Sign in to follow this  
Mario84

A couple of cents I havent seen anybody dare to spill...

I was thinking about the effects of Absinthe...

Oh no... that very dreaded newbish topic. Well... I hope my newcoming fancy for the effects needn't lay me over to get run over by angry coneisseurs shaking their fists in the air at the agony of Absinthe getting reduced to nay more than an effect - for the ignorant minded youth of the day.

Well, in any case, I would like to state, from my own experience, that there is a unique effect to Absinthe that other spirits simply dont have.

There is no hallucinogenic effect, ofcourse not... it doesnt turn you into a rambling mad raving drunk on its own and there isn't overall that much to fuss about. However, the vague effect with which it embalms the mind is lurky and curious in itself and worth a mention... which i yet havent seen anyone dare do.

I find that when i drink louched drinks very slowly... I mean like 3 drinks over the span of two movies... a drink an hour in other words... I find that it then brings a heavy sedation to the mind, a very opiated state (as it seems). That is, if you allow it... I'm sure if something happened that required me to jump up out of my sedation, my mind would follow like a soldier woken from a slumber, but the floating fairy would still be there, none the less.

I remember a mention from the host of the TV show, "The Thirsty Traveler" on the episode of Absinthe; "All About Absinthe"... where he is drinking the illegal drink with some Belgians around a table in a basement... where at one point the host points out the look of one of the soldiers expression, where he says, "Oh no, there's that look of trouble..."

I didnt know what was meant before I experienced it myself, and remembered that this representation comes through in many old paintings from the when and whereabouts L'Absinthe was all the rage.

My point being, that it tends to lend weight to the drinkers eyes, leaning the sight slanting downwards at an angle... as a response to the fairies whispers... heavy, deep, sedative... but sweet...

So there is definately something happening there.

Well, alcohol is indeed a sedative. ;)

I'm guessing that the title of this thread is implying that you don't think it's discussed here? To the contrary, it's been discussed to death in multiple areas if you just do some poking around. It's also on the main site.

However, the unique effects most commonly attributed to absinthe are stimulative in nature, i.e. a 'more awake buzz'. Further, the chemical most commonly associated with the effects (not thujone, but anethole), is also known to be stimulative in nature. But, as we've mentioned multiple times in multiple threads, each person reacts differently to different types of alcohols (some people say tequila creates an angry drunk, while gin creates a sedated one, etc). Also, the reported effects of absinthe are very mild. That is to say, many people can create the intended effect simply by expecting them to be there.

If you were expecting to be sedated by absinthe (maybe because of examples such as From Hell where he takes his with laudanum), you might have made it possible.

At another instance, following my excitement when having my first real chance to take it all out with the drink, I drank fast and steadily... I had just rejoined with an old friend of mine and drinks were consumed along those rejoicing lines... fast and steadily and with a bit of excitement... with a dash of reflection upon its characteristics... anyway, in this fashion I drank about two thirds of a bottle (alone... my friend couldnt stand the anis taste... so he drank Cognac) and obviously I became pretty well inebriated...

Let it be said, I am a very well adjusted drinker, I can hold my drinks very well and never seem to go out of my way in any fashion... my peronal experience with alcohol in itself (no matter what amounts (within reason ofcourse)) is for me something that clears my mind, calms nerves, stimulates conversation and elevates mood...

Anyway, with two thirds of a bottle of this green concoction at 60% alcohol and "55 mg's thujone" (for whatever that means... I know its very controversial here)... I felt very closely related to the Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland... I felt very loopy... very Looney Toon... I found it almost too easy to laugh and express whatever strange thought I had no matter how fitting or not. I dont think I would seem ready for the Asylum... not that bad... but 'twas pretty interesting in reflection.

All in all I prefer drinking it slow and allowing the sedative qualities to fall neatly into place...

Actually I can feel the embrace of the fairy as she comes in... and I can feel when she begins to depart... and she doesnt last long (for each sip), but there is something unique going on. The lucidity is very true... "attention to detail" some people say... hm... i havent noticed that...

But I might add that on another occasion I drank neat sips from the bottle... which led me to fall into a semi-slumber which lasted a couple of hours and the rest of the night I couldnt sleep. My mind had been triggered too awake to allow sleep, without any overpowering sensation of "stimulation". I just felt uncomfortable, like a sort of semi-fever or something that doesnt allow you to sleep, I lay awake for hours waiting for the feeling of what I thought might be the thujone... to wear off...

I cant reason the incident with anything else, and I am even more aware of this because I usually have very strange dreams the nights I have had me some green sips, with the same edgyness as that night had me awake.

I just thought Id see what kind of responses and agreements/disagreements you others here have about this topic.

As buddha said in other words: Never underestimate the power of the mind. In one story, you mention sedated effects, then in another, stimulative, then in another sedated THEN stimulative.

I've been drinking absinthe for 15 years and have never felt anything to the degree that you've described.

As for thujone, it's been discussed many times that you'd have to drink a hell of a lot more than 3/4 of a bottle to feel any effects from it. And the effects aren't ones of loopiness. They are of renal failure and siezures. ;)

I see what you mean about 'getting what your mind puts into it'... placebo in other words... and yes alcohol is sedative ofcourse... but I am fairly well aged as far as experimentation goes and have in many instances defied placebo. I know alcohol... its truly second nature to me... but this extra quality to Absinthe has something which is hard to put words into.

Its interesting, because I feel this way about a lot of liquors... that Cognac begs a classier 'awake' inebriation where as beer and whiskey are heavier... you know Hops is sedative in itself. Those are my best distinctions. Vodka and Tequila are what they are... I cant put my words on them. Usually when there's a bottle of Tequila at a party and shots around, it becomes a 'Tequila type party' because people are racing them down as shots... almost in competition at times... which obviously begs for a crazier party... Vodka? Sluggish? Maybe because I feel sluggish trying to swallow the shit down. I have never liked Vodka.

And most everybody can agree that the tickling inebriation from wine is the best... I mean, it really is the most euphoric! So there are differences and all plants contain matters that effect us differently, whether they be internationally recognized as active toxins or not.

I feel I am very good at detecting these things in general. For instance Valeriana is very good for nerves and as a relaxant, Valeriana as a tea or as extract in pills at a pharmacy... most people cant feel them, but I really notice them... its all about the subtleties... a lot of people expect an effect to be dramatic to be able to notice it.

Edited by Mario84

No one is denying that absinthe has a little something extra. But it's a little something. And it's actually not as unique as some think it is, as other anethole-heavy spirits can create the same feeling. There are very few absintheurs I know that drink absinthe because of the 'effect'. Many might have initially starting drinking absinthe because of it, but since it's such a vague thing, it can't be the sole reason in continuing to do so.

I drink it because it tastes good. And like good scotch, there is a vast array of intricate flavor differences in different brands.

one story, you mention sedated effects, then in another, stimulative, then in another sedated THEN stimulative.

In this case I forgot to underline the crucial difference from these varying effects... the pace at which one drinks alters the experience. Possibly due to the balance between alcohol and other toxins and how the body absorbs them.

But you've been drinking this for 15 years and so have many others here I imagine... so I'm all ears...

But basically its all bogus and I'm analyzing my drink too much then I guess?

Edited by Mario84

Much of the information out there about absinthe is indeed bogus, yes.

And much of the 'effects' felt while drinking absinthe can be a product of the mind, as several of us have proven with experiments.

But it tastes good. ;)

Don't drink absinthe if you think that you'll experience drug-like effects. You'll be sorely disappointed. Drink it because you like it.

I used to get the "awake buzz" that absinthe gives. But the more I drank it the less I experienced it and I haven't felt it at all in three years or so.

And it was never all that amazing. I mean, it was cool that I could still be pretty aware of what was going on after trying almost everything on a table at a tasting and remember all my mental notes the next day, but part of that is how I process information anyway.

Edit: The reason you haven't seen much discussion about this is that it's an old topic that has been done to death. Most of the discussion about effects these days is in people's Introduction threads.

one story, you mention sedated effects, then in another, stimulative, then in another sedated THEN stimulative.

In this case I forgot to underline the crucial difference from these varying effects... the pace at which one drinks alters the experience. Possibly due to the balance between alcohol and other toxins and how the body absorbs them.

Perhaps the environment in which you were drinking?

Watching a movie. Relaxing in your favorite chair? Sipping slowly? Darkened room? Sounds comfortably sedating. Rejoicing with a friend you haven't seen in a while. Excited to see the friend? Happy? Lots of talking? Lots of catching up? Sounds wonderfully energizing. Sipping straight from the bottle at 69%/138 proof. I'd fall into a deep sleep and then later have strange dreams too.

Absinthe is a wonderful beverage full of wonderful herbs. I don't doubt that you are feeling wonderful "effects". I blathered on about the wonderful effects when I first joined too.

Well I definitely enjoy the taste, it is by far my new favorite... it's very harmonious... enjoyable and really freshens the buds... everything about it, from its first herbal green punch til it rests as a vague licorice layer on the tongue, but what I am drinking now really lacks in complexity, so there is not much more to say than that with this stuff...

Well, in anycase... I am having a louched glass right now and enjoying that little extra something which it gives in addition to the alcohol and taste... be it placebo or not, I dont know, i'm not expecting it, but its definitely there for me, its enjoyable...

In some ways I have already began to notice which situations Absinthe fits well, most distinctive of all: engaging conversations... and for some reason i have an inner craving to just sit outside a caffe here in Norway and watch life roll by drinking Absinthe some nice day... and this being the only drink which has inspired the will to do specifically that... There's something about the way it puts a busy mind to rest (more than I would credit the alcohol for) and rest your eyes in contemplation. I have never had whiskey or wine which inspired me to sit and watch life roll by outside a caffe... but there is something about Absinthe that urges you to sink into scenery somehow... very peaceful...

Agreed.

Except for a couple of my early (and vile) attempts at macerating it, back in the mid 70s, and some of the worst of the Czech and German brands, all of which made me nauseous, hyper, and somewhat irascible. :twitchsmile:

The only effects I have come to notice and appreciate is an overall happiness and well-being when drunk on absinthe. I attribute this feeling to the green fairy. That's right: the imagined one.

I was thinking about the effects of Absinthe... Well, in any case, I would like to state, from my own experience, that there is a unique effect to Absinthe that other spirits simply don't have... the vague effect with which it embalms the mind is lurky and curious in itself and worth a mention... which i yet haven't seen anyone dare do...

So there is definitely something happening there.

I've heard thoughts along the same line...

A moment, if I am allowed, to praise this drink.

Many times over, I’ve enjoyed awakenings - moments when I have realized I am full and deep in the experience of my life. And now, this time, this first glass... is there with me. How does absinthe make you feel; when your vision and your mind run parallel? When you're committed, by the favor of a short sip, to acknowledge not the existence, but the placement of so many things that domestication and misguided effort allow you to overlook: patches of green growth in a neighbors yard, a network of branches punctuated with black birds in a far-off tree, a woman and her daughter pacing their car down your street. I don’t see things fuller, I witness them and stay with them longer. The will for plotting and planning has left me, I want only to see the world; and for absinthe, and for a while, time is on my side.

Sorry to dawdle, the moment is everyone else’s now.

I find being drunk on absinthe to be different to that of being drunk on other high alcohol spirits - a more 'awake' feeling, almost like my brain was wrapped in cotton wool. At first I assumed it was the thujone as that was what everyone claims was what made it special, but having read the numerous posts on the subject I'm assuming it is, as Brian says, the anethole.

Whatever it is, I love it :)

I thought I'd just add this for the hell of it but quite often If I feel a little spaced from imbibing regular spirits and cocktails, it is then that I reach for my absinthe bottle. It may be the anise/ fennel waking me up with their refreshing nature but after that glass I'm good to go again feeling a little more sober and aware. Secondary effects who knows but it happens.

Everything affects everyone differently. I think most of it is mental.

I drink what I'm in the mood to drink.

The herbs in absinthe may do wondrous things for you.......great! My dreams are vivid and very real.

Vodka lets me sleep very well.

Gin is just yummy.

Tequila, I may need more exposure to tequila. I've had several but mostly while I was a younger man and had different things on my mind. Now, I don't heal as fast from tequila.

Brandy, Cognacs and armagnacs I usually sip when I just want to relax and read or when I'm in a quiet and contemplative state.

Beer, it's what's for breakfast. ;)

Like medicine, not all affects of booze are the same to everyone. Except they will all help you fail a drunk driving test. :)

I just want to enjoy my booze and not be fucked with. We all have goals. ;)

:cheers:

The herbs in absinthe may do woundrous things for you.

Perhaps, but I've always found their effects to be rather wondrous.

Unless taken in extreme excess, of course. :tongue: ;)

And, yes, there are those incredibly vivid (and sometimes lucid) dreams. :thumbup:

I saw one of my Facebook friends write 'pairidice' today.

Not to be confused with the singular form of dice, singleofdice, or die.