optional

Trouble with the Jade line

Although I LOVE Jade bottles, am I the only one to have problems with the corks they use? They seem to be terrible quality, always very dry and crumbly. I inevitably get a few bits of cork in the absinthe and have to transfer/decant into another container.

Do I suck at opening these bottles or is this is a common occurance?

If that's true, I have to say, I have to take a few points off the Jade line. It's frustrating to have to worry about the cork every time I want to enjoy a bottle.

Jades. They are what old Pacifique T-corks are for.

Ted is a traditionalist, so he uses corks and bottles that look traditional. But they are a pain, compared to more modern ways.

Edited by Miguel

I think the dry,crumbly corks are part of their attempt to be as authentic to a 100 year old plus bottle of preban as possible :tongue: .I mentioned on another thread that I found some really good replacement corks at Bed Bath & Beyond.One six pack contains three T tops & three plain tops,all tapered,they fit great.Real cork,not plastic.After I open a new bottle of Jade,I throw out their cork and use a replacement.

Edited by redwun

I think the dry,crumbly corks must be their attempt to be as authentic to a 100 plus year old bottle of preban as possible :tongue: .I found some really good replacement corks at Bed Bath & Beyond.One six pack contains three T tops & three plain tops,all tapered,they fit great.Real cork,not plastic.After I open a new bottle of Jade,I throw out their cork and use a replacement.

I also am deep into scotch. Many of the Glenmorangie bottles (La Santa and Quinta Ruban in particular) have corks that fit the Jade bottles perfectly. Duplais Verte fits Jade bottles too but not as good as Glenmorangie.

Edited by optional

I've been saving my empties corks...sob...now have a pacifique (RIP brother), a Leopold (sigh...), and a Ridge Verte (you will be missed).

You'd think a cabinet with Ridge Blanche, Obsello, MoL, and Corsair red would make you happy but not when those other three have recently vacated.

At least there's room for the Blues Cat!!

I saw a friend's great aunt do something similar to this once.

Nice trick Ambear. **However** With the price attached to a bottle of Absinthe there is NO WAY IN SHIVA'S CREATION I'm going to bash that bottle against a brick wall.

You could go 'ghetto' style and just push the cork into the bottle, then pour the rest into your decantur. Since it's gonna end up there anyways.... Just sayin.

Here ya go, one look and it'll become clear.

For my next trick, I'll show you how to remove a cork with a plastic bag:

http://www.feeverte.net/forum/index.php?sh...ic=4012&hl=

That's great!!!! How did I get through my life with out knowing these life saving techniques! Edited by redwun

Here ya go, one look and it'll become clear.

For my next trick, I'll show you how to remove a cork with a plastic bag:

http://www.feeverte.net/forum/index.php?sh...ic=4012&hl=

That's great!!!! How did I get through my life with out knowing these life saving techniques!

Yeah, you go ahead and bash a 100+ dollar bottle of absinthe against a brick wall. Have fun.

It's all relative.

If you've ever watched American Chopper, you've seen those guys destroy thousands of dollars worth of property and it's fun to them. But then, they're rolling in cash and the camera is on.

they're rolling in cash and the camera is on.

For those two reasons, I don't watch them. I have a stronger opinion but this isn't the place.

There is no problem with the Jade line as far as I can see. I can't find it anyway. ;)

You can also do this without the shoe, against a wooden post or well established tree that won't be damaged, although nowadays I'd be wary of provoking the tree gods.

My brother was with some friends and attempted the trick... resulting in a red puddle and shards of glass!