DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

I'm drinking a nice Burton Ale. I added a handful of toasted oak chips to the rest of the batch (5 gallons).

It should be ready in a year or two. Or maybe three or ten.

See 'Shut Up About Barton Perkins' and do some searching for the background.

"Saisons should be tart, not sour".

Agreed.

They sometimes remind me a bit of a whiskey sour, which I always found to be more tart than sour.

Crisp seems a bit closer description to what makes a saison for me. I've yet to have a beer of mine "sour", unless I invited the buggies. My biggest problem with most American Belgian beer is they end up a bit sweet because of improper pitching rate, not warm enough / too warm, poor recipie, not waiting out in a proper temp secondary, ect.

Le Gimp, we need to do some trades sometime.

Now drinking Lagunitas Lucky 13

How is it? I loved UT back when it was on the PS2 years ago. Was looking at getting the 360 version.

Awesome! I played all of them on the PC, but the 360 translation is really good.

Shabba and Tayker: Neither of you could outGEEK me. I'm spending hours on my PC playing World of Warcraft. Yeah, I know. Pathetic.

Don't you dare utter one word, Absomphe!

Heylissem Triple Brune Abbey Ale, an oddity I picked up today in a little European grocery aptly named Europa Foods.

I'd never heard of this stuff, but I was really impressed with the rather intense flavor profile, which included bitter chocolate, caramel, prune, cognac, and a touch of meatiness...definitely not your milder Affligem, or St Feuillien, here.

Started with a "Blue Moon" in the early evening. Special thanks to Shabba for turning me on to the Rothman & Winters Creme De Violette, lawdy is that good. I have a bottle of their Orchard Apricot that arrived today with my La Muse but haven't cracked it open yet.

Speaking of the La Muse Verte I'm pleasantly surprised and will write a review when I'm not seeing triple. :twitchsmile:

Let us know what you think of the Orchard Apricot. I'm curious.

A Dark and Stormy.

Amaranth. Amaranth.

:g: I seem to be repeating myself.

I seem to be repeating myself.

I didn't notice that, I didn't notice that, I didn't notice thaaa.........

T, I can tell you this much, it looks glorious in the bottle! :twitchsmile:

Alas, you've figured me out - my lips are sealed on the recipe (lest I face the consequences from my other half). One of the things we really enjoy about Sirène is exactly what you've mentioned, tasting a range of dimensions of its flavor with each sip. With all our products, but especially our gins & absinthe, we aim for a rich, nuanced and complex flavor. Some of that comes from the design of our still, which Derek (the chemical engineer of the two of us) worked on with the still manufacturer.

So glad you are enjoying it. :cheers:

I picked up a new brouilleur in New Orleans (my former favorite one (ahem) walked away at an event), but my liver has not yet allowed me to try it out.

I had a glass of Sirene this evening and of the three samples I've had, I rather enjoyed this one. I'm glad my co-worker brought me a bottle.

Different day, different climate, who knows. The stuff still has a little something that eludes me and a glimpse of the recipe would help. We know that ain't going to happen. :devil:

Anyway, a fine effort. Thank you!

:cheers:

This is the reason I struggle with reviews. *shrug*

Hi T, so glad to hear you liked the gin! We've gotten a lot of praise and good reviews for it, even though its really not like any other gin. We actually make two gins, you probably have the No. 6 (unless there was an accident, the other one is only in restaurants unless our distributor messes up). The other one (called No. 11) actually has more juniper and is a piney, dry, old-school gin - great for the old-school classic cocktails.

No. 6 has a lot of spice, so I wonder if that was more of what was coming out at you in disguise - its got juniper, fresh lemon peel, cardamom, cinnamon, anise seed, a few other herbs that I am happy to name but are fairly esoteric, and lavender.

At any rate, thanks for the kind words!

And on another note, I LOVE that Rothman & Winter Orchard Apricot Liqueur, it is fantastic. The pear one is quite nice too. :heart:

I have reviews I need to do but with a mouth and nose full of Wormwood, tonight is not the best night for reviewing absinthe (everything just tastes so bitter). So instead, Maggie, the Attack Accountant and I had a glass of North Shores Distillery Gin. Neat, I thought the juniper was over the top but after a healthy splash of tonic, it was really very, very nice.

Gotta try this in a Gin Fizz!

<edit: Why, yes! It's quite nice! :cheers: >

I'm headed to Kentucky in a couple weeks. It looks like I'll have to make a stop in Chicago along the way and grab some of that gin!

Hi LeRoy, in case you can't re-route to Chi-town, there is exactly *one* store in Kentucky where you might be able to find our gin, just FYI. It's at the Party Source in Bellevue, just across the river from Cincinnati. A great guy (named Jay) runs the spirits program there, and he has a tendency to hunt down the little tiny brands from all over and get them into his store. That would be worth a trip if you go that way, I'm sure there will be some other good finds there based on what Jay has told me.

I'm headed to Kentucky in a couple weeks. It looks like I'll have to make a stop in Chicago along the way and grab some of that gin!

I invited some friends for dinner and a tasting. We'll prob start out with Lasala, then Jade Verte Suisse, and finally Edouard Pernod Lunel. Then I'll find myself drinking the Miller High Life.

Had a few samples of Ballast Point's fine wares. Nice thick porter, nifty IPA...served two ways: Regular with CO2 and then served with nitrogen. I never thought I'd use "creamy" as a way to describe an IPA.

Then I toured their brewery and their newly established distillery. I'm having a fun birffday so far.

Trillium! It'll take more than one glass. Sugar may enhance it. It has a long lingering bitterness. Not unpleasant but I need to sip a couple more drinks.

Be back later.

:twitchsmile:

Black Butte XX Porter on tap at the Archer this evening.

Lot's of coffee, chocolate, roastiness, all supported by an incredibly creamy, rich body. The finish is really super intense, and endless (this one is bigger than The Abyss!), but there's too much heat at this point, and it could have benefitted from a much longer aging. I only found two bottles for sale at a local shop, and I plan to let those sit undisturbed until well into the winter, to see how they mature.

North Shore's Gin No. 6 in a martini or three. :pirate:

These are quite pleasant. Much better than the last time. Must be the love and care. :g:

:cheers:

Long day today. I drove 200 miles to visit my dad for 4 hours, then drove 200 miles home.

Beer me.

Nice dry pilz. I didn't mark the bottles so I don't know if it is the 833 yeast or the 2035, but i suspect 2035 from the over-carbonization and dry finish.

2035 is the energizer bunny of lager yeasts. It just keeps going and going.....