Sign in to follow this  
TheLoucheyMonster!

Vegan Absinth

Barnivore is a great website. I only wish they listed vegetarian as well as vegan.

But I always assumed that absinthe was vegan anyway.

How could it not be vegan?

Grape, grain or beet spirit infused with herbs sounds pretty animal-free to me.

Yeah, I couldn't think of anything either. To my knowledge in most non-vegan beers the only issue is the clearing agent.

How could it not be vegan?

Grape, grain or beet spirit infused with herbs sounds pretty animal-free to me.

Honey, for one, would be problematic. Also, I think the processing plant can't have other animal products processed there, bottle lables using natural inks, etc.

I would boycot vegan-sinthe as it would likely taste in a way I do not like. Now absinthe made by a bunch that would roast a whole fucking pig :worshippy: , gets my dollar backed vote.

That, and everything is better with bacon. :)

Only if Joe, Marc, Oxy, and Ted can prove beyond any doubt they never took a good roast beef sandwich into their distillery, or never had any beef jerky there.

There are incriminating pics of a roasted porker within driving distance of Joe's place.

I haven't inspected their wormwood handling gloves and shoes, as they would have to be animal free in order to their absinthe be declared vegan.

Also I store my booze over the stove where many a cow, pig, fish, or bird have been nicely Fricassée-ed.

Hmmm, is yeast plant or animal? I know it is single celled, but even single celled organisms are divided between those that produce their own food (plants), and those that eat other living things (animals).

Fermentation is (single-celled) animal abuse!! We are going to protest the nearest micro-brewer for their exploitative ways, by chaining ourselves to the doors and eat gratons until they see the evil of their ways.

I believe yeast is a fungus, and if mushrooms are considered vegan, I'd argue that yeast is as well. I'd be surprised if there was much of that left over after all of the distillation to get a fermented beverage up to base strength.

Edited by baubel

Honey, for one, would be problematic. Also, I think the processing plant can't have other animal products processed there, bottle lables using natural inks, etc.

I forgot about the labeling although I have never heard of a commercial honey-based absinthe. B)

Yes, yeast is a fungus, and yes it's vegan.

Stop being a dick, Miguel. Vegan doesn't mean shove-it-down-your-throat activist, and it's equally as childish and stupid when meat eaters do it. Especially like right now when it's unwarranted.

Take a chill pill. I'm not being a dick by pointing the obvious silliness of absinthe, or most alcoholic drinks, being labeled vegan. It's neutral spirits and herbs, who the heck needs a label to be sure there isn't a hidden burger in there. Your dickheaded responses to a little humor are just to amusing. A label to tell people absinthe is free of animal content, really?

Rouges colored with cochineal aren't vegan. Granted, rouges are rare in comparison to vertes and blanches, but if someone is using wild crafted partially digested cud to color their vertes, some vegans might take offense at it.

Plenty of folks have asked if absinthe is Kosher, and they didn't get ridiculed even though I've yet to hear of an absinthe that contained pork, shellfish, or meat and diary. I did hear about a chicken going in a still once though.

Either way I view both questions and concerns as valid and should be taken seriously. Some people are genuinely concerned about what they put in their bodies, whether it be for religious, personal or physical reasons. You wouldn't make make fun of someone with an allergy to hyssop or nutmeg and wanted the herb bill listed on an absinthe, would you?