Tang!

But I thought I DID!

Well- I had been doing all of this research and initially thought that I found a great bottle after talking and reading and such - that was the Jade NO.

But then I got to reading about not just good bottles, but now good BEGINNER bottles - and it seems lots of folk are talking positive things about Kübler 53 and Mansinthe. Again, I stress as a BEGINNER.

Did I make a mistake selecting the Jade NO as my first taste? I've taken some advice and held off on the fountain for now, but I'll have what I need to start by the end of the week, along with warm weather and a lot of good hard work outside.

Of course in my additional reading I also see that PLENTY of people go Ga-Ga over the Jade PF 1901. Something that at the moment it seems I can only get from an overseas seller. I wish DUNY would get on the band wagon just a tiny bit more.

I have had the NO for months, unopened and awaiting. Does anyone feel strongly that it would be best to pick up either of the other two first to get my feet wet? DUNY can get either (or both) of the other two to me overnight ...

The first time should be special - and as right as I can make it ::grin:: Any opinion from those experienced would be greatly appreciated.

Let's say you wanted to get into wine. Would it be a mistake to buy a $30 - 40 bottle of wine or (since you're a beginner) go with a bottle of Boone's Farm?

If you hadn't tried beer, would it be a mistake to start sampling some great glasses crafted by microbrewery artists instead of choking down a few horse-piss commercial pilsners?

You chose just fine. Welcome to the land of Good Flavor. :cheers:

Nothing wrong with starting out with some of the good stuff, but as a first taste of absinthe you might miss some of complexity of the taste. Personally I prefer the 1901 to the NO, but they are both great absinthes, as are all the Jades. The advantage to starting with Kübler from my point of view is that it is a vary basic absinthe. You can then develop your taste from there. If you have the NO, start with it, no reason to pay the cost to overnight a different one to you, though you might want to order a bottle so you can compare the NO to one of them.

Just my $0.02 :cheers:

Edited by DesertWolf

Typically "beginner" absinthes are good so that you don't shell out a bunch of money before you know if you even like absinthe or not. Where you might not be able to pick out all of the nuances just yet, it'll still be delicious.

Not a bad choice at all, but a little spendy. I usually recommend a good, easily available absinthe to beginners. Leopold Bros. around these parts enjoys a spot on many shelves in my town. Plus there are smaller (375 mL) bottles which lessen the damage on the wallet just in case the person doesn't like absinthe. Kübler and Mansinthe in other areas are easy to come by and although they aren't fantastic, they don't taste like hairspray either.

So to me good beginner absinthes are real authentic absinthes with at least a decent flavor, that someone can just go out and get. I'd never suggest crap, nor would I suggest something nearing $100 a bottle for someone who has never tried absinthe.

But crack open the Jade NO if you have it, it's one of my favorites! :cheers:

I don't believe in "beginner" choices, when it comes to alcohol, or any other ingestible.

My first beer experience (at 13) was Ballantine IPA.

Do I regret not beginning with Spudweiser or Spiller?

Hell no!

Your first choice was just fine, and many of us who began their absinthe adventure before the onset of this millenium would have been thrilled to have the opportunity to start so high. :cheers:

Typically "beginner" absinthes are good so that you don't shell out a bunch of money before you know if you even like absinthe or not. Where you might not be able to pick out all of the nuances just yet, it'll still be delicious.

Thanks to Brian's price list, some of the more affordable offerings are quite good also. Some of my favorites, are quite affordable.

Exactly. Typically if we bring an absinthe to a party it's going to be something relatively inexpensive so we can generously offer it out, not have to serve something we drink all the time (which we'd like to have a much larger supply of,) and if there's some sort of drunken accident it's not a massive loss.

That said, as far as value to taste goes, I love Obsello, but probably wouldn't consider taking it to parties even though it's inexpensive (having to do with keeping my own tasty supplies well stocked.)

You start sightseeing in Paris, did you ruin yourself for Rome? It all depends on personal taste and there is a great big world to be seen...

and tasted... is Jade the best? To whom?

To steal a line from Beetlejuice:

This is what happens when *you* die.

That is what happens when *he* dies.

And that is what happens when *they* die.

It's all very personal

and I hear some even die in the afternoon.

Thanks guys - I was getting all stupid over nothing. Yeah - this WAS a pricey bottle for me to start out, but I wanted to give myself the best chances that I'd like it. Like it or hate it, I have committed myself to the bottle. I figure after 20+ drinks if I have not found any redeeming qualities on a fairly popular bottle, then I will jump off that bridge when I get to it. But Ryan has a very good point regarding Paris and Rome regardless of what happens.

Hell ALL of you make some very good points! But most of all Scott hits it on the nail. ::grin::

It’s 90 degrees and humid here in New England today. Sometime very soon, I am going to set aside some time to open this up and see how things roll. I gotta figure out what to measure my water with tho. I’m going to follow the The Dilution Matrix here at WS to start things out, and experiment to taste from there.

Scott is way good at what he does. I like your idea of buying the best you can find, going by reviews, and you'll either love it or hate it. The damage is done and the money is spent. If it was a $70 bottle of booze claiming to be absinthe.....you may not be with us. The review section is a very nice place to start.

There are some mighty fine absinthes out there just waiting for you to try.

Have fun with your experiments. Cheers!

Tangi, where in New England are you? I happen to be up that way in a few weeks, then again a week later, in two different States. I DO have that traveling suitcase of Absinthe! :) PM me to see if I'm passing through your area (if you'd like, of course)!

Well- I had been doing all of this research and initially thought that I found a great bottle after talking and reading and such - that was the Jade NO.

But then I got to reading about not just good bottles, but now good BEGINNER bottles - and it seems lots of folk are talking positive things about Kübler 53 and Mansinthe. Again, I stress as a BEGINNER.

Did I make a mistake selecting the Jade NO as my first taste?

No, you're fine. Enjoy your NO...it's very good stuff.

You kids these days have it so easy. I got my first bottle in a local shop, I didn't know anything about absinthe. It was Hapsburg.

Next bottle, I read about the most authentic absinthe out there, it was La Fée.

Then I really found out what was what, and my next bottle was Nouvelle Orléans!

Somehow due to absinthe I've made friends all over the world, and now live in another country, all because of absinthe. Perhaps my advice should be to stop drinking.

You kids these days have it so easy.

Yes, you kids do. :tongue:

When I hopped on the subway in NYC, and visited this really eccentric herbal shop in Greenwich Village (back in 1976), I came home with the ingredients for "genuine absinthe", and followed a (maceration) recipe that came out of an 1880 tract of homemade cordials and liqueurs.

The result was even more undrinkable than early Boggy efforts, let alone Hapsburg.