em to age for an eternity.