DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

The wife and I opened our bottle of 2007 Alpha Omega Rose, it's the only Rose I've had that I like, and it was very nice. Not sweet at all, but still light, crisp and fruity. This is what Rose should be, not the gross sweet crap that is so typically labelled as such.

Had a couple of Montmartres with a dash of Fee Brothers Mint bitters in each.

T73, you should give that a try if you still haven't got rid of your Monty, as we seem to have the same reaction to that controversial Austrian greenery.

I left my Monte with MTGrayling. Figures.

Thanks to the kindness of bksmithey, I had a sip of Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey. That's pretty damn good! :cheers: Also thanks to bksmithey, I'll get to try Leopold's Gin this evening. I'm looking forward to this!

Stone Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout.

Really bitter chocolate-y, really roasty, really silky, and, like the Deschutes Black Butte XX Porter, too young to be anywhere near peak yet, but there's no excessive heat, at least.

You'll have to post an informal review of the gin at least T. I just home from work and am settling down with a glass of Brevans, it's rather yummy.

Sounds like a Stranahan's night, I'll have one with you, T. :cheers: And I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Leopold's Gin as well. I haven't bought a bottle yet myself, but I will eventually. I really like the idea of having these guys (both Stranahan's and Leopold Bros.) right in my back yard.

"Sweet Tart" Cherry Melomel.

I can't find the mead thread so I'll just post here.

1 gallon sourwood honey

4.5 gallons water

yeast nutrients

71B yeast

secondary, add 2 quarts of Tart Cherry concentrate to secondary

Age four years and .....

Drink.

I left my Monte with MTGrayling. Figures.

~1 Year old uncle Monte's pineverted wormwood what-have-you, with "Just as weird as the first" weirdness.

It's weird it is.

Sounds like a Stranahan's night, I'll have one with you, T. :cheers: And I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Leopold's Gin as well.

I'm still diggin' the whiskey, BK!

I made a couple of martinis for me, Maggie and Attack Accountant with the Leopold. I understand why he was resistant to martini-ness in the Leopold thread. It is a very interesting gin but I don't think it lends itself to a martini. A Tonic, a Gin Fizz or a Tom Collins would probably all work great but the martini was (IMHO) overwhelmed by the Leopold gin. Hell, I can see a very refreshing drink with just Leopold Gin and ice.

I have to play with this one, Leopold. It's a bold Gin and I don't see it sharing the glass with many mixers. I'm still a relative gin-beginner but this one is going to be a lot fun to learn about. It's clearly a well-made beverage and I can see why you're very proud of it. Now, I just need to get my taste buds up to speed.

I am by no means equipped or experienced in making cocktails...since my absinthe exploration voyage kicked off in November 07, pretty much all of my alcohol budget has gone towards absinthe (and shipping it). I wasn't really exploring much booze (aside from a bit of saki) before that.

I visited the Zig Zag (based on this site's recommendation) a while back and had my first Sazerac. Though they were out of Lucid at the time and made it with Herbsaint, I was pretty impressed at the intense citrus and rye flavor, followed by an amazingly crisp, bone dry finish.

Tonight I went to pick up a bottle of Lucid at the local liquor store, but someone was educated enough to put the Peychaud's bitters next to it, and I was compelled to pick some up along with a bottle of Pikesville rye (thanks to Cocktail Chronicles for the review on that). In my fist attempt, I think I used too much whiskey (hey, it was a big glass), but I think I'll have to give it another go!

I also recently discovered a version of the Tremblement de Terre, which I'll have to go into later.

My fist attempt ever at an absinthe cocktail was a DITA, and I used 1 part Lucid to 3 parts Champaign (I think it was Korbel, but it might have been Cook's). It was pretty nasty and I ended up sinking it.

Maybe I'm just a lightweight, but I seem to like the Sazerac more with a bit more bitters and absinthe, and less rye. And as with my absinthe, I prefer it with a couple ice cubes. That's probably NOLA sacrilege or somethin, but so be it!

I also found some reasonably heavy little rocks glasses at BevMo for a buck ninety-nine each, what a deal.

I'm with you on that one Doc...on my second attempt, I think I got the bitters, absinthe, and rye ratio ok, but used too much sugar. Oh well, I 'll have to try again another evening.

I have to play with this one, Leopold. It's a bold Gin and I don't see it sharing the glass with many mixers. I'm still a relative gin-beginner but this one is going to be a lot fun to learn about. It's clearly a well-made beverage and I can see why you're very proud of it. Now, I just need to get my taste buds up to speed.

I'm pleased that you didn't sink it. It is a bold Gin, but I still believe that it is very soft, and has a very rounded finish. Or at least that's my opinion.

Here's a drink made with Leopold's Gin at Absinthe in San Fran. I've been told my mixologists that it's very mixable, for whatever that's worth.

Bijou cocktail served at Absinthe

Recipe for Bijou Cocktail

Drinkboy and Brennvin will be pleased, as it uses bitters.

Bottoms up!

I managed a highball made with Evan Williams Green Label and Mexican Coca-Cola (the kind made with real cane sugar). Not too sweet, not too tart, just right. Mmmm.

And that was on a tummy still recovering from a food poisoning incident over the weekend. Tonight I shall return to form by pouring a sample of the Leopold Bros. Absinthe that bksmithey sent along!

Rothman & Winters Apricot, Ciroc Vodka, lots of ice a splash of soda and squeeze of Lemon. Really bright, juicy and refreshing.

Later, a few glasses of Kübler :twitchsmile:

........and Mexican Coca-Cola (the kind made with real cane sugar). Not too sweet, not too tart, just right. Mmmm.

It's amazing (and not surprising) how much better cocktails taste when you use cane sugar Coca-Cola. Corn syrup is nasty stuff. I make a dark rum, and a rum and coke with the cane sugar is like night and day compared to the US Coke.

Trillium, Leopold#4, several Pacificos(yeah, I know, beach beer) and some Alaskan Amber,a lil' hit o' PF 1901, some Patron, and more beach beer. So far anyway...

Well, there is something to be said for moderation. :devil:

Having some older Jade VS tonight. While variety is nice, between trying whatever new absinthe I can get my hands on and stretching it with arak, Ricard, and the occasional gin, scotch or beer, there's also something to be said for the silly grin I get when I first get a whiff of whatever that stuff is in most Jade absinthe that I think is the tastiest and most splendorous scent ever.

buddhasynth, that Alaskan Amber is great beer. We FINALLY got Alaskan here in Colorado a few weeks ago. I've sampled a few times at the Great American Beer Festival in years past, and on occasional trips out west, but now I can get it anytime. I'm not normally one for American micro "amber beer", too often that turns out to be the bland beer for those who don't want to drink the brewery's hop bomb or other interesting beer, but the Alaskan is a really nice malty beer.

Tonight for me it's a Sazarac (got turned onto them through this forum, they have defintely replaced the Manhattan as my favorite whiskey cocktail), followed by a Dark 'n' Stormy made with a very tasty ginger beer that I picked up at Whole Foods Market.

Leopold, that Bijou cocktail sounds wonderful, I'll have to add that to my list of cocktails that I need to try ...

Tonight will be a Sirene night, followed by a Sazerac (made with Pernod 68). Then, perhaps, inspired by the crowd, a Sailor Jerry & Mexican Coke. Mmmmm.... South-of-the-Border-nose-candy....

A fantastic aged verte followed by a great and excessive meal of grilled everything and a Amaranth cocktail as a digestif expertly made by T73. The man knows his booze! Oh yah and a Bulleit Bourbon after I got home. A very nice night.

The Abyss