abaxial

Broken seals on order from absintheclassics.com

Hello all,

My shipment of Jades and a bottle of Berthe de Joux came in today from AbsintheClassics.com (not absinthes.com as the post title states, sorry for the confusion). Needless to say I was very excited to see the box. However, opening the package I notice that wax seals on all 5 bottles were broken. The corks don't look tampered with on the jades, but the Berthe has a t cork and could easily have been opened.

Now, it's more than likely that the wax was broken during the shipping process, but I have a paranoid mindset. Is the wax on these bottles very brittle normally (in caparison, the wax on my DP bottles is quite pliable)?

Has anybody else experienced this, or should I contact absinthe classics with pictures?

http://imgur.com/a/yljFM

http://i.imgur.com/LmhBt

Edited by abaxial

Hello all,

My shipment of Jades and a bottle of Berthe de Joux came in today from absinthe classics...needless to say I was very excited to see the box. However, opening the package I notice that wax seals on all 5 bottles were broken. The corks don't look tampered with on the jades, but the Berthe has a t cork and could easily have been opened.

Now, it's more than likely that the wax was broken during the shipping process, but I have a paranoid mindset. Is the wax on these bottles very brittle normally ( in caparisoned, the was on my DP bottles is quite pliable)?

Has anybody else experienced this, or should I contact absinthe classics with pictures?

http://imgur.com/a/yljFM

http://i.imgur.com/LmhBt

Added images to original post

PS-Am totally unfamiliar with forums...can anyone tell me how to put up a pic directly in a post?

I have a paranoid mindset

When you pay that much money for booze, it's easy to understand your concern.

You'll get used to it. And yes, a lot of the wax seals are very brittle.

Broken bottles are a whole different story. ;)

Nice picks! The Jade wax is very brittle. I've never had that happen to my bottles, but I wouldn't be concerned if they showed up that way.

My BC had the wax peel off. Tastes freaking awesome. As long as the cork and bottle are ok, you should be fine.

Edited by Miguel

I guess I'll be the person to disagree. I've ordered plenty of Jade and the corks have never had any damage. The Jade corks in the picture look they've been pulled using a vacuum cork remover. As for the Berthe de Joux, why is the wax still on the cork and below the lip fine but perfectly removed at the lip? If I were running a liquor business I would never accept any stock in that condition let alone sell it like that. ;)

I guess I'll be the person to disagree. I've ordered plenty of Jade and the corks have never had any damage. The Jade corks in the picture look they've been pulled using a vacuum cork remover. As for the Berthe de Joux, why is the wax still on the cork and below the lip fine but perfectly removed at the lip? If I were running a liquor business I would never accept any stock in that condition let alone sell it like that. ;)

I agree, and this is why I'm paranoid. Could US customs have something to do with this? I'll contact absinthe classics but my guess is they'll say the bottles left their warehouse in "perfect condition".

It just seems odd, as you said, that the wax is uniformly broken off ALL the bottles, and the Berthe DOES look like it could have been opened.

Sucks to have paid as much as I did to recieve the bottles in that condition and I have very little recourse

Edited by abaxial

Could US customs have something to do with this?

They were just oxygenating them a bit for ya. :twitchsmile:

I understand the humor, just more than a little bummed out right now to consider that I spent over $300 to receive bottles that have possibly been tampered with

I'll contact absinthe classics

That's what I would do

and also, per the forum rules:

Also, please refrain from quoting the previous post. This has the effect of repeating the last thing someone says to you in a conversation before your own response (echolalia).

Believe me, I had to be reminded several times myself when I first started posting.

Edited by Songcatcher

What Songcatcher said. Both times.

Contacting the vender is excellent advice. Period.

Reading the previous post after just having read it is frustrating and unnecessary. Thanks. :thumbup:

Admittedly I'm very new to this community and have much to learn, but I have purchased alcohol before. I've just never received bottles, of any alcohol, in this condition. If this is not uncommon when purchasing absinthe, I apologize for bringing it up. However, and I mean no disrespect, I think this is slightly different than complaining about a misaligned label...

Edited by abaxial

It isn't sold like this, it happens in shipping. The vendor will likely confirm this.

I've spoken to Marc at Emile Pernot, as three of the 4 bottles had shattered wax one time. I have had Jades arrive like this as well. The chances of it being tampered with are very slim, but contacting them certainly can't hurt. They will likely tell you that it occurs at times. The lip on the BDJ bottle is what would get knocked into other bottles the most. It is exactly what happened in my shipment a year or so ago. I've had at least a dozen bottles over time arrive with cracked or shattered wax, and it was always a Jade or Pernod, because of the brittle nature of the wax. Besides, your box would have shown signs of being opened and re-sealed if it been messed with by customs. Also, were the chips from the wax in the box? If it were tampered with, the bottles would have likely been removed, and the wax would not be in the box.

Seriously, I'd just enjoy it!

Edited by Scott M.

US customs doesn't allow absinthe to be imported in such a manner. If a customs officer opens a package and finds absinthe bottles, the package gets seized.

Edited by Phoenix

Do you still have all the packaging? Because if you do, you should find the pieces of the broken wax somewhere in the box if it happened during shipping.

I've only ordered once from absinthes.com and although the bottles arrived safely I was a little surprised at how unprotected the bottles were in the rather flimsy box. LDF, DUNY, and CC all ship in super protective packaging.

I do have the packaging, and while there **was** wax in the box, there didn't seem to be enough to account for all the bottles being pretty much "wax free", as seen in the pictures. But, never having ordered from absinthe classics before, and this being my first experience with the Jade line, I have no basis of comparison. Part of the reason Im turning to you fine folks.

And, yes, I was surprised how flimsily packaged the shipment was, compared to that from CC and Chambers Street Wines

But, apparently Im worrying about nothing, based on the consensus, so maybe I should just chill out.

Sorry, but did you order from absinthe classics or absinthes.com? You just mentioned absinthes classics, but the title of the thread is absinthes.com. I believe they are two different vendors. I've never ordered from absinthe classics. Not that it matters to your issue, but I don't want to comment on a vendor I know nothing about.

Edited by crow

My apologies for not seeing the images before I posted. I've had several bottles delivered to me with brittle wax but none as clean as those.

Understand that some of us have seen some ugliness resulting from poor packaging but those are pretty dang clean.

Send those pics to your vendor. Share your concern. Be pleasant, as I'm sure you are, but get their side of the story. You have not made them out to be bad but just shared you concern here. That is a nice approach.

An email should get you a quick reply.

Nice line up also. :thumbup:

Sorry, but did you order from absinthe classics or absinthes.com?

sorry for the post title confusion (/facepalm). The order was from absinthe classics. Is there any way to edit the post title?

Edited by abaxial

The cork and wax that Cheryl uses are the way to go. The wax doesn't come off without a fight, but just cut around the seam with a sharp knife and pull the T cork. I'd be grateful for the wax falling off those bunghole style corks - what a pain in the ass to remove that stuff.

Again, spot on. I love the t-corks.

The wax issues are remedied with warm water over the wax and a bit of patience. Something lack so much of.

I keep a bag of t-corks here for wine, absinthe, beer and other bottles. They are a delight after fighting the other corks for so many years. Every brew shop has them. If t-corking a sparkling beverage a piece of good tape will put your mind at ease. Done it and swear by them.

And to the rest of you. :cheers:

When I ordered three bottles of Jade from Liqueurs de France, one of the bottles had the wax seal removed.

I know customs in Taiwan opened the package, because they mentioned the high alcohol percentage of my "wine" and taxed it as whiskey.

I don't think the seal simply broke, it looked like someone in customs took the time to scrape all the wax off. The cork appeared untouched, so I don't know why they would bother to remove the seal.

To be honest, after going through the hassle of removing the other wax seals, I consider what they did to be a favour.