sahiri

L'Ancienne available for pre order

Well, if you are going swimming, might as well just jump in right?

I bet there will be more available. Hope so cause this stuff is so good it needs to be spread around for all to enjoy.

Sahiri, I don't know for sure, but I can make some guesses. Zufanek makes a batch of less than 100 liters(roughly 143 bottles). I believe on the last batch he originally shipped about 60, then released a bit more for sale that he had originally reserved. So my guess is between 60-80. Some of the more informed forum users may be able to give a better answer!

I can shine some light on the issue 😉

First of all, let me please clarify that I make L'Ancienne, at the Zufanek distillery, even though because of some issue with labeling in the last batch my name was not on the back label, which cause some people who've not followed the whole development of L'Ancienne to think that Zufanek makes it.

Second, I'm not sure where the notion that we sold 60 plus then another 20 comes from, but I don't know anything about it. Zufanek takes care of the sales, but as far as I know, every time we ship the whole batch to a distributor and only keep a couple of bottles each for our personal archive. The only time we shipped some of the bottles first and then shipped the rest was the first time we sold through absinthes.com. Being a relatively new product they didn't buy the whole batch at once and wanted to see how quickly it would sell first. This is obviously no longer an issue since the bottles fly off the shelves.

The total number of bottles produced varies every time. With such a small scale production, even using the same amounts of herbs and base alcohol, every distillation is different. Sometimes the tails show up with their ugly face sooner, other times later. Because of that, and because I'm not ok with selling a batch that has even the slightest tails contamination, every time the final amount of absinthe distilled is slightly different. However, the number of bottles is always around 80 per batch, with a +/- variation of 5-6 bottles. I could tell you the exact numbers of liters distilled, but there is a loss with the coloration, filtration, contractions when diluting to the bottle strength, etc, so the exact number of bottles is not easily obtained from the liters distilled.

I hope this answers your question. If not please let me know!

Sorry for mixing you two up on that last post! I apologize.

The instance with the 20 additional bottles was in 2012, here's the relevant post:

http://wormwoodsociety.org/forums/topic/6705-lancienne/?p=274259

Looks like Greytail and I were on the money with it being ~80 bottles! Man, that really is a limited run, I feel lucky to have a couple on the way to me. Thank you for replying Stefano- it really says a lot that you post here.

Edited by DanPatrick

For the record, I cheated a bit with my guess which was not really I guess I guess.

I second that on Stefano posting. Anything he has to add here can only make things better.

Sorry for mixing you two up on that last post! I apologize.

The instance with the 20 additional bottles was in 2012, here's the relevant post:

http://wormwoodsociety.org/forums/topic/6705-lancienne/?p=274259

Looks like Greytail and I were on the money with it being ~80 bottles! Man, that really is a limited run, I feel lucky to have a couple on the way to me. Thank you for replying Stefano- it really says a lot that you post here.

No worries. The post you linked is about the 2011 batch, which is the first one we sold through absinthes.com and, as I mentioned, they didn't buy the whole batch at once.

This year, however, the bottles have been split between absinthes.com and Alandia/Markus Lion, so the bottles sold at absinthes.com were not the whole batch. I just noticed today that Alandia started selling their bottles of L'Ancienne.

No shipping notice here yet, but when I last spoke to Stefanie at Absinthes.com on the 23rd of Feb she said the shipment would be sent in about 2 weeks, so expecting notification anywhere around March 10th-12th (give or take). I've got other orders in the same shipment as well, so I imagine that will add a few extra days in sorting and packaging time. I've already waited however many years to try this Absinthe, I'm sure I can manage to wait another few days. :cheers:

Absolutely seconded. Stephanie kicks ass!! And the whole damn crew for that matter. Still don't see why they're not on the recommended vendors list.. Just seems quite asinine for them not to be, considering they're one of, if not the, biggest most well known vendor out there.

Yeah she is great. She has given me the most prompt and courteous service and kept me informed. They are waiting to recieve one item in the parcel. No complaints from me, my order will arrive closer to my birthday!

The content team discussed adding them to the vendor list about 6 months back. The consensus was that they still carry too much fauxsinthe to meet our stated policy.

Which is unfortunate because personally they are my preferred international vendor. I agree with you guys, their service rocks.

I took a quick look at their online inventory and right now they have 60 fauxsinthe to a total of 263 absinthes they offer. That's 22.81% of their product line. Still too high.

There is no percentage we shoot for but I give those numbers so you can see what we are looking at. It would be hard to list a vendor but have to give a warning blurb about 1/5th of the products they offer. It defeats the entire point of having the list.

They've minimized the presence of these fauxsinthes and do a good job of promoting quality absinthe. I hear they are thinking of cleaning these fauxsinthe out of house so I wish them luck with that. I would love to advocate for their inclusion on the vendor list but it's hard to go to bat for them when the numbers are the way they are.

I just took a look at the preferred vendors list. Without naming names, there is a vendor on there I had quite an ordeal with. My money was refunded but not without some calls to and from Europe.

Are absinthes.com and absintheclassics.com the same company? I've had great experiences with both. They seem to get stock at the same time, have near identical prices, and both appear as RueVerte through PayPal.