Gwydion Stone

Absinthe Marteau and Gnostalgic Distillery

I wish I could say yes, but the distillery doesn't do direct retail sales. The only place Marteau is available in Seattle at the moment is in bars and restaurants. : (

Edit: If it's any consolation, I will be working on getting Marteau into Canada within a few months.

DUNY will be taking pre-orders soon, but these things take time. It's not like I can just FedEx a bunch of cases straight to the stores. I have to go through a distributor who has to submit paperwork to register the brand in NY state and get approval. We're looking at a couple weeks before I can ship to the distributor.

Right now, literally the only place one can get Marteau is to go to one of the local bars in Seattle who have taken delivery.

Since Marteau was already sold in NY I didn't think it needed to be re-registered.Is that an anual requirement like vehicle registrations,or just red tape & more "hoops""?

Marteau was previously produced under a different distillery permit. It's the same reason the label had to be approved again.

If it's any consolation, I will be working on getting Marteau into Canada within a few months.

That would be awesome!

just red tape & more "hoops"

Precisely. From a federal standpoint, I'm starting from scratch.

I had to re-submit the formula and a new sample for analysis and approval by the feds, then the label. The certificate of label approval (COLA) is granted to the specific distillery; it's essentially the distillery's permit to make that brand. The COLA has a unique identifier number, and that number needs to be registered in NY so they know where booze is coming from into their state. If we'd used the old number, it would look like the product was coming from a different distillery.

Saw the reasonable sale price at DrinkupNY and couldn't resist after the Gnostalgic newsletter tipped me off to the short run.

Looking forward to having Marteau again. Although I did already have a reserve bottle of the last batch, and one of Verte Classique. I try to keep the reserve library well stocked. You never know when the zombie apocalypse might arrive.

Didn't you hear?

Some naked guy was shot to death in Miami today, while he was eating another guy's face.

Seriously.

Methinks the Zombie Apocalypse has already arrived. :twitchsmile:

Edited by Absomphe

HA!

Or, (on the very off chance that wasn't meant facetiously) nope, that newsflash was just another AOhell tidbit. :rolleyes:

Edited by Absomphe

Thanks for asking. All the formulas have been approved but one, but they'll have to wait until the Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery in SoDo is open. Then I'll probably do a limited run of each once a year, maybe about 500 375ml bottles each.

I've been waiting since the first run went dry and then finally -

June 2nd, the second day liquor was on private sale in WA, at the Metro Market in West Seattle, at about 9am, I bought their one and only bottle.

Yay!

They also go fast when you're drinking them. I'm convinced there's a little hole in the bottom of the bottle that drains it out faster than I drink it.

(on the very off chance that wasn't meant facetiously)

Off chance? No chance :cheers:

Edited by Jonathan D.

That is because the distiller (uncle G.) has moved and had to get new paperwork to start up production again. Unless I am mistaken, this is not a once a year distillation.

A spike in demand should be expected.

Since Marteau was last on the shelves, many fans are looking to get it again, and many are anxious to try it for the fist time.

As to how well any one shop will predict that spike--who knows. Some may run out quickly, others will have enough to meet that spike.

But if you are like a race horse kicking at the starting gate to get your hands on some, better pre order to be safe! :twitchsmile:

The NY shipment of Marteau was bottled today (336 bottles) and will be picked up on Friday. How long it will take to get to the NY distributor and then to DUNY, I don't know, but it won't be long! It will also be sold at Astor Wine & Spirits and Catskill Cellars.

Thanks for your patience. :cheers: