DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

There are far worse beer stocking decisions I could think of than making Pumking available year round, that's for sure. :thumbup:

Edited by Absomphe

It's been many months since I've retasted the bottle of Lucid in the back of the cabinet. I pulled it out tonight and I was again reminded that this is actually pretty good stuff. It doesn't begin to rival the top 4 Jades, which are among my favorites of all, but it's tastier than I remembered/expected. It's the real deal, albeit a bit light, but on retasting after months of drinking top shelf absinthes I realize that it's one I can serve to first-time drinkers without apology. It's actually reassuring to know that there's at least one widely available brand that is worth it. Lately I've dumped some glasses of less-than-exciting absinthes under the philosophy that "life's too short.....". My cabinet grew far too full. It's time to start culling a bit.

My everyday choices will still remain on my top 10 or 12 but it is fun to re-try an 'introductory' absinthe that I could happily drink again for a change of pace.

And referring to JosephLabreque's comment on the Jade NO a few posts above, I totally agree. It's not my favorite Jade but I really enjoy it and am glad to have a couple of extra bottles aging in my cellar. Unusual in all the best ways. Like Butterfly; another favorite.

EDIT: just looked up the price of Lucid at my local BevMo. With tax, $78.48. Ouch. I'm glad it's widely available but that's right up there. I realize not everyone knows about absinthes.com, or is prepared to order 4 bottles at a time, but their 10% discount on a set of 4 Jades makes those actually cost only a few pennies more per bottle than the Lucid. Guess I won't be restocking after all. For the price, I'd much rather be drinking Edouard, 1901, VS, and NO.

Edited by Georges Meliès

Tonight, it'll be something green from Montana. ;^>

Speaking of the Abyss (haha), I'm moving to the PNW in 2016 so finally found where I want to live, until the end.

I'll be going back to PDX for the third time this year in November (incidentally, when this year's offering should be ready for consumption/stocking).

2013 Ivan the Terrible today.

I'm enjoying this considerably more than I did last winter.

It probably benefited from the extra resting time.

Edited by Absomphe

Reuben's Brews Crikey IPA.

Great tropical fruit esters from a judicious helping of (I'm guessing) Kiwi and Aussie hops.

Edited by Absomphe

Crescendo organic orange liqueur. Organic, gluten-free and made in the PNW.

If the flavor lives up to the aroma, I'm in for a very pleasant evening that will most likely start sooner than I thought. :dribble:

Different???

Nice, pithy euphemism for; "Pacifique is a wonderfully complex and faithful recreation of an 1855 Montpelier recipe, while Mata Hari is an abysmally crappy absinkth™."

Ivan the Terrible 2013 today.

Edited by Absomphe

Hey now, I try to be open minded, and I always euphemize. I've had it a few times in the past and figured I'd buy a bottle since the liquor store guys got it in as part of the last wave of absinthe they ordered. It's an interesting mix of flavors, there was a time that I enjoyed it more than I do now. I'll probably use it to make a chocolate "absinthe" cake.

Needless to say... We're drinking more of the Pacifique than the Mata Hari.

If anybody wants to try it let me know!