Sign in to follow this  
AbsintheWolf

I bought a bottle of Kübler Absinthe...Thinking I should get Leopold bros instead

So I bought a bottle of Kübler absinthe today figuring it was one of the better ones I can find.

The absinthes I have available here Absente, Lucid, St. george, Vieux Pontarlier, Mansinthe, North shore sirene, La muse verte, Leopold bros, "mata hari" and a few mouthwash colored absinthes + "anise liquors". Green text ones are the ones I've tasted. They are also in order of first to most recent.

I read a thread on here a few minutes ago and I guess the opinions are kind of split. I was a bit surprised that it was white, not because I think "if it aint green it aint real" just that I didnt see "blanche" on the bottle anywhere...

I don't think I have enough experience to write a good review, but i did want to mention this- Overall I like it. It has a crisp & fresh taste to it. As with every absinthe I've had I dilute it 1:1 with cold water and I don't ever use sugar.

There was leopold bros absinthe at another store here, and I want to get at least one bottle of it. It not sure how many mL it is but it's about halt the size of a wine bottle for $40, so I wanted to get a bigger quantity of absinthe this time. Maybe not the best deciding factor...

Vieux Pontarlier has been my favorite so far, but I wanted some imput on what I should get next... Leopold bros, or order Pacifique or Deleware Phoenix "medow of love" which I read about a while ago. Is there anything else good around the $80 price range?

Edited by AbsintheWolf

So I bought a bottle of Kübler absinthe today figuring it was one of the better ones I can find...

...so I obviously didn"t take anywhere near full advantage of the generously reviewed Buyer's Guide that is fortuitously included in free my membership subscription.

Well, who's fault is that, dumass, mine?

:fork: Just kidding, dude...in case you're all pissed off, and have no sense of humor. :biggrin:

So I bought a bottle of Kübler absinthe today figuring it was one of the better ones I can find...

...so I obviously didn"t take anywhere near full advantage of the generously reviewed Buyer's Guide that is fortuitously included in free my membership subscription.

Well, who's fault is that, dumass, mine?

:fork: Just kidding, dude...in case you're all pissed off, and have no sense of humor. :biggrin:

I could have. But I'm not mad at the purchase. It tastes alright to me. I guess the company may not be the best, but the absinthe is alright.

I'm still going to buy Leo bros. By the way things are looking I'll probably stock up on the Leo before heading back to school.

Edited by AbsintheWolf

I like the smaller 375 bottles of Leopold Bros. as they make great gifts. Definitely throwing my vote that way for your next absinthe, it's got some unique character to it but retains a classic absinthe flavoring. I'm especially fond of it in the warmer months for some reason. Your other choices are pretty good too so there's really no wrong answer on this.

As with every absinthe I've had I dilute it 1:1 with cold water and I don't ever use sugar.

You're doing it wrong.

I mean, hey, do whatever you want with your own drink, but you can't expect to effectively evaluate any absinthe that isn't prepared properly. Absinthe is intended to be served as a mild aperitif, at about the same range of strengths as wine.

As with every absinthe I've had I dilute it 1:1 with cold water and I don't ever use sugar.

You're doing it wrong.

I mean, hey, do whatever you want with your own drink, but you can't expect to effectively evaluate any absinthe that isn't prepared properly. Absinthe is intended to be served as a mild aperitif, at about the same range of strengths as wine.

I do realize its not the recommended dilution. I have had 2:1 and 3:1 with the other brands, but I think it becomes to watery. I just like the taste and alcohol a bit more concentrated.

I have told many people, new to this, that the #1 rookie mistake is to underwater their absinthe. The sugar thing is one of personal preference, and I would encourage various trials there. Where dilution is concerned, see this article. Mostly, enjoy your absinthe.

I have told many people, new to this, that the #1 rookie mistake is to underwater their absinthe. The sugar thing is one of personal preference, and I would encourage various trials there. Where dilution is concerned, see this article. Mostly, enjoy your absinthe.

I haven't ever noticed a bitter taste, so I never saw a need to add sugar. I did the whole slow drip over sugar with my first ever absinthe drink, and it was probably 4:1. I can do proper dilutions again and see if I can pick up different flavors, but I'm pretty sure I'll still prefer it 1:1 or 1:2

If you're going to try higher dilutions, I'd suggest this practice.

Another very interesting and informative practice for anyone new to absinthe, or for that matter when a particular absinthe is new to an experienced drinker, is to start the dilution at a ratio resulting in a stronger final abv (such as around 18% to 20%), and during tasting add a little more water maybe every couple of sips to see how the profile changes. In general, as dilution increases from this level, the impression of heat from alcohol, and numbing, primarily from anise, and a sense of “spiciness”, will gradually subside, just as the more delicate herbs and flowers will gradually come forward. The quest of most absinthe drinkers is to find the “just right” point of balance on that continuum, for them. Remember, you can't really ruin the glass as long as you have more absinthe to add back in, if you feel you have over-diluted the drink. You will want to be careful, however, with this practice when preparing anything irreplaceable, rare and expensive.

That way you can see the progression of changes with increasing dilution.

I think I'll start to do higher dilutions, about 4:1, at least for the sake of conserving my absinthe! I didn't notice that big of a difference, except for the ability to "pick out" the taste of the herbs better. I should have been doing this from the start!

Also, I went and bought the Leopold bros. today, and yes, I do like it better. (I did about 4:1). I should have bought it first! It reminds me of VP but has a nice unique flavor to it. I don't know if its the taste of the artemisia, anise, fennel, or something from the other herbs that may have added. I also really like the grape spirit base of Leo and VP.

Kübler does not seem to support higher dilutions very well. I drink it at 1.5 to 1. Sugar actually creates some contrast that helps me also distinguish some bitterness. Other absinthe - and I just opened a bottle of Meadow of Love, seem to benefit from higher dilutions. The Meadow of love really was good at 2 to 1 and I think it will open up even more at 3 or 4 to 1.

Yeah, the Kübler seemed a bit "washed out" at the higher dilution, but the Leo was fine.

I might louche with some sugar to see If I can get contrast like you said, although I've always been hesitant because I don't like the idea of sweet absinthe. I'm also a bit traumatized after seeing someone prepare their absinthe with raspberry syrup as a substitute for water.

I tried the sugar again (One sugar cube) but I still didn't like the taste. It's almost like the herbal flavors were downplayed by it, and it left a weird aftertaste. I'll be sticking to plain cold water.

Edited by AbsintheWolf

I enjoy Kübler. It was my first absinthe. Next followed St George. Good. A superior absinthe, I think. Then Vieux Pontarlier. Really fine. My local store here in Missouri is trying to get it. I admit that I prefer the Pernod. It is my first choice, but I also have a Vieuc Carré which is fine. In short, there are a number of good absinthes for a variety of tastes. Pick one. Enjoy. Avoid the cheap. Pretend stuff. On the Wormwood website you can obtain good advice. I say: enjoy the good quality absinthe of your choice and God that we have such a thing to make a bit more pleasant. Good luck to you. You cannot wrong with a good absinthe.

I finished the Kübler a week ago and can honestly say I'm not going to buy it again. St. george doesn't really do it for me either. I think VP & Leopold have become my readily-available "staples" and I'll be ordering the top rating brands online once in a while.

The dilution and the temperature will make a different drink.

Mine go from cool to room temp and I get to play " guess the botanical" game.

It's like adding water to Scotch......each bit added will unleash a different aroma.

Just remember, I'm new at this and have loads to learn yet. Cheers!