TheLoucheyMonster!

The Green Villain, South Carolia absinthe from Dark Corner

Our corn whiskey contains no sugar in the wash. We reference "moonshine" because of its influence on the history and culture of our namesake "Dark Corner". This is, however, only a romantic nod. I personally refer to it as "new make" when sampling it at the tasting bar. It powers the bourbon we are about to release in November-- the first hand-mashed bourbon since prohibition in SC! We are very excited to say the least!

I'm looking forward to trying your absinthe! Is Blue Star up and running now?

Blue Star Potables LLC owns and operates Quincy Street Distillery, which indeed is up and running. We are selling 2 products in the retail shop: "Water Tower White Lightning" unaged Illinois corn whiskey and "Old No. 176" American gin. Both are based on the same corn mash, with about 84% corn and balance rye and barley malts. We have put some in barrel for our first bourbon, in a small cask for a 5-6 month "rested" bourbon, and then in full size barrels for a straight bourbon. We are waiting on formula approval for our honey spirit, which is the base for the absinthe.

I have no words.

I guess being out of the loop on this one, even in my backyard, turns out to have been a good thing. Everybody has to start from somewhere. I wish them all the luck.

I live about 30 minutes outside of downtown Greenville and after hearing about the Dark Corner Distillery last week I made a trip down there yesterday. Thankfully they were sampling their Absinthe. I was most impressed. Of course since I've only had Lucid and Pernod before and I really didn't like the Pernod very much, I wouldn't call myself an experienced Absinthe drinker. In any event, "The Green Villain" was quite good. So good in fact that I purchased two bottles of it and spent the next three hours after returning home in an Absinthe fueled haze. So it gets two thumbs up from me. I just think it's spectacular that somebody is distilling some good quality Absinthe right here in town.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Green Villain. Its foundation is a traditional recipe dating back to the 1870s. Even the call for mint was in the recipe. I chose a different mint type and added lavender to round everything out. While it may not pass snuff to a purist, I think it's solid. I'm currently working on batch 2-- there's a few minor changes in store which should tighten its structure, improve the louche, and correct the color.

If you are ever in the area, please drop in and say hello. We sample absinthe to the public every saturday in the distillery, but we make an exception for WS members. Batch two I'm hoping to have ready by the end of this week.

Hopefully heading down to Chucktown to pick up new Vulva Saturday. If it all goes thru, might be a road trip in my future to G'ville. I do prefer traditional, but folks here know I'll try anything...once.

What's the distributor status, if you're at liberty to say, on getting the absinthe in Colatown? I saw we already have your Shine.

We should have all of our other products state-wide from the flavored corn whiskys to the new western style gin and hot mama. The absinthe, however, hasn't started distribution yet.

Each batch is roughly 100 bottles. Until we expand, I don't think we'll see distribution of the Green Villain. If we do manage to get some out of the distillery, it will be in very small quantities.

Let me know when you are swinging through-- we tend to sample the absinthe on Saturdays.

... batch three is on the shelves. I'd love some feedback. :) I'm super pleased with the results!
I couldn't be more excited for you and I can't wait to give it taste! :thumbup:

Definitely let us know when you are venturing to Gvegas-- we don't always have the absinthe out for sampling, but we definitely make exceptions for those who make a special trip down. Normal absinthe samplings are Fri/Sat.

Joe, many thanks for the support! Hopefully you'll get to try it soon. I'm sipping on the Ridge Verte right now. :)

Picked up two bottles of batch 3 today...wow look at the difference in color. And no, we didn't leave our batch 1 out, they were deadleafed from the jump pretty much and we bought the day of the release.

DSC08832.jpg

I won't tell you about the one bottle that has a ton of those little black flakes that usually show up on the last drink of Leopold and Obsello...the extra yummy flakes haha.

Nope...no mention of that.

I really wish some other folks could get ahold of this stuff. Why can't we ship small qty of booze legally?

New louched up pic:

DSC08835.jpg

Much improved there. New flavor is closer to MoL, more lavender forward this time. Maybe just because its brand new too, we will see. I'd say as of right now (just had an older glass) this is almost different enough to be a whole new shebang.

Just opened the bottle of batch 6, it is so good. I do feel you went too traditional on this one though and hope round 7 will bring back that Villain flavor.

Bravo on the smoothness, the louche is great, the smell is divine. I'd buy this one again. 3 and 6 have been tops IMO.

BTW why do you not write the batch # on the Villain when you do on all the others?

It hadn't ever occurred to me to document batch and bottle number on the absinthe, but that's a good idea. We will be retooling the label in the next month or so, and I'll add that as a talking point when I meet with the owner. I'll give you a heads up when batch 7 is ready-- there's a few things I'm still tweaking.

Bump. How's your absinthe coming along. Still haven't made it up to G'ville. Not really my stomping grounds. Is there anywhere moving back towards Colatown that carries it?

The GV is under limited distribution at the moment. Most of the distributed stock goes to DC. Each batch is a limited run of about 120 bottles-- most of it sells in store each month.

I'll be in Columbia next Wednesday for a whiskey event at the new Bourbon restaurant. I could probably bring a bottle with me if you are in the area.