DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

The reviews I've read, (not to mention the name), tell me that's my kinda tipple. :thumbup:

Yes it is Abs, hope it reaches you soon! :cheers:

For tonight Brash Smoglifter Imperial Chocolate Milk Stout.

L'Entêté.

A fine drop, albeit a bit sweet. Great uplifting absinthe. Not dark and brooding like the Jades.

Afterwards a Blanchette and then an Edouard. The 2013 Edouard is the closest to a pre-ban absinthe I have ever tasted.

Must be something about those 150 yr old stills at Combier. It's hard to find anything that compares in a modern CO.

DFH Randal IPA brewed with Peruvian coffee.

That's some tasty coffee, but the ale would have been better if some ale flavor could have come through.

An interesting experiment, nonetheless.

Drops of water, one per breath, fall gently down and hit the surface, submerge and feather out, to fall and become one with the small cloud forming in the bottom of the glass.

Sorry to hear that, but at least you can say you come by your screen name honestly. :fork: :arrr:

It's too damned hot today, and I'm craving lotsa tropical fruity hops, so Sculpin it will be.

Drinking some red bull with my old crow after an obituary since I was up half of the night.

When you mix Mata Hari and red bull you can't even taste the Mata Hari, I guess it's red bull flavor absinthe.

Gutierrez Colosia Sangre y Trabajadero Oloroso sherry. Not the best sherry I've had, but it's quite nice. It shares many characteristics with fino, which is a bit surprising to me. Yeastiness is forward but more downplayed compared to a fino, enough to remind you it's there, but not enough to ruin the party. The base is dry with the base notes of the grape and yeast coming forward. Low sweetness with a bursts of fruit.

Honestly, I drank half the 375 ml bottle last night and the bottle has been in the fridge since because I found it disappointing. I'm drinking it now, and impressively, it does seem to have gotten better, a rare attribute in any wine.

I wouldn't recommend it to the new sherry drinker, but I like it.

Edited by autopsy

Bodegas Grant, Oloroso "La Garrocha" sherry.

Least yeasty Oloroso of this current batch, but it's definitely in the background. Dark brown color, slightly transparent. Tastes of toffee, light sweetness. Yeast comes out in the finish, for sure. Some tartness, lemony notes. This is definitely a sherry you can drink any day of the week. I'd say 3.5/5.

Gin and tonics. Simple. Sterile. Clinical.

Cardamaro. Straight up, room temperature.

A 6 month oak barrel aged amaro. A very unique flavor that's too complex to sum quickly, but I'll try. Both the smell and flavor have some commonalities with one of my favorite amaros, Amaro Montenegro. If you've ever had the really fancy colas (like Fentiman's or Virgil's), it's like one of those but with alcohol that adds to the profile. There's also many other flavors going on besides cola-esque. The oaky vanilla barrel was definitely lightly toasted and mellows out what might have been a harsher liqueur. The smokiness is very mild but definitely there if you pay attention. There's very, very little bitterness both up front and at the finish.

There is definitely some raisin, grapey flavors present. Lemon. Cinnamon. Honey. Small medicinal flavor. The nose has a smell that I can't name, but I've definitely had before. That will drive me nuts for some time.

Definitely a light amaro. Best as a digestif after a heavy dinner. Delicious.

4.25/5

Edited by autopsy

Vecchio Amaro del Capo. Neat at room temperature.

Claims 29 herbs and spices used. I believe it so much going on in this one too. It has the cola aroma as well with a lot of orange peel, vanilla, and a near-anise note. More syrupy than I was expecting for a 35% alcohol amaro (the strongest I've ever had).

The taste - oh that anise smell makes sense. I feel my tongue numbing a little. Menthol. Honey. Iodine. Refreshing yet sweet. Coriander. The finish is odd as the bitterness starts to kick in a bit, but at the same time, the anise/menthol leaves a cooling sensation. Quite nice to sip. I think it would open up more when chilled.

Lovely amaro. 4/5.

Edited by autopsy

Meletti. Another amaro. Neat at room temperature.

Slight metallic smell. Soapy-ish smell. Rubbing alcohol. Very gentle as unappetizing as those sound. Lemon is coming through too.

Taste is also on the syrupy side. Mildly bitter aftertaste. Honey, cinnamon. Safron is barely hanging in there. Bit of chocolate. Mild, mild anise.

Basically a worse version of Amaro Montenegro and Cardamaro. It's nice, but a noticeable step down. 3/5

If you've ever had the really fancy colas (like Fentiman's or Virgil's)

Had a Virgil's yesterday for the first time. Good stuff.

I wouldn't call it fancy, just natural. Definite flavors of real vanilla, cloves and other choice goodies. Like an artisanal cola.