Sign in to follow this  
JosephLabrecque

Lucid has a new bottle

I was buying some wine today (and always check the absinthes) and noticed the Lucid bottles they had in stock looked odd. It was selling for a fairly cheap price so grabbed a bottle. It is indeed a new bottle design!

How can you tell?

• Much taller - Lucid is now the one absinthe that does not fit in my cabinet (it used to).
  • Squarer shoulders - no longer as rounded at the top... had a sharper, squarer edge.
  • No more "dimple" at the bottom of the bottle.
  • Labeling seems the same otherwise.

I had to sample it as well. It is nearly the same as I remember BUT doesn't have that "funk" taste which in the past turned me off so much. I am very pleased with that! [probably has nothing whatsoever to do with the bottle shape, of course]

Here is a photo:

post-4062-0-59997200-1403640619_thumb.jpg

This was acquired in Colorado, USA.

I think the stuff inside the bottle is a bit pale compared to lucid I have had from previous bottles if memory serves me right?. My guess this has something to do with less "vegetal" flavor being present?

It was always more of a smell than a taste for me when I experienced it in the past. I also wouldn't describe it as vegetal either, there was always just something in the aroma that I could never put my finger on and unfairly wrote off as the beet alcohol. Now that the color is less green I get the sense that I sense it less but I still can not say what it is or where it comes from.

Whether or not there actually is anything at all different about the absinthe in the bottle or I just remember or experienced it different in the past, I must say I preferred the shorter bottle over the new one.

I'm pretty new here but I disliked my first bottle of Lucid so much I gave it away. I decided to give it a second chance, new bottle, and its not too bad. It tastes cleaner, not that off putting funk I tasted before. I've only tried 4 different kinds so far, Lucid, Mansinthe, Ridge Verte, and Pacifique so ya Imma noob but I'm sure it tastes different now.