Sign in to follow this  
Evan Camomile

Standard Spirit

The worst thing is not even that. There are always gonna be people who try to make a quick buck. What boils my blood is that there will be absinthe drinkers, maybe even members of this forum, who will buy that crap because "I know it's not a properly made absinthe but I'm curious/the distillery is next door/whatever pathetic excuse" and then post that it's "not traditional absinthe but it's good in its own way" and they are "curious to see the next batches". Which means even if they wasted their money on falsely labeled garbage they might buy it again, especially if the distiller "told me the next batch is gonna be improved".

I've read this thing so many times now I lost count.

The real problem with the absinthe world is not the scum distillers (even though we got plenty of those too and that doesn't help), it's the customers. People are ok with getting ripped off. They are ok with poorly made or flawed absinthes. With unaged absinthes. They are ok with non-absinthes. With very few exceptions a lot of people are just ok with whatever they are sold as long as they can always try the new fucking thing.

It might not be pleasant to hear but it's the truth. The consumers (and lack thereof) drive this (and many others) market, not the producers.

I was noticing that the other day. Also, their Old Fashioned is a shit-ton of booze, seriously straining the work of .25 oz of simple and two dashes of bitters. They're all obviously ways for the consumer to chew through as much of their product as fast as possible. And what's with all the grapefruit juice?

Stefano has some good points.

I'm not against experimentation but customers have to understand what something is before you go crazy with it. People know what a whiskey is so if some distiller wants to do a smoked quinoa whiskey they can, because whiskey is very well understood.

Absinthe is still very misunderstood. I've been participating in the reddit absinthe forum a bit more and while people who come to the WS forum might know a little about absinthe from at least our front page, the average Joe out there still believes tons of bullshit. Absinthe is not at a point where experimentation is noticed for what it is. Instead most people think the first thing they drink labeled "absinthe" is absinthe. Ask people from the Bay Area, they think the weird oddball brand St. George is the regular flavor profile of absinthe.

It's like making a gin that barely tastes of juniper and overpowers people with lavender. At that point it's not a gin and astute bartenders will be able to say so and educate the public. We don't have enough bartenders in the know to help educate the "unwashed unlouched masses" for us. So it's important to be critical of the distillers themselves as no one else will.

No anise flavor? Meant to be drunk straight? Why even pretend that youre drinking absinthe at that point...

People are ok with getting ripped off. They are ok with poorly made or flawed absinthes. With unaged absinthes. They are ok with non-absinthes. With very few exceptions a lot of people are just ok with whatever they are sold as long as they can always try the new fucking thing.

I asked some people recently why they keep buying Absente when better absinthe is available. They told the reason is: because they can't taste any difference between different absinthes, and the fact that I prefer some absinthes over others just means im a stuck-up snob.

Why even pretend that youre drinking absinthe at that point...

I hate to say it, but in most cases probably because they don't know any better. That's what makes these misleading products so frustrating.

I asked some people recently why they keep buying Absente when better absinthe is available. They told the reason is: because they can't taste any difference between different absinthes, and the fact that I prefer some absinthes over others just means im a stuck-up snob.

Makes me wonder how they're drinking it, or what other absinthes they've tasted. I suppose if they are comparing to other inferior absinthes this could be possible.

Absinthe is not at a point where experimentation is noticed for what it is. Instead most people think the first thing they drink labeled "absinthe" is absinthe.

Prezactly. And furthermore, this is just another example of just because you call something by an unjustifiable name, it doesn't make it that thing. For Christ's sake, if you read carefully their own text on their web site, they're essentially telling you that what they are selling is a wormwood flavored whiskey. The use of the monikers "Absinthe" and "Moonshine" is obviously just a cheap attempt to cash in on whatever commercial capital they think those terms have. I really hate to state the painfully obvious when the merely obvious will do, but I think they're seriously late to the party with that strategy.

Makes me wonder how they're drinking it, or what other absinthes they've tasted. I suppose if they are comparing to other inferior absinthes this could be possible.

Likely whatever is accessible in the liquor stores around here (so a comparison of cheap absinthes is probably the case).

They used to carry Leopold as well but switched it out for St. George. I told the store manager a few months ago Leo was much better, but I'm doubting i'll see it restocked.

They used to carry Leopold as well but switched it out for St. George. I told the store manager a few months ago Leo was much better, but I'm doubting i'll see it restocked.

Don't give up.

Many factors go into deciding what a particular store may stock, but customer demand is very important.

another unfortunate factor is each market is a little different, Ive had several store owners or spirit buyers tell me " I would love to carry 'Absinthe Brand X' BUT......."

Currently at school down in South IL, but I was just thinking about ordering something from Binny's over winter break when I'm back home. I've considered getting PD's Meadow of Love instead though, I never got around to trying it. Maybe I'll just buy a few different ones since the Leo is sold in the small bottles.

Edited by AbsintheWolf