Matt S

Importing American Absinthe Into Australia

I know the term finest is very subjective. I guess what Im after is the question that begs me, am I missing out on anything else that could be better than if I just go for these 2 selections. They are from the same producer. Should I consider any other combination/s which one could rate as good or better. I do enjoy the more traditional Vertes such as that in the Jade PF 1901 and the VS1898. I would be more than suitably impressed if I could get my hands on a US absinthe that can match these Jades. Or am I dreaming..please enlighten me folks :holiday:

Edited by gee13

Are American absinthes as good as the Jades or top shelf European absinthes? Absolutely. Are they better? Some are and and some are not. That whole subjectivity thing comes creeping in. I like the Jades very much but I would say the same thing about a half a dozen other absinthe made in the US.

While MoL and WW are very good, I would select Pacifique and Marteau before them. JMHO.

Id get all 4 if I could Joe.. Id like to try your Ridge as well. I dont think Ive faced a harder choice here as Ive closely read all the reviews. The other problem is that if I do fall in love with whichever I end up choosing Im trying to reconcile myself with not being able to easily get another one in for a long while! :g:

Well I had only one bottle allowance for my friend to bring in to Bali -

So Ive bitten the bullet and chosen Walton Waters... This was a hard choice but a start.

With any luck I will try and get others in. Marteau and MoL is next, then Id like to try Ridge and Pacifique.

Well Im about to put this Shipito thing to the test. Have ordered the Marteau Master's Reserve, Ridge Verte and Meadow of Love from Catskills, plus another bottle of MoL for gee13. Would have liked to get Pacifique too but had to makes a touch choice int he name of costs. Maybe next time. So with any luck I'll be sitting down to one of these absinthes in a few weeks and finding out for myself what all the fuss is about :)

Arrived yesterday. Had a taste of them all last night and was very impressed. Definitely worth the extra effort to get them. Apologies for the crappy pic quality post-4206-0-22804000-1382746859_thumb.jpg

Edited by JakeBarnes

All I can say is I was suitably impressed by Walton Waters, really looking forward to comparing/contrasting with MOL. It would take quite a bit for Ridge and Marteau to top Cheryls distill. But Im yet to try them and Im looking forward to tasting the samples. Huge props again to JB for the networking opportunity

No problem at all mate, I'm sure you won't be disappointed with any of them.

Thanks for the insight Evan, My palate's probably not sophisticated enough yet to distinguish between different terroir anyway, but at least I will have fun trying.

I'm actually slightly annoyed by how much I enjoy these American absinthes. I was hoping they'd turn out to be over-hyped and I could happily go back to sourcing my absinthe through cheaper, simpler and safer routes. But I like these so much I'm definitely going to have to go back for more

That's the problem with myths like "American absinthe isn't ...", once people actually try the American brands they change their mind about such statements.

However, people are free to delude themselves when they never challenge such beliefs. I'd love to see a blind taste test of American versus Euro absinthe. I'm sure the results would shock as much as the one for wine did.

I hear that some people in Australia sourced some fine American wormwood, so things are looking good for you guys down there.

Cheers to your future! :cheers:

The herbs are only part of the equation of a good absinthe. It is up to the distiller to blend and cook up something which is absinthe. You can get a pretty bad absinthe with top notch herbs.

That's the problem with myths like "American absinthe isn't ...", once people actually try the American brands they change their mind about such statements.

I could change his mind again by sending him some Knarr.

I hate to derail this thread any further but..., another Montana micro-distillery decided it would be fun to make their own "seasonal absinthe." They contacted us to see if we could help them find herbs or "appropriate substitutes." These guys have one column still and zero training (to my knowledge). I'm laying odds on the birth of Knarr II.