DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Ran out of the ol' Kub a while back and I didn't want to harsh my dwindling Clandestine too much before I have some friends over next weekend...so I picked up my first bottle of Razzouk.

Man oh man...that stuff puts the "grape" in "grape base"! And I'm missing the wormwood and fennel that hang out like polite guests the way they do in Kübler. But I think I like it.

Razzouk is tasty alright. If I'm out of absinthe, I usually drink gin. Well, that's how it's been for a year or so. The better gins have made me a fan.

I had a Moose Drool brown ale while grilling this evening though. I just can't grill without booze. It's a RULE!!!!

:twitchsmile:

Got to stomach the rest of the quart of mikes hard lemonade the wife couldnt drink. She claimed stomach ache. This stuff tastes like water after 5 vodka martinis. I just cant stand alcohol abuse, rather than sink it, might as well gut it. Probably be making some lucids soon. My palate has been destroyed im sure. But my palate is young, and the absinthe will taste all the better after Mikes swill lemonade. Looking foward to tomarow, after the photo shoot (home photo party bs to make someone else money), will be drinking the best homebrew my best friend and I created (Basement Brewery) porter, out of the keg. We are rookies tho, but its damn fine porter, no ageing yet, its our first all grain, first kegged, and first force carbinated. It is by far better than the 10 or so extract beers we made and bottled before it.

My L'Italienne has run into a bit of a snag I reckon. No sign of it yet. Is it good?

Most definitely! The decision to use a different wormwood than Pontarlier makes a big difference in the flavor profile. It's another one that needs some coaxing for the louche, but it's worth it.

dannyhawaii, that is a nice looking cocktail. I've been trying various gin and sweet vermouth cocktails lately and really enjoying them.

Tried a couple of new whiskey cocktails last night, first a Hearn's Cocktail with Bushmill's Black Bush, and then a Tipperary. The Hearn's was good, my wife really liked it, it was a little too heavy on the pastis for my taste but I was happy enough to drink it. I preferred the Tipperary, the green Chartreuse adds a pretty big herbal quality to the drink, but not so much as if I were having a gin cocktail. That finished off my supply of Irish ...

My L'Italienne has run into a bit of a snag I reckon. No sign of it yet. Is it good?

Most definitely! The decision to use a different wormwood than Pontarlier makes a big difference in the flavor profile. It's another one that needs some coaxing for the louche, but it's worth it.

Most definitely, what Shabba said.

I louched one with very cold water yesterday for about 7 minutes, and the louche was better than Belle Amie's.

That Italian wormwood is remarkably floral, (and about as prominent as it is the Mystique0 and there's this honeysuckle, and violet, (or lavender) flavor that's incredibly delicious, and unique.

Saison Dupont on the wonderful afternoon.

Razzouk next, I picked up a bottle in CA, I've only had one taste a couple nights ago. Is it made with green anise?

A glass of St Antoine (Thanks, Shabba!).

Interesting little beverage that could be a pretty good absinthe. I don't think it's quite there, yet.

Review submitted. Does that thing work now?

So I said that I'd be trying the Waldorf Cocktail the other evening, but I never got around to it. It was so hot in PDX that I went straight for the Gin & Tonic (we're using New Amsterdam Gin, a fairly new mid-priced product that is very, very tasty) and never looked back.

Well, almost never looked back. I did louche up a glass of Serpis Red 65, which I iced down and enjoyed while dominating a few rounds on Poker Stars. That's a nice beverage to accompany some cards. Especially when I'm cackling at getting such good hands...

Last night, it was a bottle of Willamette Valley Vineyards Cluster-Fermented Pinot Noir 2006, which is a light-bodied pinot. It was a refreshing accompaniment to the Olympic diving on the telly, served with marinated beef short ribs and beans. Yummy!

Tonight I'll get to the Waldorf Cocktail, to go with a dinner of Coke Chicken & baked potatoes. Mmmm. Finally, a good use for HFCS-laced Coke!

Maggie the Cat got me started on morning 'medicinals', which is hot tea with a generous splash of absinthe. So far my favorite is Stash's wonderfully mild Green and White tea with about a third of a dose of blanche that's heavy on the wormwood. I just haven't figured out how to have them at work, yet. :thumbup:

I am here with some Swedish ne'er do well, and we are drinking absinthe. I'll tell you what it is. Except for those things we cannot mention:

CO Marteau

HG :censor2:

CO Sirene

La Ptite

Lamb and veggie stew with Swedish HG blueberry wine

HG :censor1:

St George

Le Tourment (aka puke water, we sank it after 1 sip)

HG :censor3:

Next will be an ice cream break at Penguin Custom ice cream. Then back from more drunk-end absinthe.

And perhaps Swedish dance of the frogs. Done every summer around the mid-summer pole. Very famous and good for your liver after all these absinthes.

:drunk:

Great. Now I have "Dancing Queen" stuck on my head. Thanks a lot.

Only 1 hour and 42 minutes until I can go home and louche my brains out. It is so hot here in OC today, and nice cold glass of absinthe would be lovely right now.

Sounds great, Dakini!

I've had a L'Italienne without sugar and one with. I like this absinthe, very much! Having some Twin Tec right now, also very good!

Thanks, you two! I just got off You Tube- ABBA!