DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Not as bad as one would expect it to.

Honestly - I thought there would be a huge drop in quality of experience when having then in succession like this. Didn't happen. There is some quality stuff in the OR- despite other shortcomings.

Edited by JosephLabrecque

Sorry. I tasted this new OR by Pernod. If the taste I had is the same as what you will get in the final recipe, then save your money or give it to me if you really want to throw it away. So much better out there that this OR can't even hold a candle to.

My opinion anyway.

Oh for sure there is better. I suppose I just had my expectations set incredibly low.

Almost seems like there are two things going on with OR; 1) a set of good qualities, 2) this lurking "strangeness" that pulls it down a bit. The first glass or two I had from a fresh bottle were a big turn off- but as this has rested a bit... that "strangeness" mentioned (while still present) is not there to such a degree.

There are absolutely better absinthes out there. Absolutely. There is much, much worse as well... not talking fauxsinthe either.

First Sazerac of the year followed by some cherry bounce.

What I am I drinking tonight? I am not sure yet, it's still morning.

Honestly - I thought there would be a huge drop in quality of experience when having then in succession like this. Didn't happen. There is some quality stuff in the OR- despite other shortcomings.

Well... I must attribute this to Esprit Edouard interfering with the OR profile. The new Pernod is decent - but upon further "research" I've determined the ghost of Edouard must be responsible for my more positive evaluation of the OR. Absinthe is strange stuff.

Ha! Funny you should say that, (again).

Last night, while trying to decide what to have for the evening, I looked over at Mrs. Songcatcher and said "Honey, would you care for some Old Chub?". And with a sideways glance and a sly smile she says, "Maybe later."

Well... I must attribute this to Esprit Edouard interfering with the OR profile. The new Pernod is decent - but upon further "research" I've determined the ghost of Edouard must be responsible for my more positive evaluation of the OR. Absinthe is strange stuff.

This is going to get a bit... visceral?

If you swallow something the aromatics will still rise up from your throat and be perceived as flavors. This is (one reason) why it is important that when you review multiple brands in one setting you spit and don't swallow.

The ghost is real, it came from your throat.

So be mindful of what you previously shoved down your throat before analyzing what's next in your mouth.

Abs, Hendmonkey, you're welcome.

Neat, a barrel aged Baltic style porter brewed by two local brewers from two local breweries.

Bitter chocolate, coconut, Brazil nut, caramel, toffee, smoke, and a very lengthy, dry and roasty finish.

The best example of this style I've ever tasted ( much less sweet, and more complex than others).

Edited by Absomphe

Alfred Jarry, on 20 May 2014 - 10:36, said:

Good thing guys like us always follow the rules.

Indeed.

Edited by Absomphe

Blanche Traditionelle Brut d'alambic essai #5.

After a big plateful of fresh caught delicious bass with fried taters, a thick slab of vidalia onion, and a mess of black eyed peas.

What do you think of Toulouse Green? I'm a bit torn on it - wonderful louche and the basics are are all there... yet the base is so assertive...

I didn't hate it, mind you... it was just far off... over in a weird place...