Sign in to follow this  
Beautiful Loosher

Absente "now with wormwood" 55%

I picked up some Absente, 750ml 55% a little less than $35. The box now indicates it is made with A.a.

Louche is quick forming, kind of a weak start, middle very much with the sweet anise, star anise I guess, and there is some wormwood towards the end of the middle. No extra sugar is needed. The artificial coloration is apparent.

Sort of a 'poor man's Lucid', maybe, but at almost half the price more than halfway as good as. Def much more enjoyable than Mata Hari, LTV, Pernod etraits.

(sorry not to have posted for a while, i've been busy, and then sick, and then sick of being busy, then busy being sick).

On principle, I'd drink my own piss before I drank this swill. And that's coming from a guy who just punished himself with a bunch of the worst shit made in Europe during the Rocky Mountain Green Hour.

We voted. The best of the worst was Apsinthion, and the worst of the worst was Techienne (it was a close call between that and Rustic).

swill.

Thanks to many of the fine folks here at the WS, I was spared alot of suffering (I managed to avoid the brand in question entirely), and while Strong68 and Abshoft were among my earliest forays into the world of absinthe (my Muse was a frequent Alandia customer), I'm none the worse for the wear - AND I now know what high quality, traditionally-crafted absinthe should taste like.

:cheers:

Sorry about that Rustic guys. Actually... blame my girlfriend, she is the one who gave it to me as a "gift".

Edited by Pierre

Of course you'd be the one to reference that movie.

No more Absente for me. Picked up a one-shoter 2 years ago around Christmas for a lark. Made with A.a. or not, you could put a unicorn tear in it and it would still taste like garbage.

Though I do remember rating it considerably higher than I thought I would have during a blind tasting in O.C.

You're a brave man. Lucid is the bottom of what I'm willing to try, this side of pastis or Herbsaint.

I enjoy Herbsaint a hell of a lot more than Lucid, for what it's worth. And it's cheaper, too.

Sorry about that Rustic guys. Actually... blame my girlfriend, she is the one who gave it to me as a "gift".

Haha...if I did that, Tatan would assume we were breaking up. :laugh:

I enjoy Herbsaint a hell of a lot more than Lucid, for what it's worth. And it's cheaper, too.

I concur. I meant to say Lucid is as low down the ratings that I'm willing to go for absinthe. I do still enjoy the occational pastis and was given a nice dose of Herbsaint by the Jay himself. I remember liking it very much.

Great. I had almost forgotten it. Thanks.

Whether Absente actually does contain absinthium no one can say, but as far as I'm concerned, the artificial color and the addition of a ton of sugar makes it non-absinthe. I'd never drink it as a glass of absinthe, but it would do for cocktails in a pinch.

or if you wanna do some cookin'. I've not used it yet, but I know people who do....and I'm not above tossin' a half glass of fully louched absinthe in the sauce if that's what the palate is calling for.

I think Ron said the Rustic tasted like a centipede.

I forgot about that!

... and to think, Rustic was voted second worse! :poop:

Look at the bright side: there's so much more great stuff to be discovered.

I think Ron said the Rustic tasted like a centipede.

That's funny, me and my brothers and sisters used to call it "caterpillar juice" when you throw up in your mouth a little.

That's funny, me and my brothers and sisters used to call it "caterpillar juice" when you throw up in your mouth a little.

I'm worried that "caterpillar juice" has happened enough that you created a name for it. :blink:

well i definitely lost at the internet with this thread... it *has* been a while since I've gotten any of the better stuff.

I'm sure most people here like an absinthe or absinthe-related product that almost everyone else thinks is awful. I know I do.

In my very limited experience, of which Vieux Carre is probably the high point on the trad side, the French bottle of Absente I got from a friend wasn't terrible. It just wasn't terribly exciting. But it'll find a good place in my Sazeracs, and that's not a bad thing.

I was in a restaurant in a small French town St Cecille les Vignes last night. Absinthe on the menu as an aperitif. Ordered one and requested a view of the bottle. It was this 55, described as an 'extract' and a liqueur. Disappointed I tried the stuff served, fully louched, with ice in the glass and the taste was very much like a big chomp of aniseed, indeed Ricard is generally better. Suprising to see this in France.

Edited by view of the mountain

I do not think the absitnhe 'revival' is quite hitting France like it is elsewhere. I think cheap pastis has been too popular for too long, and it has ingrained itself into the French psyche.

Little bit off the topic thread this point, and speculative, but I also think that culturally absinthe in France is associated deep in the national psyche with threats to the state, national collapse - 1915, the date of the ban, being one year into WW1. The impression I have is that the presumption in the ordinary bars in the ordinary towns is that noone in their right mind would drink it.

I sometimes catch a vibe that many French today feel trapped by the belle époque. Particularly in Paris, where the whole central parts seems entrenched in the late 19th century. Conversely French expats seems attracted to the belle époque out of home sickness. But it is hard to judge the entire nation from a few anecdotal examples.