prone2obsess

typically new and ignorant with absinthe

Hello- first I admit the initial or most of the attraction to trying absinthe is

the romantic notion of becoming part of one of those great impressionist

paintings. I read about this years back when it was still considered

poison and only found out about the current situation by reading the promotional

magazine at my local spirits shop. I'm duly amazed at what's I've read and

seen so far by tapping in via internet. Unfortunately I ordered what I too late

read was a lousy example the notorious Stong68- I went from extreme anticipation

to heart break before it even arrived. Alas but I am too cheap to not drink

it anyway and besides I hadn't even tried Absinthe. So Saturday I attempted

to become one of those people from the 1890's, though I don't have the correct

clothes, and tried a Strong68 louche. Thus now I have a couple questions

that I'm hoping at least a few of you will answer for me: 1. I realize this may be

difficult but how would you describe the difference between what I tried and

something you consider a good example? Bitter is not a word I'd use to describe

the taste and 2. should I decide a 2nd try is it worth paying shipping again for

something from Europe->Pennsylania, or locally I could get

a.Grande Absente Absinthe Originale 138 Proof b.Kübler Absinthe Swiss Superieure 106 Proof

c. Vieux Carre Absinthe 120 proof d. Lucid Absinthe Superieure

Vs. I was considering [based on the seller's description [ Amer72 or I'm open

to suggestions if not high price because I may still decide I don't like this.

But I'm duly fascinated so planning to see this through. I do like a wide range of

cuisines, intense flavors like extreme spice / hot peppers / stinky fishes like anchovies

and sardines / etc. So I'm not afraid of the incredibly intense licorice-like experience

I had last Saturday.

My apologies for the long post, what is probably a boring problem for all of you,

and sharing yet another new-to-this here-because-of-absinthe-history.

Thanks for reading- prone2obsess ps. and sorry for firefox via Ubuntu is making your format

tools a little hard to use but I'll figure it out over time- there are several fixes I'd make to

my post if I could.

Unless someone beats me to it, there's a review section on this website you could use to get an idea of other people's impressions of what's out there.

To oversimplify, I would say that Lucid is considered the Budwiser of absinthe; good for what it is, consistent but not remarkable. Kübler would be the Becks or Heineken of absinthe. Vieux Carre would be the Sam Adams. Grand Absente would be kinda like the Odouls in that it's missing the main component that makes it absinthe.

Welcome and enjoy :cool-reaper:

To oversimplify, I would say that Lucid is considered the Budwiser of absinthe; good for what it is, consistent but not remarkable. Kübler would be the Becks or Heineken of absinthe. Vieux Carre would be the Sam Adams. Grand Absente would be kinda like the Odouls in that it's missing the main component that makes it absinthe

That's actually very helpful. Kübler is only $60 a litre and due for a closeout reduction next month so that's probably a decent plan although someone whose judgement I tend to trust told me American absinthes taste like lemonade and I'm in a vulnerable situation here- I hate to emphasize cost but then $60 is a good ways toward probably $80-90 to access a bigger selection. I've been looking through

the reviews but honestly getting more confused the more I read. I'll just have to risk another choice but I wish it could be an ultimate that would truly transport me to a table across a crowded bistro from Edgar Degas and his friends. -prone2obsess

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

I wish I could be of help to you but of those I've only had the Grande Absente (don't waste your money) and the Lucid which wasn't bad.

Misanthrope I like your analogy to Budweiser on that one.

If you really want something which the taste was the first concern in the making, I would pour over the reviews and then hit up either www.drinkupny.com or www.catskillcellars.com if I were you.

I started out on G.A., realized it was horrible, went through the reviews, searched out threads on the ones that interested me and saw what people were saying. I struck gold in my second bottle (Leopold Bros.) and have since used the same approach to find other tasty bottles. It saved me time, money and taste buds :thumbup:

Good luck :cheers:

First, Welcome.

Second, I agree with what everyone has said so far, especially Ryan's recommendation of www.drinkupny.com. They have a great selection and free shipping if you order over $100 or booze.

However, of the local choices you have at your disposal I would say Vieux Carre is easily the best choice. Of course that is personal opinion. I would definitely say stay away from the Grande. It is not very good and have never heard of anyone, liking it (unless they never had real absinthe before).

Ubuntu

Sounds more than vaguely South African. ;)

As to your real absinthe experience, well, you haven't experienced it yet.

I know you say you're cheap, and you're hesitant to go the long green on shipping, but if you really want to give our beloved beverage a fair shake, you should seriously consider a site like Catskill Cellars, and try either Walton Waters or Meadow of Love. I'm not sure if they carry Pacifique, but that's a wonderfully complex, and slightly more delicate brand to keep an eye out for.

If any of those captures your fancy, I'd suggest looking overseas, and trying at least one bottle of the wonderful Berthe de Joux or Perroquet.

By the time you've experienced one or more of the above, your Strong 68 debacle will seem light years behind you.

Oh, and welcome! :cheers:

Welcome from a fellow PA resident! :cheers:

As other have said, Vieux Carre is easily your best local choice--and, believe it or not, it's currently your cheapest as well! I wouldn't describe it as the "Sam Adams" of absinthe; it's a bit more adventurous and well-crafted than that, IMO. At the same time, however, it's also perhaps less traditional tasting than other absinthes. Lucid and Kübler are often the subject of ridicule and disparagement around here, but I maintain that there's nothing wrong with them as a "starter" verte and blanche, respectively. They are simple, straightforward, and good entrees into their categories. It sometimes helps to establish a baseline before you climb the peaks or veer from the beaten path.

Of course, if you decide to order online, your choices broaden considerably. All the other brands that have been mentioned are terrific. And it looks like Ridge verte will be available in our neck of the woods soon. Happy hunting!

...you should seriously consider a site like Catskill Cellars, ... I'm not sure if they carry Pacifique, but that's a wonderfully complex, and slightly more delicate brand to keep an eye out for.

Yes, Catskill Cellars carries Pacifique Absinthe and Voyager Gin. :wave2: Welcome by the way.

Many thanks all. I will continue to check in and make notes so anyone else so inspired please write. So far I think the only specific recommendations available at drinkupny are Pacifique and Vieux Carre and the latter I can buy locally. Your suggestions help me navigate the reviews and I'm gradually forgetting my Strong68-decision misery.

So far I think the only specific recommendations available at drinkupny are Pacifique and Vieux Carre and the latter I can buy locally.

Clandestine and Duplais verte are in stock at DUNY and worth considering too. Jade Nouvelle-Orleans is very good, but--again--it's off the beaten track, as well as being pricey.

Lucid is on close-out in PA in addition to Kübler, so if you decide to go that route, best do so as soon as the prices drop.

welcome!

although someone whose judgement I tend to trust told me American absinthes taste like lemonade

I suggest you stop trusting their judgement. ;)

And if you don't find Strong68 bitter, you'll be really surprised with regular absinthe. Wormwood is the second most bitter herb in the world, and is horribly acrid and astringent when it is macerated. Only distillation makes it palatable.

And if you don't find Strong68 bitter, you'll be really surprised with regular absinthe. Wormwood is the second most bitter herb in the world, and is horribly acrid and astringent when it is macerated. Only distillation makes it palatable.

I tried absinthe for the _2nd_ time this evening and discovered that I like it much better without the water and sugar.

You'll notice that most of the experienced absintheurs don't use sugar either. I haven't for years.

But I'd certainly recommend diluting with water if you're intention is to enjoy the flavor. It's impossible to enjoy the subtleties of a well crafted absinthe at that high of an abv. Alcohol acts as an anesthetic to taste buds, which is why we recommend not tasting it neat before plucking if one is doing a formal review.

Alcohol acts as an anesthetic to taste buds...

It's not surprising that Strong 68 tastes best neat, then. ;)

Seriously, when you get your hands on some of the good stuff, do yourself a favor and mix it with water. Sugar is optional.

Hi there and welcome from a fellow newbie. :wave2:

I'm with you in that I'd rather not spend an outrageous sum of money on something I may not care for. I Googled the phrase absinthe in Pittsburgh PA and found a place called Embury, which apparently has a few different absinthes on hand. You might consider giving them a try and sampling what they offer before committing to buy an entire bottle.