Brian Robinson

Absente and their thujone marketing

So, Absente is at it again with their thujone marketing. Here's the original post from their FB page:

Untitled.jpg

It's since drawn criticism from several people, including multiple members of the forum here.

This shit drives me nuts. It actually drove me to update my blog, which I haven't touched in 3 1/2 years. Here's the article.

I don't think they monitor their page very much anymore. They might even have an outsourced PR team making their posts. Who knows. One thing that's obvious is that they paid to bulk up their page likes. Their posts do t get snywhere near the activity they should with 36k likes. Most of them are more than likely fabricated. We get more activity on our posts with 2k.

Geddem, Brian! That thujone-as-teh-drugz nonsense is likely hurting domestic (for those of us in the US) distillers. I was sipping a Marteau Master's Reserve and a curious friend asked, "but, isn't that stuff fake? I heard US absinthe is fake".

No fool. But I bet everything that *you've* drunk is fake.

Geddem, Brian! That thujone-as-teh-drugz nonsense is likely hurting domestic (for those of us in the US) distillers. I was sipping a Marteau Master's Reserve and a curious friend asked, "but, isn't that stuff fake? I heard US absinthe is fake".

No fool. But I bet everything that *you've* drunk is fake.

But who is the bigger fool? He who knows the truth yet deceives the public, or he who knows no different and believes the deceiver?

You're right- it's hard to blame someone for not knowing something when they are actively being deceived. The first case isn't a fool though, just a jerk.

I had actually attempted to edit that post to remove my silly elitist comment at the end, but was unable to. That's what I get for typing and drinking!

I see that The Green Movement has edited the post which originally referred to the "resulting #thujone content." It now just states: "The element of artemisia absinthium authenticates #absinthe brands distilled with the botanical known as #wormwood. Discover a sublime sipping experience at Absente.com."

Oh and they haven't bothered to reply to my question which is: "You write: "We will only "censor" posts that are comprised of curse words and no valid content," and "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, thank you again for taking the time to again share your feedback." But as I understand it you have banned Brian Robinson Review Editor of the The Wormwood Society - Absinthe Education Organization from posting here. So your comments do not appear to be true. Can you explain your position on censorship and free speech, please."

Or to a subsequent question: "So is this real absinthe or not? I'm addressing the company Absinthe - The Green Movement. Please explain."

Hucksters.

attachicon.gifsnake-oil-salesman-big.jpg

I got a good laugh from your picture/remark! Thanks! The obvious question to ask them would be, "So, what was in it before?"

Though I doubt they know we exist, I'd like to think our label may have influenced their addition. (It didn't, but I'd like to think so.) When we did it, it was for several reasons, perhaps the biggest being that I was tired of answering over and over and over, "Yes, it's real," "Yes, absinthe made in the U.S. contains wormwood," "Absinthe has been available to sell here for quite some time now--it's real," etc..... I'm sure you can add to that list! Now, thankfully, I rarely get asked those questions. When I do, I'm able to laugh and say, "Well as you can see here on the label...but seriously, [insert applicable history and info of our brand and absinthe in general]"