my next question tho Is, how well will this rum base Obsello pair with champagne In a Hemingway ? :)

No offense taken to the previous post. I have long supported establishing a standard. Thanks for the support!!!

Regarding price: as a newbie of 1yr or so... an absinthe at this price would be totally attractive to someone who has never made a purchase before. I'll be sure to pick this up when I order my next crop of brands to try - interested in how a rum base would work! (I also enjoy a good rum)

Best of luck!

then I noticed your post here almost seeming to look for approval from fellow members.

We are his target audience...it only makes sense to let us know new stuff is on it's way so we can all clamor to get some. :biggrin: Sadly I already blew through my booze budget for this month, so I have to wait for February. :dead:

Yup. I have a bottle on the way, and some of the old stuff..

Ditto. And about 6 oz left of the interesting Special Reserve. Might have to do a vertical. :)

By the way, Bryan, have you been receiving my messages? I replied to your email via several different media, but haven't heard back. I know it's a bit classless to say that here in public, but I've tried all other methods. My apologies.

Regarding price: as a newbie of 1yr or so... an absinthe at this price would be totally attractive to someone who

Likes to drink everyday. :cheerz:

Seriously

I would like a label/sticker that tells me the contents are distilled anise, wormwood, and fennel (single batch or blended like Todd's gin), and that dominant flavors would come from the anise, followed by the other two in the trinity. The label would also mean that the coloring is natural (personally I'd ban bug guts), and that there is no sugar added.

I would not want the sticker to exclude minor herbs that are not 'classical', as long as the main flavor profile comes from the trinity. Not including MoL, La Grenouille, and a few others would be tragic, and decrease the credibility of the label.

Ditto. And about 6 oz left of the interesting Special Reserve. Might have to do a vertical. :)

Speaking of Special Reserve, does anyone know if it's still available? I never got to try that one... :3869-sadbanana:

Yup. I have a bottle on the way, and some of the old stuff..

By the way, Bryan, have you been receiving my messages? I replied to your email via several different media, but haven't heard back. I know it's a bit classless to say that here in public, but I've tried all other methods. My apologies.

Hey Brian,

I got at least one of your messages. Sorry about my tardy response. It's just that in the old days we had a small army working for us so I had time to do things like answer email and sleep :twitchsmile:. These days it's just Joanne and I so I have been out working on broken equipment or making booze pretty much all the time. You should have a sample in the next day or two!!!

It never was. ;). I was lucky enough to get some when I met with Bryan in Madrid.

Sadly all 1000l of it was incinerated by the Spanish government when we left (tax thing) :angry2:. But alas I still have the recipe... Maybe that will be the next project... Or maybe I have already done it... :g:

Regarding price: as a newbie of 1yr or so... an absinthe at this price would be totally attractive to someone who

:hysterical2: You are making me rethink the pricing! I don't want to be morally responsible for anyones downfall... Except my own of course.

I have a glass of absinthe almost every day. I had looked for decades for an adult beverage I could enjoy on a daily basis, with out much success. Glen Morangie and the better ales were as close as I got, but I never really desired them more than once a week. Pastis, I enjoyed during the summer, but the star anise bitch slap and cloying sugar kept it an occasional drink. Then my dad took me to a liquor store, where he turned into Laurence Fishburne and offered me a blue pill or a green pill. :cheers:

Edited by Père Ubu

Today I finally retrieved my Obsello II shipment from OOPS. As you can see I took before and after photos while making my first glass (which I am sipping as I type) using 4 oz. of water to a full reservoir measure of the absinthe with sugar (with my beautiful Obsello spoon!). Please understand this is a first impression from a relative newcomer to absinthe, so I don't pretend to be as well versed as a good number of the members on this forum. Obsello II appears to be slower to louche than other absinthes in my collection and once the louche is complete is much thinner than most that I've tried. The aroma is very nice! With the first swallow you realize instantly how unique this absinthe is. All the usual ingredients are there, but the rum base adds a very mellow tone to the whole experience. The mouthfeel to me is thin like the louche, but I must say I enjoy the interplay of the various flavors with the rum base. I can see how you had to balance the traditional ingredients to work with the rum base, and in my opinion you have done well! I would suggest working on thickening the mouthfeel a bit. Overall I think this is a very welcome addition to my collection and I look forward to seeing (and tasting) how this unique formulation progresses.

post-4003-0-74314500-1358649334_thumb.jpg

post-4003-0-10618500-1358649336_thumb.jpg

Edited by Manray

I'm always leery of forming a strong opinion on the same day I open any bottle of absinthe. If this Obsello is anything like the first incarnation, I'd say breathing is especially important. It took about 2 weeks for minty grassy astringency to age out of #1. Some knowledgeable folk remarked that even after that, it was tailsy, but I had trouble detecting much in the way of undesirable traits. Alas the Spanish grape base that I liked so much is gone, but yeah, I'm hoping the rum base in the new release will be just as good.

Tailsy is tailsy. It doesn't go away with exposure to air. I just re-read the entire 18 pages of the original Obsello thread. I see no mention there of "tailsy", although, much like some other absinthes discussed in these forums, it is interesting to note those who did not weigh in.

Yes, I agree I should try starting at 3:1 next time. Now that a bit of "atmosphere" has been introduced into the bottle I'll let it sit for a week or two and go back to it. Yes Joseph, I think the Obsello II would be worth investigating, especially if you like rum to begin with.

My bottle just came yesterday and I had a few glasses last night. I liked it a lot. This is one I want to always keep on hand due to the flavor and reasonable price. For what it's worth, I am not sure I would have included it in my order were it not for the price. Now I am glad I did!

Edited by King_Stannis

Warning: overly long and mouthy post ahead. Proceed with mercy.

Okay, whatever. <shrugs> . Here goes.<clears throat>. I posted that the first glass of Obsello 2 out of a freshly opened, freshly off the shipping truck, freshly poured bottle, in so many words, sucked balls. And it did. It was all sorghum molasses to me and nothing else. Second night, same thing. Bitch and moan some more, huff and puff, kick the dog, whatever. (not really, I wouldn't kick my dog). But I didn't like it at all.

Now, to get this lined up properly, know that my darling wife and I both enjoy our absinthe. Some she loves that I don't and visa versa. Usually I will pour one and prepare, while she tries to guess what it is. Last night the tables were turned and it was my turn to guess. The aroma right off the bat during louche was Ridge Verte. I could smell the alpine goodness that I KNOW is Ridge. The louche was thick and beautiful. Wife shakes head :no2: . I smell some more, take a sip. Aha! says I. That is Marteau. I smell the orris and know that's it. Wife :no2: again. I name off something else and again get shot down. Finally she says Obsello. To which I lovingly replied, "BULLSHIT lady! That ain't no damn Obsello!" The Obsello that I poured had a puny thin louche and one dimensional flavor. This glass smelled nice, had a thick louche and was pleasant. Stuck my nose in and took a long smell. Okay, I can smell the rum base now, but it's not overpowering as before. It was toned down and blended with the other herbs much better this time.

Now I don't know if the next glass I pour will be the same, but this one was good and tasty. Could it be it just needed to settle? Was it my own imagination? Did the bottle need to air a bit? Was I getting used to the rum base? Or was I being swayed by others comments? Could it have changed that much in a weeks time? I'm really confused right now. :wacko:

Which leads me to my second point, Is it unwise to post opinions on just one or two glasses? And how important are first impressions? I have had samples of a couple absinthes that I didn't care for and posted comments as such. Was that wrong to do on just a couple glasses? Am I being too judgemental too quickly? Should I have waited to see if the next glass acted the same as this one before making this long and drawn out post? Do I just not know absinthe? Am I a completely clueless amateur still? Or am I just batshit crazy? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

And please forgive my writing style in this post. I tried to pretty it up to be easier on the eyes instead of one big paragraph crybaby rant.

Funny! I haven't gone into details about Obsello 2 yet (outside of a few PMs), for just this reason. I was not happy with it for the first few attempts. I brought the bottle to an absinthe tasting party last week, and a couple folks really liked it. I plan on a re-visit. I like to sample several glasses over a couple weeks before I write a review now, just in case changes like this occur. There's no question also, that knowing what we're drinking, who made it, etc... can influence our perceptions and opinions. Also, it's a first batch from their new distillery, and it will likely evolve from batch to batch, just like everyone else's. thanks for posting this...it's a great point to make.

Documenting the experience from first glass onward and how the absinthe develops is a good thing. It is also wise to hold of on posting a formal review until you are a few glasses into the bottle for this exact reason.