Sign in to follow this  
sgtpepper

Hello fellow travelers, from the middle of the country and the middle of nowhere

Hey everybody!

I'm Jake from Sioux Falls SD. I have yet to experience the joy of experimenting with this fine spirit everyone on here raves about. But I am super excited to get started.

I'm interested in all aspects of absinthe. I have experimented with wormwood and mugwort as well as many other holistic herbs and chemicals. In fact I made wormwood tea last night.

Like I said I haven't tried absinthe yet and I know it just became legal here in the states recently. When I went to Canada two years ago I tried to look for it but we never actually made it to a liquor store.

So generally I would like advice on how to procure this delightful drink and how to drink it properly, of which I'm sure I can find on the forums. But I mostly would like to know about the green fairie.

Is the cultures take on the psychedelic properties of absinthe overblown? Or is there some truth to fear that made this drink illegal for almost a hundred year? That is what I'm most excited about finding out. Well and having something fancy besides Scotch (Scotch is delicious don't get me wrong) to sip on with my lovely wife.

Cheers! :)

Hey Jake! Yes, the myths of absinthe are over-blown to the point of being silly.

Generally speaking, there is a far greater selection of authentic absinthe available in the US than our friends to the North.

Keep reading and start tasting!

Welcome to the Forum. :cheers:

So generally I would like advice on how to procure this delightful drink

Here.

SgtPepper? Nice name. I think there's a thread about favourite albums somewhere here.

You will get by here fine "with a little help from your friends," who will help "fix a hole" in your absinthe knowledge.

Edited by Alan Moss

Welcome! Im pretty new here as well, and there are alot of websites listed in the forums that make it very easy to order many different brands in the US (or overseas if you prefer).....

Welcome. :cheers:

The notion of absinthe as a hallucinogen or psychedelic is 100% fiction, and it's not even a historic idea. The idea became popular in the mid-1970s but was quickly disproved with actual science. But that hasn't stopped people from wanting to believe it.

Once one realizes how many millions of people drank absinthe in cafés every day for over 100 years, it becomes obvious that the whole idea is preposterous.

Don't trip bro, it's just a tasty spirit with a rich history and culture. This stated,it's pretty awesome. Oh and welcome and cheers Sgt pepper. We may not be the Lonely Hearts Club, but you'll fit in! :cheerz:

Welcome! To add to what Gwydion said, your wormwood tea probably had more of the controversial active chemical than any historical absinthe. Didn't feel anything did you? Evidence enough.

Don't let that stop you from experimenting though. Wormwood distillate is very tasty. Historical vermouth, malort, and even some beers incorporate it as well, all tasty stuff.

The idea became popular in the mid-1970s but was quickly disproved with actual science. But that hasn't stopped people from wanting to believe it.

As if there was a shortage of actual drugs in the 70s.

Oh, and welcome, Jake!