Sign in to follow this  
Lily Bouquet

Hello

Hello Wormwood Society,

I'm so new to absinthe that I haven't even tried it yet. But I have a glass, a spoon,

(not true absinthe ones - I'm a rebel) and a couple absinthe brands picked out from

reviews (I'm not a stupid rebel ). I see that they are available in my area. (MI)

Jade Nouvelle-Orleans, Delaware Phoenix "Meadow Of Love" and maybe a local

MI one Nain Rouge Absinthe Verte. I try to spend money locally when I can.

My mother has two opened of absinthe bottles from her father.

They're probably post ban though. They should be around the 60-70 year mark.

I will eventually sample those but not until I can show them the respect they &

my grandfather are due.

(Meaning, once I have some idea of what I'm doing.)

So those bottles might get to age another year.

I'm still looking for an ice water decanter or carafe. Can't believe I don't have something

that'll work, with all the crap..er.. stuff I've collected through the years. I did have sugar

cubes. Yeah me. But no sugar cube container to put them in. I have a nice collection

of Chinese & Japanese soup and rice bowls that will work just fine ( there's that rebel

again).

Been doing a lot reading & researching.

I have a ton of questions but will try to find the answers through reading.

And

I have found some neat historical items for you guys I'm dying to contribute.

User name is a cocktail recipe using absinthe, found it in an 1890's newspaper.

Welcome! I'm just a noob myself, so probably won't be much help. I have had the MoL, though, and it's very good. I've not had Jade NO but the other Jades I've tried have been very good. I've not heard of the MI brand before - looks like they just started making it last fall, is that right?

Hello and welcome!

I have found some neat historical items for you guys I'm dying to contribute

Please do!

and your old bottles post a pic and I'm sure someone can tell you more about what you have. :euro: :cheerz:

one Nain Rouge Absinthe Verte

I had to look that one up.

http://twojames.com/our-spirits/

It is a verte even if has the word 'rouge'. I guess Nain Rouge comes from this Detroit legend:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nain_Rouge

Edited by TheLoucheyMonster!

Thanks for the welcomes. I'm in the Holland area - very Dutch & dry - (Western Michigan)

but was born & raised in Buffalo & Western NY - very wet with deep, wide cultural history.

I visited a local liquor store yesterday and got the skinny on how things work in MI - kind of

hit & miss with what becomes "allowable" here. Another reason I put that MI made absinthe

on my list ( can't find reviews for the brand but I think it's got the correct stuff.)

They had Lucid and a few others that weren't familiar and not on my list.

I've heard about absinthe off & on through my lifetime as it was a favorite drink of my grandfather,

the dinning room furniture he purchased is wormwood (not this wormwood) and the grandparents

trip to New Orleans...just a lot of things that brought the topic up.

About ten+ years ago my mother asked if I could find information about the absinthe bottles she

had in her liquor cabinet. Found some history & collector sites that were keeping the

memory of absinthe alive.

Some of you absinthe history researchers - examine this item on ebay - there's a fairy and what

looks like absinthe leaves & flowers. Is it a bit of forgotten, unidentified absinthe history? I haven't

looked at enough stuff to know.

Here's two links to one patent that is an absinthe item.

Absinthe strainer cup patent

Here are two sites I use often for research

University Of Michigan - MOA - Absinthe search results

Cornell - MOA -

One of my other favorite research tools is the fultonhistory newspaper site.

My absinthe vocab is limited so I'm not getting the most out of these sites.

I have found a ton of things but that means some of you guys could really

get more.

I have a photo of one bottle label but not sure what the secound bottle is -

I'll get it posted as soon as I figure out how.

Thanks songcatcher. Just read the reviews & flavor discriptions. Absinthe is a hard one. I want to hold out for a well reviewed absinthe with a flavor

discription that appeals but not everything is available everywhere.

The ebay item is not absinthe. All authentic absinthe fountains have multiple spigots (that's the advantage of a fountain, multiple glasses at once)

the hairstyle on the fairy or angel suggests 20-30's ish.

Thanks for those university links, I'll check those out.!

I love playing with fultonhistory, I've clipped a few articles from there :euro:

http://wormwoodsociety.org/forums/topic/8458-an-interesting-news-article/

Oh good songcatcher - I didn't want to insult you if you were being serious about that brand :)

There are a lot of witty members here and you are one of them but I didn't want to presume. ;)

Thanks for checking the stoneware item louchey - didn't want to risk a piece of history getting lost again.

That fulton site - one of the best web sites -I found detailed descriptions of that big bottle for the Bordeaux

Exposition on that site.

After it was in Bordeaux it went to South African Exposition. Johannesburg, South Africa.

(May and June of 1896)

I searched the site for that event but didn't find much. Maybe the Johannesburg Expo would net an

image of the bottle through some other resource.

Thanks for linking to your other thread - so it's safe to post clippings from there here?

I'll have to figure out how to do that.

Niagara St in Buffalo - one of my ancestors had a saloon on Niagara - late 1800's to just

after turn of century.

Seen this photo page at fulton?

Syracuse NY Herald 1905 a - 0649

Oh, nice. And the one you found was an absinthe. An eagle, green glass & an absinthe label. That would be nice to have.

You wonder if the stopper is from the seller or the original owner or maybe a bar that was serving that bottle. He looks

like Don Quixote. :)

The National Archives has many hits for absinthe but they are very time consuming to weed through the results to find

where absinthe is in each hit. I haven't figured out how to navigate the results - search within one set of papers.

I don't know distiller names or European brands to search them.

Here's another site worth digging in - again I just don't have the absinthe vocab & historical terms or brands to get the most

out of this site but many of you could.

This is just a "liqueur" search.

http://findingaids.hagley.org/xtf/search?keyword=Liqueur

I can't figure out if we can view these on line or if they're only accessable on site. Louchey, maybe you can figure it out.

I can't figure out if we can view these on line or if they're only accessable on site. Louchey, maybe you can figure it out

that link is only for things available in person. Another thing I've found is that many of the university sites you need credentials of some sort.

Very frustrating to not be able to access many librarys rescorces. I run accross that all the time.

Searched that seagrams collection and Pernod turned up a hit - really wish we could view holdings.

Still haven't tackled the photo business -I've been busy reading, a lot.

Our one bottle is an Edouard Pernod by Leroux :dry:

Have to dig up info on the 2nd bottle we have. It's probably similar.

Vilya is available here in MI -Joe- & thanks for the welcome. ;)

I'm waiting to hear from a local store on two bottles.

Thank you Cajun Magic.

Here's a bit of history

(Mohawk, Detroit) - cocktail book from company. Bottle images and cocktail recipes.

Very tempting to purchase - maybe one of you guys will save this bit of history.

They made an absinthe - there is a Mohawk Absinthe in the reviews & Louchey and I shared info earlier on this

company.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BP072-RARE-Vintage-Mohawk-Liqueurs-Recipe-Booklet-71-pages-/231035063662?hash=item35cac34d6e:g:Im8AAOSw3xJVefxM

Hey Ab ;)

That Mohawk book is sold. Hope it's enjoyed by the new owner. Lucky duck.

I still haven't purchased any absinthe as there's nothing too great in the liquor stores here.

Absente
Absinthe Ordinaire
Corsair Red
Grande Absente
La Fee
Lucid
Mata Hari
Pernod
Sirene Absinthe Verte
St George
Two James Nain Rouge
Vieux Carre
Vilya

I'm holding out for Vilya - both the Verte & Blanche.

Sigh.

Prohibition Sucks!

Here's a bit of history

(Mohawk, Detroit) - cocktail book from company. Bottle images and cocktail recipes.

Very tempting to purchase - maybe one of you guys will save this bit of history.

They made an absinthe - there is a Mohawk Absinthe in the reviews & Louchey and I shared info earlier on this

company.

I know a guy that has a Mohawk Absinthe bottle and perhaps 300-400ml of that absinthe.

I do have an order in a local store for the two Vilya bottles.

Just waiting on the call.
Might try the VC as I do love anise - reviews have it as heavy on the anise flavor.
Joe, I would say that's a lucky guy. The Mohawk is probably better than my EP.
Since it could take a while for the Vilya, I caved yesterday & bought a Lucid.
Just uncorked it. Smooth anise with a hint of sweetness. Going to try a glass

tonight.