Jetzster

Sipping Absinthe ;) Listenin' to Music

Haha, okay - regarding music, I am absolutely nerdy in that I love listening to 'neo-cabaret' when drinking absinthe.

Ataraxia's "Paris Spleen" album is so delightfully a mixture of beautiful and goofy, all the while using Baudelaire passages as lyrics.

Oniric's "Cabaret Syndrome", and Revue Noir's "Anthology Archive" - which sounds like if Marlene Dietrich were still around - have accompanied me on my journeys many a time.

Beyond that, I like listening to very old jazz music/big band/French chanson, selected calm ambient stuff, and selected late-19th-Century Classical music.

I also, for whatever reason, like listening to Rachmaninov's "Isle of the Dead".

... I am currently working on a sort of ambient album themed around the Belle Epoque and whatnot. If anyone wants to get involved in that, I'm all ears - it's been quite the undertaking trying to plan out my ideas.

But here's an Ataraxia track. Takes a little while for some people to like this band - most of their stuff is very neo-Medieval, but they work in concept albums, like this one, dealing with a variety of different historical periods.

Edited by Wormwoad

Theres only a few neo med artist worth it..one is definitely Dead Can Dance.. The LP Aeon is timeless

'Fortune presents it not according to the book'

Theres only a few neo med artist worth it..one is definitely Dead Can Dance.. The LP Aeon is timeless

'Fortune presents it not according to the book'

Love that band.

I'm also a bit picky. Thankfully there has been a trend of 'musical archaeology' recently, with old written music of the period which has survived.

I have to recommend God is an Astronaut for drinking absinthe. They're my favorite modern band, a tremendously talented Irish post-rock group. Especially recommended if it's time to put that *serious* luvvin on a girl ;)

Jonathan Richman is playing right around the corner on the same day I'm out of town.

It takes two rotations of Modern Lovers - I'm Straight before I'm not.

Hmmm. Interesting little melancholy number there. Unique vocals.

Dark and moody. Nice. I wonder what the soldiers did to her though in the A. Armada piece.