Sign in to follow this  
TheLoucheyMonster!

Vegan Absinth

Rouges colored with cochineal aren't vegan. Granted, rouges are rare in comparison to vertes and blanches, but if someone is using wild crafted partially digested cud to color their vertes, some vegans might take offense at it.

Last thing I heard, using cochineal as a way to add red color had been outlawed - at least, I think in Spain that is the case.

We have a drink called Bitter Kas, which used to be colored with cochineal grown in the Canary Islands, but I think now is just red dye. It did not bother me that the color was this bug's blood though - I love the drink!!

When I went to the Canary Islands we had the opportunity to see the bug in a cactus garden. It was the size of a pea (maybe a bit bigger) and after squeezing it you had a lot of blood in your fingers, considering it was so small. But it was the kind of bug one would stamp with a shoe anyway...

Beaver gland! Are you drinking any? :shock:

From Wikipedia

Castoreum is the exudate from the castor sacs of the mature North American Beaver Ca and the European Beaver ...

Today, it is used in trapping, as a tincture in some perfumes, as a food additive, or touted as an aphrodisiac....

In the United States, Castoreum has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as a food additive, often referenced simply as a "natural flavoring" in the product's list of ingredients. It is commonly used in both food and beverages, especially as vanilla and raspberry flavoring.

Castoreum has been traditionally used in Scandinavia for flavoring snaps commonly referred to as "Bäverhojt".

Anyway, my intent on starting this thread was just to pass on information to consumers that 'recognized' vegan options exist, and also to let any producers know that they could become so recognized, and maybe gain a few customers.

WS is after all an education forum, doing the same kind of thing that Barnivore is doing in educating consumers. Yes, some things may seem a little silly to us omnivores, but to some it is serious.

Edited by TheLoucheyMonster!

It is a serious thing to vegans, and there are reasons. In many wines, animal by products are often used for clarification and fining. It is not silly for vegans to want to enjoy a spirit of choice, and I think you would find most absinthe would qualify as vegan. For the record, I have yet to see Peridot ever deserve to be called dick-headed on this forum.

You might be surprised what makes it into some drinks:

Link

Last thing I heard, using cochineal as a way to add red color had been outlawed - at least, I think in Spain that is the case.

I don't know about Spain in particular, but nowadays in both the US and EU carmine/ cochineal has to be listed on the packaging instead of simply Natural Red #4, C.I. 75470, or E120.

However, it appears that now they've developed bacteria that can produce it.

It is a serious thing to vegans, and there are reasons. In many wines, animal by products are often used for clarification and fining. It is not silly for vegans to want to enjoy a spirit of choice, and I think you would find most absinthe would qualify as vegan. For the record, I have yet to see Peridot ever deserve to be called dick-headed on this forum.

Thanks, Scott.

Take a chill pill. I'm not being a dick by pointing the obvious silliness of absinthe, or most alcoholic drinks, being labeled vegan. It's neutral spirits and herbs, who the heck needs a label to be sure there isn't a hidden burger in there. Your dickheaded responses to a little humor are just to amusing. A label to tell people absinthe is free of animal content, really?

Jackasses always cover being mean-spirited and intentionally trying to get a rise out of people by saying "I was just joking. Can't you take a joke?" Not if it's not original. Or clever. Or funny.

Trying to piss people off is trolling. We don't tolerate trolls 'round here.

Same in life....I had several old friends, who were often abrasive and rude, but then would make up for it by being extra-nice. Then they'd poke at you again for fun, in a hurtful way, knowing you'd forgive them when they did something kind again.

After too many years, I realized there were enough people out there who are the real thing all the time, and I cut the other "friends" loose. No hard feelings, but seriously...I have better things to do than hang out with folks who seek attention in such dis-functional and codependent ways.

I'll drink a toast tonight to all you real thing folks here. I know you're there...I've met you. :cheers:

Are you SURE you're not that Black Metal Vegan guy? He's BRVTAL. :laugh:

Ha! Well, for one I'm not vegan, just vegetarian. But to most folks it's the same thing.

Are you SURE you're not that Black Metal Vegan guy? He's BRVTAL. :laugh:

Ha! Well, for one I'm not vegan, just vegetarian. But to most folks it's the same thing.

If you still eat eggs and dairy, it's a world of difference...I don't think I could do without either, but regularly go without meat because I'm cheap frugal.

Not as a dig against you, but I find vegetarians to opt for less flavorful food or less creativity, whereas vegans go crazy with spices and flavors...I've met a few who really know how to cook (then again, this is the difference I've noticed as an outsider.) Then again, with your Scoville tolerance, you seem like the type of vegetarian who knows how to utilize flavor. :devil:

Well, for one I'm not vegan, just vegetarian. But to most folks it's the same thing.

That's just crazy talk.

After all, a lot of vegetarian cooking is delicious!*

Just kidding, vegans.

Seriously. :)

If you still eat eggs and dairy, it's a world of difference...I don't think I could do without either, but regularly go without meat because I'm cheap frugal.

I do eat eggs and dairy, as well as honey and Serpis. I don't purchase milk but I don't avoid it if it's in stuff. And I like cheese. Honestly though the only real thing making me not vegan is honey; it's like a drug.

Not as a dig against you, but I find vegetarians to opt for less flavorful food or less creativity, whereas vegans go crazy with spices and flavors...

Not me. In fact I find meat mostly flavourless now on the rare occasions I feel compelled to eat it in a polite situation. It always smells really good but then tastes like textured grease. It's really surprising because before I gave it up (primarily for health reasons) I imagined meatless food as being really bland and now it turns out to be the opposite.

And hot peppers are awesome. :D

But your average dude on the street is very threatened by it.

Typical response when dining out with a vegetarian acquaintance or coworker: "Oh you're a vegetarian? What the hell is wrong with you? Too bad you're missing out on such great food, you activist asshole! Enjoy your fucking salad!" (Proceeds to order the most meat-heavy dish and devour it in the loudest, sloppiest manner possible in order to attempt to offend).

I haven't eaten poultry of meat in three years, but am not vegan. Spices ooze through the table in our house, and meat-eaters ask me for my recipes. Veggie cooking is like any other; there are many levels. When it's done correctly, nobody misses the meat.

Oh-oh..."nobody misses the meat"...hmmm I can't wait to see what you guys say about that one. Abs?

I always preferred the vegetable korma over the lamb or chicken korma at my favorite Indian restaurant, for a few reasons, but the main one was the larger array of flavors in the veggie version.

Typical response when dining out with a vegetarian acquaintance or coworker: "Oh you're a vegetarian? What the hell is wrong with you? Too bad you're missing out on such great food, you activist asshole! Enjoy your fucking salad!" (Proceeds to order the most meat-heavy dish and devour it in the loudest, sloppiest manner possible in order to attempt to offend).

been there. I'm a full-on eater of more meat than most, and in my Montana time I ran into this bullshit more times than I can count. Maybe it's the line of work I find myself in but if I had a buck for every idiot who actually thought they were funny.........Here. Eat this little pepper, Mister Macho Meat Eater Guy, and try not to cry like a girl. It's just a little pepper, you're not scared, are you? Go ahead! Make me laugh.

I also like to make jokes about them having the meat in their mouth; that crowd seems to be really uptight about that sort of thing. And if there's a nice bit of sauce involved, well the opportunities are endless. Just because I am a responsible adult and everything doesn't mean I'm above getting juvenile and gross at the dinner table. And trust me, when I see that expression of disgust as you put down your fork and push away that plate, I am doing victory laps in my head....and eyeing your portion.

Edited by buddhasynth

Nobody around here acts that way, on either end. When I was in Montana this Spring however, I asked a waiter at a Mexican place if there was chicken broth in the rice. He looked at me, smiled, and said in a really insulting tone "Don't worry, no Mexicans were killed during the preparation of your meal." I also remember being looked at as if I had 12 heads on several occasions in CO. I don't let it bother me. I'm very used to stupidity, being an frequent idiot myself.

I've never understood the idea of one's masculinity having anything to do with their diet.

But apparently around here you're not a maon unless you eat lots of beef and drink weakly alcoholic and weakly flavoured beer.

But yes, hot peppers can be awesome when someone thinks you're a wimp.