Sign in to follow this  
Guest MDQBOX

Want to try absinthe, but . . .

Guest MDQBOX

Hi, I have never had absinthe, but I am very interested in trying it for the first time. My question is which brand should I try first? Through online research, I've narrowed my choices down to two brands: Grun Fee and Perdon.

As far as I can tell from my research these two are "real" absinthe in that they do contain thujone. My main concern is that I want to try "authentic" absinthe not solely for the perceived effects of thujone, but I read somewhere that drinking absinthe without thujone is like drinking coffee without caffeine.

So I guess my two part question is are Perdon and Grune Fee authentic absinthe and which one I should go with as an introduction?

Thank you and pardon my ignorance.

pernod_ricard_absinthe_2_copy.pngAbsinthe_AWSM_Gruene_Fee_70cl_big.jpg

Good morning. I recommend you read through a few of the main posts on the main page before making a purchase. Thujone has never played a part in deciding whether a brand is 'real' or not, since both the EU and US definitions of thujone limits are both considered thujone free. Further, historic brands during the Belle Epoque did not contain high levels of it either.

First of all, welcome. :cheers:

MDQBOX, on 05 Feb 2015 - 08:48 AM, said:

Through online research, I've narrowed my choices down to two brands: Grun Fee and Perdon.

I find it interesting that you come here with this question, however these choices indicate that little or none of this "research" was done here.

Welcome and cheers! :cheers: I wouldn't recommend either of those as a first absinthe. You can do better there slick. :mellow: Check out our reviews section, brand discussions, and keep in mind America has some great absinthe too.

Edited by Cajun Magic

Guest MDQBOX

First of all, welcome. :cheers:

I find it interesting that you come here with this question, however these choices indicate that little or none of this "research" was done here.

I am not sure what your point is, if any, fingerpinkinblue. You basically contributed nothing to this discussion. I guess I will look elsewhere for some guidance.

Thank you to everyone else who provided me with some useful information and guidance. I'll leave it at that and move on. . .

Guest MDQBOX

I should mention that my choices were mostly in part due to what is currently available at my specialty liquor store.

Neither. Thujone is a very weak chemical and you would have to drink so much absinthe that you would die from alcohol poisoning before you hit the lowest discernible effect level. Even with a brand that supposedly contains high amounts of the chemical (testing these brands usually proves their statement false anyways).

Grune Fee is vodka with green coloring sold as absinthe for those who don't know any better. Stuff like this is common at European tourist traps, where they will spin yarns of BS about thujone and other things just to get people to buy it and believe it is real.

Pernod is mass market product, while actually absinthe it is generally not considered a good absinthe.

The thujone content in both is negligible as it will be in all absinthe.

Unfortunately as with many things on the internet, misinformation abounds about absinthe. Usually as a way to sucker people into buying one product over another. Please give this page a read as well as the listed bibliography if you want actual historical and scientific research to inform your decisions.

"So I guess my two part question is are Perdon and Grune Fee authentic absinthe and which one I should go with as an introduction?"

Personally, I'd go with King of Sprits and King of Spirits Gold.

Those two'll get you really fucked up. :puke: :harhar:

Hi and welcome!

Grune Fee is not absinthe.

and the Pernod label you posted is not from Pernod's absinthe.

What other choices do you have available?

Your best choices are going to be online.

You have come to the right place for information :euro:

DO read around the main website and the forum for awhile. :cheers:

Guest MDQBOX

Have you actually read anything here at all? Or are you just hoping a particular absinthe will get you more fucked up than the others?

Songcather, if you read my OP I never mentioned anything about which or what would get me "fucked up than the others." I simply asked which of the two that are available to me are good to try as an introduction to absinthe. Why do you even bother replying to my post if you have nothing that would help educate me, only a snyde a__hole of a remark?

Neither. Thujone is a very weak chemical and you would have to drink so much absinthe that you would die from alcohol poisoning before you hit the lowest discernible effect level. Even with a brand that supposedly contains high amounts of the chemical (testing these brands usually proves their statement false anyways).

Grune Fee is vodka with green coloring sold as absinthe for those who don't know any better. Stuff like this is common at European tourist traps, where they will spin yarns of BS about thujone and other things just to get people to buy it and believe it is real.

Pernod is mass market product, while actually absinthe it is generally not considered a good absinthe.

The thujone content in both is negligible as it will be in all absinthe.

Unfortunately as with many things on the internet, misinformation abounds about absinthe. Usually as a way to sucker people into buying one product over another. Please give this page a read as well as the listed bibliography if you want actual historical and scientific research to inform your decisions.

Thank you, Evan. I'm still trying to learn more about absinthe and your input has helped me a lot.

"So I guess my two part question is are Perdon and Grune Fee authentic absinthe and which one I should go with as an introduction?"

Personally, I'd go with King of Sprits and King of Spirits Gold.

Those two'll get you really fucked up. :puke: :harhar:

Thank you. Really not looking to get "fucked up" just looking for some recommendation on some quality absinthe. I will keep your recommendation in mind.

Hi and welcome!

Grune Fee is not absinthe.

and the Pernod label you posted is not from Pernod's absinthe.

What other choices do you have available?

Your best choices are going to be online.

You have come to the right place for information :euro:

DO read around the main website and the forum for awhile. :cheers:

Thank you, TheLoucheyMonster!. The main reason I listed those two was basically because those are the most readily available to me locally. I will take your's and previous posters advice and research the site more. Thank you.

Hi and welcome. Do you have an "Absinthe bar" within an hour driving radius of where you reside? It might give you an opportunity to try some different absinthes, learn more about them as well as hopefully proper preparation of them. While they are more expensive in the short run it would be better than buying a bottle just to find out it's not for you.

Guest MDQBOX

"I will keep your recommendation in mind."

Seriously? :blink:

Well,then... please keep this little guy in mind,

No not seriuosly You respond with sarcasm then wonder if my response is serious.- Haha - I guess you didn't pick up on my sarcasm. Not such a witty boy after all.

This avatar probably suits you better:

nb4u2r.jpg

Edited by MDQBOX

Guest MDQBOX

THANKS FOR ALL THE USEFUL INFORMATION - UNFORTUNATELY, THERE ARE TOO MANY ARROGANT SNARKS ON THIS FORUM FOR ME.

MOST OF YOU HAVE BEEN VERY KIND AND OFFERED ME SOME INSIGHT AND RECOMMENDATIONS, WHILE OTHERS ARE. . . .WELL ASSHOLES.

I WILL NOT BE BACK.

Nice!

There are all sorts of FAQ's on the main page. Very helpful.

The review section is amazingly helpful.

Other than that, we welcome you to a very tasty but wallet thinning journey. Cheers!

Oooops, I guess I was to late to put a Band-Aid on it.

I tried.

As always, the consummate diplomat, Bill.

"Not such a witty boy, after all."

Perhaps, but anyone who claimed to have done "research" on the topic of absinthe, and came up with those two choices, sure as hell doesn't deserve Oscar Wilde.

I kinda dig your avatar present to me, though. B)

Edited by Absomphe

They appeared to harbor a chip on their shoulder.

Could be sticker shock.

I try tenderness first.

Then we'll let that simmer a bit and see what the next course shall be. :)

I WILL NOT BE BACK.

I'm already trying to deal with my profound grief, and Elizabeth Kübler Ross is channeling me... :3869-sadbanana:

Edited by Absomphe

Go with Absinth Strong 68. It will go well with where you're going.

Bye-bye. :wave2:

MDQBOX has been banned from posting. We'll see if an appropriate apology is sent to the admins. I'm thinking we will hear the sound of flushing soon.

Anyone who couldn't read the OP as passive aggressive baiting needs to up their perception game. Anyone who says they couldn't understand the point of my response is too dishonest, inept, or too unintelligent to be here. And in my six plus years here, I've seen some serious deference given to the IQ challenged.