Jetzster

Time for a WS City Roll Call

I was doing time with my brother and his family there. Can't pinpoint Cerillos in my mind right now, but I got a pretty good idea what it means if you chose to live in Madrid. B)

Well, since I'll receive my mail even if addressed to Seattle, rather than Shoreline ..... Seattle it is!

And while I don't exactly dream of Duvall, I do have a ton of fun out there regularly, with my genetically-engineered, dinosaur-retrieving wolves.

not likely, (frankly, i'd prefer desolation peak and mt. hozomeen - desolation angels is my favorite of jack's books)

the itinerary -

'86 - '92 - adelphi, md

'92 - '95 - portland, or

'95 - '98 - laurel, md

'98 - 2000 - toronto, ontario, CA

'00 - '02 - laurel, md

'02 - date - mn

I am a HUGE Kerouac fan. Re-reading Visions of Cody right now.

Anyways, my path:

Safford, Arizona to Tempe, Arizona to Puerto Penasco, Mexico to Corona Del Mar (Newport Beach), CA

The Oldest gave me On the Road as a birthday gift. It took me a year to finish it. I cursed him every time I picked the book up. I compared reading the book to watching a slow motion train wreck. Years later The Oldest gave me The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test. Again, I cursed him every time I picked the book up. Another slow motion train wreck but I found it facinating to refer back to the people from On the Road. Perspective shifts with time. :cheers:

One of my very fondest memories is one time strolling along above the river in Brooklyn Heights with Allen Ginsberg as he reminisced about Jack and then broke into a recitation of Hart Crane's The Bridge. Pure magic.

Thanks for the memories, Allen. :cheers:

My little path:

Portland, Or (1990)

Seattle, WA (1991)

Buffalo, NY (92-93)

Ann Arbor, MI ( 93-94)

Atlanta, GA (94-98)

Long Island, NY (98)

Atlanta, GA (98-99)

Tarzana, CA (2000)

Santa Barbara, CA (01-03)

Atlanta, GA (03-05)

Marina del Rey, CA (05-current)

I'd always fall back to Atlanta because I could easily fly anywhere from Hartsfield Airport.

The Oldest gave me On the Road as a birthday gift. It took me a year to finish it. I cursed him every time I picked the book up. I compared reading the book to watching a slow motion train wreck. Years later The Oldest gave me The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test. Again, I cursed him every time I picked the book up. Another slow motion train wreck but I found it facinating to refer back to the people from On the Road. Perspective shifts with time. :cheers:

With the luxury of a year to read it, I might have actually enjoyed On the Road. Instead, I had only a couple of weeks to wrestle my way through Kerouac's forced pseudo-jazz prose. I then repeated the mistake with Dharma bums. With no offense meant to his namesake on this forum, I think Kerouac is wildly overrated.

On the other hand, Kerouac was the reason I developed my three-book probationary rule for authors.

None taken. Since the publication of "On the Road" few have been neutral about Kerouac. While the Beats have left a tremendous legacy, in all candor, it is still too soon to assess the longevity of its impact. IMHO, only after "a thing" (person, movement, historical event) has passed from living memory can an objective impact of its contribution be made.

I agree. I wouldn't venture to say that the Beats didn't have an impact. I think a lot of the Beats are fantastic. I just think Kerouac isn't a very good writer. Unfortunately, he gets a lot of attention over people more talented like, say Ferlinghetti.