Sign in to follow this  
Mario84

Greetings from Norway...

Hi there!

I'm pretty much as much of a newb as a newb can get - though I have tried the European (ofcourse European... I'm in Europe) Absente (which does contain A. absinthium and thujone - as opposed to the American export version). Some years ago you would only get Absente in really small bottles (hotel fridge bottle size) but now I see them in 75cl bottles.

But other than that there are no other brands around, and ordering a bottle across the Norwegian border is extremely pricey, possibly double the price, because of tax regulations.

So I'm kind of stuck with this predicament.

In Norway we only have one specific designated state-driven monopoly that can sell wines and spirits... its basically called "Vinmonopolet" (The Wine Monopoly). So its very regulated and you only get about 1 Vinmonopol in every city, maybe 2 if its a big city.

Even though we have Absente at our Vinmonopol, I wouldnt even dare ordering a bottle of another brand from across the border, because the laws concerning Absinthe is still regarded a very grey-area thing.

I have studied botany and plant production though... so one of these days I am going head first into exploring the realms of growing the ingredients and distilling the stuff just right.

Until then I am stuck with this Absinthe essence which should last 40 75cl bottles of pure spirit (60% is the highest form of everclear we can get here). That is a lot to play with, so I have had nice number of experimentations with the stuff, in different settings, in different ways, at different speeds... etc...

Well thats me and my world of Absinthe (as shallow as it is)... but I am deeply interested in the mystique... I love the taste, I love the lore and the bohemian air around it, so I'm looking forward to learning more here!

Don't do it!! You will enter a world of regret! :puke:

You could do some traveling and bring some back, I would imagine. I was in Ålesund last fall. I brought 2 bottles in with me, no problem.

I haven't a clue about distillation laws in your country. Unfortunately, hobby distillation is very illegal in our country. If it is allowed in your country, you might be interested in looking over some of the old distillation manuals (both Duplais & DeBrevans) in the Wormwood Society library.

Welcome to the Forum. :cheers:

Absente (which does contain A. absinthium and thujone - as opposed to the American export version).

FYI, Absente in the states now is the same as in Europe. It's made with A.A. and contains the same levels of thujone (under 10ppm).

Interested in growing absinthe herbs? That can only lead to trouble. Here is a link to references about Gotland A.a. It is a shame the picture of beautiful weeds can no longer be viewed. A mere 14 hour drive give or take and you could be there. I've certainly driven farther to share a glass of absinthe with friends.

Welcome :cheers:

Hei .

Du vil lære mye her... :cheers:

Thanks for lovely welcomes!

Distilling without a license is illegal here, very harshly so... whether or not thats going to stop me in the future from my own personal hobby which only delights me and my closest friends, thats another question.

You were lucky getting those two bottles in the country... and a lot of people try and come through with some luck... but ordering by mail, anybody through the process of postal delivery could tell a bottle... so I'm just not going to risk it.

When i studied botany there was a large herb garden with wormwood on campus and my task at the end of the year was to basically chop it all down and throw it away... what do you think i did with all the wormwood? I took it all home :devil:

Me and my girlfriend had to leave our books at school to have room to fill our bags up with the stalks of wormwood. And thats about an hour from where I live now so next fall i might sneak out and harvest it all - the day before they chop it down and dispose of it anyway.

Back in the day i used to throw wormwood in my home brewed wine... I gave up after a couple of bad results, but I was too eager at the time and have read and learned a lot more about brewing and using herbs since then.

I make a very nice dry white wine these days... and I'm thinking of experimenting with distilling it with wormwood up til about 66% some day... with the wormwood, anis and anisseed and some of the other reccomended herbs. I have a good feeling about the results with my dry white as a base.

I make a very nice dry white wine these days... and I'm thinking of experimenting with distilling it with wormwood up til about 66% some day... with the wormwood, anis and anisseed and some of the other reccomended herbs. I have a good feeling about the results with my dry white as a base.

We didn't hear that.

As a polite reminder from our forum rules thread:

10. No Hobbyist Distilling Discussion; Don't Ask, Don't Tell. That means avoiding any indications, either direct or by innuendo, that you yourself are practicing, intend to practice, or are interested in practicing illegal distilling; we don't want to know about it.

If you need to be told why admitting to committing a felony offense on a public forum is a bad idea, you're too stupid and reckless to be here. There are anonymous distillation discussion boards out there. While there are a small number of artisans around the world producing non-commercial absinthe, there are few, if any, which are producing at anywhere near what could be considered commercially profitable volume. They generally produce absinthe in very small batches, often in one liter batches. Keep in mind, these folks are hobbyists, very much like home brewers and wine makers.

Do not ask anyone where you can obtain illegally-produced absinthe or for advice on how to make your own. Anyone reported for attempting to sell home-distilled spirits via this board, in any way, will be banned without warning. If someone contacts you with an offer to sell illegally-produced absinthe, please report them to a mod or admin by forwarding the PM or email.

Especially Important: The Wormwood Society does not sell any kind of absinthe, clandestine or commercial. We should not be thought of as a "connection" to clandestine or illegally imported absinthe. This is not a tongue-in-cheek, nod-nod-grin-grin-wink-wink-say-no-more disclaimer; we're not kidding.

Welcome to the forum!

I've been looking at Rueverte.com as a place to buy Absinthe online, and spotted this which might be useful for you:

"In view of laws applicable in Norway, we only ship to that country bottles containing a degree of alcohol inferior or equal to 60°. We thank you for your understanding"

Hope it helps!

Consider a trip to Sweden; they have a few nice options in Systembolaget - see the selection here. Duplais and Mansinthe are OK, Blanchette and Nouvelle Orleans are very good. Pere Kermann is to be avoided at all cost. Bringing booze from Sweden in person shouldn't be a problem.

If you find yourself in Oslo, jump on a ferry to Copenhagen and go to a shop called Juuls Vinhandel (www.juuls.dk) - they have a decent selection too.

Hei hei, velkommen til WS! Familien bor i Samnanger området og tanta mi har noen hytter på Handangerfjorden. :cheers:

Very hard to find good absinthe when we're home visiting, but perhaps it's time to start taking a detour via Paris next time we fly into Bergen...