Sign in to follow this  
AbsintheWolf

I bought a bottle of Kübler Absinthe...Thinking I should get Leopold bros instead

I finished the Kübler a week ago and can honestly say I'm not going to buy it again. St. george doesn't really do it for me either. I think VP & Leopold have become my readily-available "staples" and I'll be ordering the top rating brands online once in a while.

I know people love Leopold on here, but I prefer Vieux Pontarlier to Leo, and I prefer St. George to VP. Perhaps that's because my palate is simply so refined. That's nobody's fault.

But listen, those top rated brands (Jade) can be had for a reasonable price from Germany if you can manage the $250 minimum. When you consider the price includes taxes and shipping, it should be very competitive, depending on what your local options are. Frankly, even if it's 10% more, it's going to be more than 100% better. That's a fair rate of return. But I caution you, this is coming from somebody with an extremely sophisticated palate.

"... I prefer St. George to VP. Perhaps that's because my palate is simply so refined."

:hysterical2:

Not that VP is all that and a bag of chips, mind you, but still, picking an eccentric absinthe like St. George (which is reminiscent of salad dressing) over VP (which falls much more readily within the parameters of a traditional absinthe), is hardly indicative of a palate that is worthy of self-aggrandizement.... unless, of course, I missed your use of the invisible :sarc: emoticon. ;)

Edited by Absomphe

"... I prefer St. George to VP. Perhaps that's because my palate is simply so refined."

:hysterical2:

Not that VP is all that and a bag of chips, mind you, but still, picking an eccentric absinthe like St. George (which is reminiscent of salad dressing) over VP (which falls much more readily within the parameters of a traditional absinthe), is hardly indicative of a palate that is worthy of self-aggrandizement.... unless, of course, I missed your use of the invisible :sarc: emoticon. ;)

If a forum post is properly written, emoticons will be unnecessary. But, mind you, I'm a scholar. It's not something everybody should try, and that's nobody's fault.

We agree that VP is more traditional than St. George. But the race towards tradition is a great way to get lost in the mix for all but the truly great, which we agree VP is not. George has a robustness of flavor and uniqueness of character VP lacks.

Before I became Jaded, St. George was a shining star of my absinthe bar. VP was a favorite too. Now, neither is particularly important to me.

What's wrong with salad dressing?

Not a thing, although, as an alcoholic beverage, it's more than a bit of an awkward anomaly.

And, as to becoming Jaded, that's more than a bit of an eye opener, until one experiences even higher flights of absinthe fancy.

I might suggest such toppers as Meadow of Love, Pacifique and Vilya Verte and Blanche, those being absinthes of an even higher level of complexity, and sold at a more satisfying price point.

Edited by Absomphe

Thanks for the tips. Let's go through them.

Meadow of Love: I don't think I can get this where I live. I've tried. Seems it's mainly stocked on the east coast.

Pacifique: I've tried it, a whole bottle of it, dancing specks and all, but with only partial success.

Vilya Verte: I see my preferred American vendor has this in stock. I'd been looking for Ridge, not realizing it had changed names. (I'm still new to this. The earlier comments about my palate were intended as absurdist theatre.) I'm inclined to buy a bottle right now.

Blanche: Can you imagine what happens when I Google "Blanche absinthe?" Can you give me more details?

Pacifique: I've tried it, a whole bottle of it, dancing specks and all, but with only partial success.

Those dancing specks may look ominous, but they're actually just excess, unfiltered herbal goodness.

Love it, or not, the delicate complexities of Pacifique are undeniable.

Vilya Verte and Blanche,

" Can you give me more details?

Vilya has both a Verte and a Blanche.

For the Meadow of Love, as well as the Vilyas go to

https://catskillcellars.com/products/united-states-absinthes/

They have some good combination deals

Awesome! I just ordered Vilya verte, Meadow of Love, Walton Waters, and Blues Cat. I've been wanting to try these for months!

Thanks!

Seriously? ;)

I can remember when our Swedish friend Mindshifter purchased four bottles of Pernod Fils 1914.

Now there was a lottery win! :worshippy:

Four absinthes at once?? Have you won the lottery?

No. I'm too educated to play the lottery.

Buying in bulk tends to significantly reduce the price per bottle. Short term sacrifice. Long term gain.

No. I'm too educated to play the lottery.

Doubtless, what a lot of of those perspicacious investors said when they choose Enron. :fork:

Edited by Absomphe

The difference between you and CM is that you recognized the sarcasm even without the emoticons. I have to believe the sarcasm was lost on CM, judging from the content of his post. (Does the forum permit insults in French?)

Anyway, I still don't like emoticons, and I post from my phone where I don't think they are even available.

I guess I could relieve my future posts of sarcasm and humor, but isn't the world boring enough?

Oh believe me, the sarcasm was not lost on me. I actually like sarcasm....when it is tasteful and humorous. Anyways lets put all this behind us like fine gents. You might grow on me. :cheers:

From out of the increasingly distant past, the distinctive aroma of a certain prodigiously pungent Limburger rind has suddenly assaulted my senses. :dev-cheers: