Harry

ABSINTHE SUGAR OR REGULAR SUGAR?

Am I the only one who likes raw (demerara) sugar in absinthe? I don't always use sugar (it depends on the absinthe for me), but I generally prefer to use raw sugar cubes, if I use it at all.

When I first tried sugar, it was Demerara that I used, but I found it to be a bit coarse, and its flavor to slightly overpower the absinthe. (Said absinthe being Un Emile, which had a rather delicate flavor, and an extremely thin louche and mouthfeel).

Soon after, I gave up sugar entirely, anyway.

Absomphe, you've got a point. I didn't use demerara, or any sugar, in my Marteau, but it made the Lucid I tried first drinkable. Regular sugar just made the Lucid sweet, but the demerara helped the taste a lot; and a cube of it soaked in Lucid made a good light desert (at least, I thought so).

I'm a fan of using a teaspoon of agave syrup. It does alter the absinthe slightly in that it makes the texture and mouthfeel a bit more rich and creamy, so for review purposes you might want to pass on it, but aside from that I enjoy the slightly fuller consistency.

I was wondering something similar the other day - what is the best / most authentic sugar to use when drinking Absinthe. I never saw the Absinthe Museum's article about sugar, so reading it now (and might have to give making the old-school size a try)

I got a good laugh from that one Bill, although that line about how well your, umm, absinthe glass fit your hand in the 'Chill' post today is hard to beat. (And yes, that last clause was worded extra-special).

I'm always surprised at how many folks pass on the sugar completely. However, I will say that in experimenting with watering absinthe at 1:1 and 2:1 the other day, it actually tasted sweeter to me at those low ratios than it did at 4:1 and 4.5:1. I'm thinking there might be a correlation between folks who prefer their absinthe without sweetener, and those who also prefer it with less water.

Bill's line about the glass in the other thread cracked me up as well. :pirate:

I knew a woman who used agave syrup or nectar for caipirinhas. I had one once, I can see how it could be used for absinthe.

I'm thinking there might be a correlation between folks who prefer their absinthe without sweetener, and those who also prefer it with less water.

I typically louche up between 3:1 and 4:1. I've never been one to care for sweet beverages though. I prefer dry.

I wonder if there's a correlation between folks who prefer their absinthe with sweetener, and those who prefer their coffee with sweetener.

I haven't had absinthe with sugar in quite a while, but the few times I did try it I felt like there were two very distinct, separate flavors -- the absinthe flavor, and the sugar flavor. The didn't blend well for me into a rounded, sweet-absinthe flavor. I experience the same thing with coffee, and don't care at all for sugar in my coffee. It's probably about time for me to try sugar in my absinthe again as I really only tried it a few times, but I have a feeling it just won't work for me.

And in my case it doesn't seem to be a preference for dry beverages, I like both dry and sweet. Dessert wines, sweet mead, a big hit of syrup in my Sazerac, all of those work just fine for me.

Anybody here like their absinthe one way and their coffee the other?

I rarely use sugar with absinthe, but frequently put a little sugar in my coffee. My use of sugar in coffee is more variable to my moods than my use of sugar in absinthe, but in all fairness, when I'm drinking coffee I'm usually rather moody.

I'm a bit of a fan of Turkish and Cuban coffee though, and I think both are prepared with sugar.

Edited by baubel

I don't drink coffee and haven't for many years. Precious says it isn't good for those around me when I drink the stuff. I used to drink iced tea.....it has also been added to my list of "oh hell no.....don't let him have any" beverages.

I was raised on sweet tea........I'll never intentionally add sugar to tea. I rate it up there with spam and vienna sausages. (monkey peters)

I don't know the difference between agave syrup and nectar. <shrug>

I wonder if there's a correlation between folks who prefer their absinthe with sweetener, and those who prefer their coffee with sweetener.

I haven't had absinthe with sugar in quite a while, but the few times I did try it I felt like there were two very distinct, separate flavors -- the absinthe flavor, and the sugar flavor. The didn't blend well for me into a rounded, sweet-absinthe flavor. I experience the same thing with coffee...

I experience sugar in either exactly the same. And it is worse than just two separate flavors. It confuses my palate and results in a real clash.

And in my case it doesn't seem to be a preference for dry beverages, I like both dry and sweet.

Same.

I'm finding I use sugar less and less these days. There are still a couple vertes that I feel need it, but I mostly use half of a cube, or the equiv in simple syrup. Last night's Jade VS 1898 had no sugar, and I enjoyed it a lot this way.

To my taste, some absinthes and sugar seem to clash. There are others where this is not the case, and I enjoy that touch of sweetness. A year ago, I sugared everything.

"Absinthe Sugar" is a genius marketing ploy that allows a company to sell the exact same sugar for a premium.

While all sugar is not created equal, few (for the purposes of absinthe) are particularily better than others. Like Phoenix, I use (when I sugar at all- less than half the time, these days) Domino Dots, as they are half-sized, dissolve well, and leave little residue.

I strongly recommend you stay away from brown, turb, or any other sugar not just plain old white, granulated sugar. anything else just adds off tastes that don't belong in classically-served absinthe.

Now, in a sazerac? I have been known to muddle demerara sugar over white sugar quite a bit.

Also, never underestimate the convenient power of simple syrup.