DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Black Butte XXVIII.

This year's version is brewed with peated malt, vanilla, cacao and sweet orange peel, and its aged in 50% bourbon and scotch barrels.

Definitely my favorite of the series, with a great balance of the above flavors.

Nope, I'm still waiting for it turn up here.

I'm optimistic, though.

Sooner or later, most of the better Northwest beers do.

Going to break into a bottle of the 2014 wheat whisky barrel aged old stock tonight.

Wonder if any of the pappy van winkle barrels were used for this.

As far as I know, the 2014 Cellar Reserve was aged in rye, not bourbon, barrels, so, my guess would be no.

Fremont Dark Star Coffee 2015 today.

No and yes. Both rye barrels AND wheat whisky barrels were used for 2014.

http://www.northcoastbrewing.com/beers/barrel-aged-beers/old-stock-ale-cellar-reserve/

So there is a chance they did use the van winkle barrels. It's probably a slim chance and I would wager that they would Bragg (no pun intended) about it on the label if they did.

Edited by greytail

Wow. It's exquisite. Lots of chocolate, nougat , milk dud flavor with raisins and some oak.

Very well done English style old ale. Easily as good as the 2011 Brandy barrel vintage.

Edited by greytail

Craft beer in a can is proliferating around here at a furious pace.

I have yet to taste any of those beers that's even slightly inferior to its bottled counterpart, and, in many cases, the canned examples are up to two thirds cheaper than the bottled versions. The most extreme cases of this savings is demonstrated by Evil Twin offerings like Imperial Biscotti Break, which sells from $20-$26 a 22 oz. bomber in the bottle, and is only $3.99-$4.99 in the 16 oz. can!

If the same savings can be passed on in the wine world (with no loss of flavor), I say it's not as strange as it sounds.

Yep canned craft beer is taking off down here too. (Ex:Tin Roof, Mudbug Brewery, NOLA Brewing, Great Raft Brewing.)

Parish Brewing's Canebrake and then Envie for tonight.

I use to collect beer cans as a tiny tot. From the old cone tops to the gallon cans out of Germany. Wicked stepmother through all of it away. Wicked woman.

It's not supposed to get hot up here, but we're spoiled, so the mid to upper seventies seems a tad unpleasant.

Still, it hasn't hit eighty since the end of May, so who's complaining?

2X4 onacuz that's my warm weather go-to DIPA.

One croissant and half of a large blueberry muffin with some Yorkshire Gold tea. :heart: Very nice tea. Thanks for the recommendation, greytail. We got a box of the original Yorkshire, too. We think we'll have a cup of that with our afternoon pipe.

A wee dram of an old bottle of Balvenie Portwood 21 onacuz the recent single malt talk has stirred a bit of that old craving. :thumbup:

And, speaking of scotch, I walked into our Bevmo the other day (just for shits and giggles), but I ended up laughing out loud.

There was this bottle of Macallan 25 year that was selling for just under 1300.00 a bottle...duh...WTF? :wacko:

The last time I purchased one of those was at the turn of the millennium, and it was priced just under $200..00.

So i glanced at a list of the world's fifty most expensive scotches, and there was Balvenie 50 year at the top of the list, selling at about $1000 per year of aging.

What a pretentious crock of crap.

This bottle of the 21 year old Portwood cost me $69 a decade and a half ago, and I'll bet it's almost as tasty. :rolleyes:

Edited by Absomphe