Sign in to follow this  
Sarrusophone

Greetings

Dear everyone,

I have periodically read these forums over the years and thought I might join for an occasional contribution.

I am not a massive absinthe drinker, but I like the odd glass now and then, when the mood takes me. I think my favourite absinthe is the Jade Esprit Edouard (is this too predicatable?). I’m interested in what the Pernod Absinthe is like and might get a bottle when I next see one.

I have been thinking recently about combinations of absinthe and other herby drinks. This may be caused by having a severe cold and thinking something particularly medicinal might be in order.

I had a couple of goes last night. The first was stirring equal parts of green chartreuse; absinthe; dry vermouth and bergamot infused gin with a little sugar syrup. It was not very successful. I also thought the vermouth would coax a louche out of the absinthe but had no luck.

The second was simpler: equal parts of green chartreuse and absinthe stired with very wet ice which prodcued reasonable louche a very satisfactory flavour, once the temperature had risen slightly. Looking around the Internet, it appears that this is a legitimate cocktail of sorts, sometimes called an Opal. This is what it looked like:

.post-4371-0-98425500-1398936751.jpg

The absinthe I used was L'Enjôleuse fût de chêne by Paul Devoille with the standard Green Chartreuse. Perhaps a more expensive version of the latter might have improved things. Clearly, and unlike properly prepared absinthe, you need to be quite careful with this drink: I would estimate the ABV as being in the region of 60%...

Anyway, enough with cocktails. What do others think of the L'Enjôleuse fût de chêne? I enjoyed its smoothness and the relative lack of fennel but was a little disappointed with a lack of complexity. I’m mostly using it as a test to see if I can store a absinthe in a decanter long-term without problems...

Interesting experiments. When I am in need of a "medicinal," I usually just have a nice glass of absinthe.

Welcome to the Forum. :cheers:

What he said!

Welcome!

I don't know if I posted my review of L'Enjoluse yet, but my opinion would be in the reviews.

I like experiments with absinthe cocktails, try louching a glass of absinthe first and then adding something to it. I've have failures and successes doing this but they are almost always drinkable.

Hi Sarrusophone! I'm fairly new to the boards as well. There's no shame in your favorite absinthe being a popular selection- that means that you're doing something right! The Esprit d'Edouard is one of my top three as well. Your adventures in mixing absinthe cocktails sounds interesting, although I haven't had much interest in mixing it with other alcohol personally. Welcome to the forums! :)