Brooks

Jade Blanchette

I received a shipment of Blanchette and Montmartre today. I decided to open the Blanchette tonight and give it a spin.

The only other Absinthe I've tried is the Verte Suisse, so I don't have wide experience to draw on, but I must say I was disappointed. I can't talk about the discreet flavors and identify the culprit, but there is a taste about 3/4 of the way through the initial flavor cycle™ that makes me screw up my face. Compared to the VS which seems to smoothly transition through the complexity of flavors the Blanchette seems somewhat discordant

I think this bottle will sit on my shelf a long time!

It's not balanced - but then, I hardly doubt it's meant to be.

There's a candy/caramel like flavour, yes, but unlike others I don't think it's Burnt.

Why not?  The Blanchette is not based on any belle epoque recipe I’m aware of.  It’s not even part of the official Jade lineup.
From LdF:
"Blanchette", the original absinthe produced by Distillerie Combier (Saumur, France) circa 1900. Blanchette is a Swiss-style, clear absinthe that yields a distinct aroma and flavor of anise and grande wormwood, with a background of alpine herbs. Like our other Jade absinthes...

The flying monkeys arrived yesterday with some Blanchette (more like Jaunette) & a flask of what's supposed to be UE Sapin, although it isn't really labeled as such. The UE was only slightly darker in color than the Blanchette. But the Blanchette tastes good, despite its rather puzzling color.

Thanks to the generosity of Mr. Lanfray, I had my first taste of Blanchette hardy a week ago. I was quite smitten. Granted, I am an absinthe slut and enjoy almost everything but Maggie, my more discerning partner agreed with me. It is certainly on our next order list.

>Apparently Luc ( Heure Verte ) now has the litre bottles of the Blanchette.

Papa PeeVee?l

the liter bottle size was originally created for LDF exclusively, but the bottle that was chosen by combier was too tall for LDF's UK packaging choices (and even anything yet found in france) and suitable packaging is presently being sought. it is much more difficult than one might imagine and a poor reason to not be able to sell it, but them's the breaks...

the liter bottle size was originally created for LDF exclusively, but the bottle that was chosen by combier was too tall for LDF's UK packaging choices (and even anything yet found in france) and suitable packaging is presently being sought.  it is much more difficult than one might imagine and a poor reason to not be able to sell it, but them's the breaks...

Do you mean the liter bottle of Blanchette is even taller than the Montmartre or the Duplais half-liters? :blink:

>Apparently Luc ( Heure Verte ) now has the litre bottles of the Blanchette.

Papa PeeVee?l

the liter bottle size was originally created for LDF exclusively, but the bottle that was chosen by combier was too tall for LDF's UK packaging choices (and even anything yet found in france) and suitable packaging is presently being sought.  it is much more difficult than one might imagine and a poor reason to not be able to sell it, but them's the breaks...

The liter bottles are great : in Paris, Blanchette have already its fans (myself included) and they are happy to get the big one !

It's taller than the 1 l of François Guy, as taller as the Elixir du pays des fées 1l bottle.

Indeed. I will have to include a bottle of the Blanchette in my next order.

On that subject, I thought I was completely without a paddle for a while there now that nobody is shipping to Canada anymore. I wasn't sure what I was going to do. Fortunately, I've been saved by a kind soul who I've learned makes frequent trips to Cleveland to visit family there. Sweet relief!

The liter bottles are great : in Paris, Blanchette have already its fans (myself included) and they are happy to get the big one !

It's taller than the 1 l of François Guy, as taller as the Elixir du pays des fées 1l bottle.

So, I wonder if Markus will soon sell Blanchette litres if they're the same size as EdPdF litres? :)

Granted, I am an absinthe slut and enjoy almost everything but Maggie

Absinthe is nice, but you need to learn to enjoy spending time with your wife. She seems really great.

After toying with other's postings, I had that coming! ;)

"It's somewhat creamy, and most floral notes come overwhelmingly from wormwood flowers. A LOT of wormwood flowers"

Ah Gatsby, thank you I do believe I shall procure this little straw skinned faerie and explore her realms...

Great thread bv the way guys.

We enjoyed Blanchette, although I found it to be a much stronger anise flavor than NO. It didn't seem to have anywhere near the subtleties of NO, so I wasn't quite as keen on it. But it was our first blanche, so we'll need more practice on that side of the family.